Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future "Balance" Updates

Demize posted this on Battlelog:

Battlefield 3 multiplayer is deep and diverse, with tons of tactics and factors that can determine the outcome of a match. At DICE we strive to ensure that the game remains Balanced and fresh by monitoring the game and the community’s feedback and providing Balance updates. We know the wait for Balance updates can be killer, and that occasionally we may make a Balance change in an update that is controversial. Rather than waiting until we launch these updates for feedback, today I would like to give you, the Community, a peak into the Balance testing that we are doing here at DICE.

It’s important to note:
    • This list is provided as a way for the Community to give us feedback on potential Balance changes to the game.
    • This list is specifically focused on Balance changes. Feature requests and bug fixes are purposefully absent from this list.
    • There is no guarantee that any of these Balance changes will make it into a future update at all, nor is this list a guarantee that there will be future updates.

Now that the lawyers are happy… bring on the feedback!

Alan “Demize99” Kertz
    Core Gameplay Designer, Battlefield 3

Vehicles:
    Increased the locking distance for Jets when locking on laser designated targets.
    Increased the damage the MBT's primary weapon does to other main battle tanks.
    AA Missiles should no longer kill the pilot instead of the vehicle.
    Tank rounds will now instantly destroy Jets, Attack Helicopters, and Scout Helicopters.
    Using flares too early will no longer distract missiles fired at long range. The missile must be approaching the vehicle in order to reliably be distracted by flares.
    Attack Helicopter Guided Rockets will now only track ground targets, as originally intended.
    Reduced the direct damage done by helicopter gunners vs armor.
    Slightly increased the blast radius of the rounds fired by helicopter gunners vs infantry.
    Vehicle weapons should now suppress correctly.
    Increased the direct hit damage of the APFSDS rounds for the IFVs.
    Miniguns and Helicopter Gunners now more quickly destroy parked cars.

Weapons:
    Significantly increased the damage of Laser Guided Top Attack missiles.
    Javelin missiles fired without laser targeting now do more damage to the side and rear of MBTs.
    Slightly reduced the repair speed of the repair tool.
    Fixed a problem when locking on to two nearby targets, the locking should no longer jump rapidly between multiple targets.
    Reduced the total number of RPG and SMAW missiles carried from 5 to 4.
    Slightly reduced the locking time of all weapons vs Laser Designated targets.
    Slightly reduced the effective blast radius of the RPG and SMAW projectiles against infantry.
    Reduced the recoil of the SKS rifle and slightly increased its power at close range.
    Semiautomatic sniper rifles, Assault Rifles, and LMGs now have more consistent damage over long range.
    Increased the close range damage maximum range of 9x39mm ammo.

Soldiers:
    Increased the spawn protection time from 1sec to 2sec. The protection will still be immediately canceled as soon as the player moves or shoots.
    Spawn protection will no longer be canceled by the player looking around.
    Slightly increased the speed at which a player can shoot again after sprinting.
    Battlelog is a free social platform that ties into Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 3 and lets you socialize, track stats, plan your next game, and more from your web browser!
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Re: Future "Balance" Updates

Some are good, some are bad and even if I participate in the discussion I know my voice will be lost.

Comment

Yes it's strange, they're buffing/nerfing things no one even mentionned. Increased damage between tanks, why?

But it's mostly good and I don't see any "wtf" things like nerfing the G3.

Comment

On they surface they seem Ok, but I became disillusioned when the last patch made me realize they were going to start again with their cycle of balance SNAFUs.
        e.g the last time they apparently boosted the AH enough to let a good pilot ruin the map and now its getting 4 nerfs at once

*Tank rounds will now instantly destroy Jets, Attack Helicopters, and Scout Helicopters.
        *Using flares too early will no longer distract missiles fired at long range. The missile must be approaching the vehicle in order to reliably be distracted by flares.
        *Attack Helicopter Guided Rockets will now only track ground targets, as originally intended.
        *Reduced the direct damage done by helicopter gunners vs armor.

They just seem unable to hit anything between "overpowered" and "useless", and in the end we would have been no worse of if they had done no balancing at all since the games release.

Comment

Yeah, DICE made a big deal about "micro patches" and yet dont do that. They talk about the hours and hours and hours they put in to balance everything and then they start making all these crazy changes. Leave stuff alone for a while. Let people figure out the weapons and how to use them. THEN make adjustments.

When all is said and done youre going to end up with the same weapon that is just reskinned.

Comment

Once again more lost faith in DICE's ability to balance a game.

Comment

I dont know, 2142 was pretty close minus the PK rockets and the late increase on that one shotgun.

I just hope they are really looking at hard data and not the comments on the boards. If they listemed to everyone then eventually everything will get touched at one point or another. It will never stop.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                Yeah, DICE made a big deal about "micro patches" and yet dont do that. They talk about the hours and hours and hours they put in to balance everything and then they start making all these crazy changes. Leave stuff alone for a while. Let people figure out the weapons and how to use them. THEN make adjustments.

When all is said and done youre going to end up with the same weapon that is just reskinned.
                Right! Wasn't this the whole crux of the Steam/Origin fiasco that started back with patching BC2? They could stream stuff just fine with Xbox/PS3, but when it came to having to deliver updates through steam, their was a fight about it. They used that leverage to get Origin shoved on everyone's box with the promise of quicker tweaks, updates, rollbacks.

Comment

I think its just the mentality. We have all these fixes, but lets hold on because these others are soooo close to being done. Then another is added and another and before you know it you have a 100MB patch, or whatever size.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                    I think its just the mentality. We have all these fixes, but lets hold on because these others are soooo close to being done. Then another is added and another and before you know it you have a 100MB patch, or whatever size.
                    I am no fan of micropatches.
                    My department has been fighting for years to have developers deliver well-tested quarterly releases, instead of a constant stream of quick-fixes that end up causing new quick-fixes ad infinitum

It wastes everybody's time and costs precious downtime.

Emergency patches is another matter, but I don't think balancing qualifies for that title. Not even when its Demize doing the balancing

Comment

I think they really just need to look at how Valve does things. Both of these companies have large teams, and they can deligate a programer or two that will do the very minor tweaks that go in and the heavy lifting patch work goes to the back office that shows up every several weeks.

Comment

sounds like hand held stingers gets a buff.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketChild
                          I think they really just need to look at how Valve does things. Both of these companies have large teams, and they can deligate a programer or two that will do the very minor tweaks that go in and the heavy lifting patch work goes to the back office that shows up every several weeks.
                          Pffft id be happy if dice was half of valve lol

Comment

I would like stingers to get a bit of a buff, and the flares thing mentioned in the patch updates is good gives me a chance to take them fast air down.

Comment

The tank cannons needed a buff for hitting other tanks.

Tanks can just trade shots without ever dying if they've got a wrencher, It's retarded.
                              So can other armor vehicles.

Complaining about aircraft being one hit by tank shells? Come on. It's one of the most difficult things to do in the game and how it is now you can't even kill aircraft with a tank shell unless they were already hurt.

Comment

Working...
                              X