Jet discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet discussion thread

Jets were the top of the food chain in Battlefield 2 since nowhere was safe from their Mk.82 bombs and machine guns. Below jets are helicopters, transport helicopters, tanks, APCs, transportation vehicles, and finally infantry. In Battlefield 3 jets are no longer the overpowered slaughter machines that could determine the outcome of the round. They're just a background nuisance, and even a good jet pilot can only break maybe 20 kills in a round.

I believe jets should be a lot harder to take down considering the little effect they have on the battlefield. I'm not sure if the jets themselves need to be improved, or the things below. Things like guided missiles only doing about 50% damage to tanks and APCs, and the same goes for helicopter TV guided missiles. Does anybody miss the instant-death TV missiles from BF2 choppers?

I personally think everything has been dumbed down, and the hardest hit subject being fixed-wing aircraft.

Are you pleased with the jets, should they be changed, and if so, how?

Re: Jet discussion thread

Haven't used them much just enough to unlock missiles and flares. Allied Intent Xtended had jets loaded with AGMS, AA, cannons and they were pretty cool, i dunno about the further unlocks for Jets on BF3, but on the many rounds i have played it seemed they were most effective in AA, taking down other jets and choppers.

Its rather difficult for me to concentrate cannon fire on a tank for example, but i wouldn't be much of a talker on the subject as i will probably use it last as with my recon class.

Comment

I like them. Ive been able to take a lot of vehicles down and with the last patch infantry. Im on the fence if they need a boost or not. Ive myself more than a nuisance a number of times on servers and end up becoming the focus to the enemy team. When you have that many people shooting at you, you should be taken down or be forced out of the area a little bit.

I think if the AA worked in BF2 that the same thing would have happened. An example of this is Operation Clean Sweep. It had a number of mobile AA and mountain cover and even though jets were powerful, they were not dominate on the map.

I still think that jets should not be disabled until 25-30%. I still think 50% is too much, but I dont think DICE is going to change that. They want you to choose the fire extinguisher to stay up, but its reload time is a bit long.
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I havent played since the patch, but I found them enjoyable as a pilot and tolerable as a tank driver. In other words they are just another tool on the battlefield, just as it should be.

Comment

get rid of those guided misses, they are nothing but a burden.......it's all about the rocket pods.......one good run, full rack of rockets and a little hosing with the gun CAN take out a tank in just one pass, but it requires a slow approach so you don't attempt this until you've made sure the sky is clear of enemy, 3rd person view is crucial for this. Once you learn to lead targets with the cannon it's a game changer. The jet buff was the dumbest thing they ever did, you just wait, it will be a nightmare once pilots have everything unlocked and get really really good.

I kinda like the direction they took with the jets, jet pilots are usually dog fighting it out and don't have too much time to harass the ground forces....all depending on if the enemy has a decent pilot of-course.....and if he does and you put 2 equally matched pilots in the sky the reward for displaying their skill-set and duking it out with each other through some epic dog-fighting is little to none as far as the scoreboard is concerned.

I will agree, fixed wing aircraft have been neutered regarding their importance in the overall outcome of the match, the A10 and Frogfoot need to be implemented into all maps that contain fixed wing assets for a little variety, having vehicles that are limited to only one game mode is just dumb.

Comment

I've unlocked everything for the jets. I've complained about them before and still don't really feel like they are up to my standards.

I feel they need to lower the disabled level first and foremost. 50% is way too high. Half the time this turns rounds into flying over the map once, trying to shoot some tanks, getting hit by the overpowered MAA or the Stingers or a helicopter with AA missiles or whatever and then having to fly around until your health regens.

I also thing they should increase the maneuverability and handling. The controls are way too simple. You basically have two speeds: afterburner and cruise. It's possible to slow down significantly as well, but it takes some work. The turning is terrible as well. They need to increase the handling so that experience pilots can take advantages of different maneuvers so dogfighting isn't flying in circles until someone loses the other person or gets bored.

The cannon on the fighter jets needs to be buffed so it doesn't only scratch vehicles. It shouldn't be on the level of the attack jets, but should be able to deal maybe 40% damage with a full burst. It also needs more splash damage so that it can kill infantry. Since the patch, I've been able to kill one infantry, but I found it it was an admin and I got kicked... Rocket pods should be buffed in some way, but I'm not sure how. It isn't really worth the risk to slow down enough and fly straight to only get a 100 vehicle disable if you manage to hit all 14. Guided missile always needs to do a disable and, if hit from the rear, an instant kill.
            Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

I would like to see better joystick support. I mean having to launch single player just to spend 5 minutes having to clear and completely remap the controls just to get a flight-stick to work is frustrating. Not to mention that you can't log into a server that's empty and just fly around to get a feel for how jets handle. Kinda frustrating in my opinion.
              "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt." -John Winger (Bill Murray) Stripes

Comment

Originally posted by DunkinSPE
                I would like to see better joystick support. I mean having to launch single player just to spend 5 minutes having to clear and completely remap the controls just to get a flight-stick to work is frustrating. Not to mention that you can't log into a server that's empty and just fly around to get a feel for how jets handle. Kinda frustrating in my opinion.

use the relmware BF3 settings tool to change your maping outside of the game, http://bf3.realmware.co.uk/

one of the most useful tools out there for BF3 and changing your control mapping.

Comment

You have more than a disable if you land the 14 rockets, the tank lose a lot of hp and is ready to die in the next run or if there's some friendly AT soldiers near it. Any more damage and it would be op.

Jets are fine, if you buff them they will dominate too easily especially since only another jet is really able to kill a jet (AA missiles are easy to avoid with flares). The only thing I can agree is : lower the disable threshold so you don't burn at 50% (moer like 30%) and a little splash damage on the cannon to be able to kill infantry.

Comment

Originally posted by Infernalis
                    You have more than a disable if you land the 14 rockets, the tank lose a lot of hp and is ready to die in the next run or if there's some friendly AT soldiers near it. Any more damage and it would be op.
                    I agree, empty your missile pods and then you should still have a couple of seconds to rake the target with your cannon. It works well enough for me.

Comment

Rush mode - jet rape, staying alive an entire round destroying anyone that dare get in a vehicle, even missile and gun killing infantry, I get silly scores in that like 30-40 kills for no deaths easily

conquest - a bit harder, but more fun because you have to watch out for air targets as well, but if you use the rocket pods (ATGMs suck, good thing they are getting buffed) you can still plow through tanks with a very good bomb run, key is to use some coordination and pick targets properly rather than just flying around the map thinking you can just own everyone bf2 style

find targets that are nearing team mates or already in combat, help them out and its much better

planes are a lot more integrated by necessity in BF3, which is good and I like them

they shouldn't really have nerfed stingers vs jets, since they aren't a threat tbh

Comment

BF 3 should be bigger and then jets can be faster/stronger, infact if the maps were bigger it would be more tactical and less deathmatch .

I dont have a problem with jets, im good at them but you can see there speed is slower to compensate for the small maps.Sure it feels fine and we cant have another bf2 air rape game.

My gripe will always be these small clusterfuch maps, its crippling BF!!!!!!!!!

p.s your better off using cannon on other air targets ftw (if your a good aim)

Comment

There speed is no slower than in BF2.

Also, 17 kills and 27 destroyed vehicles is good in jets?

Most map played - Operation Metro

Hmmm. Yes, crippling.
                          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Working...
                          X