Battlefield 3 lead platform 'switched to consoles' mid-development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 3 lead platform 'switched to consoles' mid-development

DICE moved focus from PC to meet release date, reveals GM.

Battlefield 3's lead development platform "switched" to consoles in mid-production, DICE GM Karl-Magnus Troedsson has confirmed.

The DICE boss shared the news in the latest issue of PSM3, where he revealed that despite Battlefield 3 looking very much like a shooter designed for advanced PC hardware, the latter stages of Battlefield 3's construction lead on PS3 and Xbox 360 in order to meet release on time.

"We said originally that the PC was the lead SKU of the game, but in mid-production we switched to console as lead platform to make sure we could get all the versions done for release," Troedsson confirmed.

"Our ambition at DICE is to use the power of each individual platform to get the most out of the game," he added.

"In the case of the PS3... I understand that if you compare it to a high-end PC, it's not going to look as good. But if you compare it to other games on the PS3, including other games we've done previously, I have to say I'm very happy with how it looks.

"Hopefully people will agree when they look at it in the same way."

EA previously said it lead development on PC because that audience "has been the one complaining."

SOURCE

Re: Battlefield 3 lead platform 'switched to consoles' mid-development

This explains a lot.

Comment

So in other words, they lied when they said the PC was lead platform.
      That explains the crappy user interface.

Comment

That and the small maps and the begging we even had to do for the inclusion of the commo rose. And probably why the commander position was left out.

Comment

So all those people that everyone though were trolling by saying that the game was designed for consoles were right.
          Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Wow.

Yea, I'm officially disappointed in this release. Anyone want a cheap gaming computer?

Comment

OMG, are you people never happy? Sometimes I'm not sure which is worse. Play on xbox and listen to kids who's voices haven't changed yet question my sexuality. Or play on PC in the land of the eternally grumpy.

I guess I could stop reading forums and finding out how terrible these games I enjoy really are.

Comment

Wait a second, so they'd lied straight till the end and have been working on console's since half way through production! That like what 1-2 years ago PC was lead platform, and they were feeding us lies! I'm not to surprised I guess the game is horribly consolely. It's a really good game, so was BC2, but it wasn't what I really expected out of a sequel to BF2. I hope someone runs BF2 through Frostbite 2 filter and recreates the game 1-1 the best they can(if we get mod support)[unlikely] think how epic that would be. I won't lie however, I lost faith in dice for lying so openly. *Battlefield has been such a successful series. My fear is they will become like COD did after COD1 where it changed completely to conform to a different group. Yeah you will make a ton of money, but it's no work of art that will be remembered.
                PSN: Xclusiveitalian
                Steam: Stryker
                Origin: Xclusiveitalian
                Twitch: Stryker218

Comment

Originally posted by Cantina_Fly
                  OMG, are you people never happy? Sometimes I'm not sure which is worse. Play on xbox and listen to kids who's voices haven't changed yet question my sexuality. Or play on PC in the land of the eternally grumpy.

I guess I could stop reading forums and finding out how terrible these games I enjoy really are.
                  I'm usually on your side, but the game is getting slightly boring already. Although this might just be a significant shift in my priorities because I would rather spend my money on guitar gear and girls.

Yea, I'm being that guy right now.

Comment

I am enjoying the game but if DICE would only release PC specific maps post release then the game could be great.

Comment

Originally posted by stilla-killa
                      I am enjoying the game but if DICE would only release PC specific maps post release then the game could be great.
                      This. Including new vehicles, such as planes for 2 passengers such as bf2

Comment

Those mutha farkers

Comment

What a fuckin joke now I know why I'm so fuckin dissappointed in this turd they call BF3, the epic sequel to BF2. DICKS I mean DICE last time you fooled me and I hope your company goes belly up broke as hell. This fuckin shit might make me buy Call of Duty games just to throw in my fire place so your full of shit company will always be second fiddle. Should have never sold your ass to EA and I shouldn't have donated money to this half ass title, that was hailed to be something spectacular and to find out it's another BS port. Time to find a new war game. Never again and don't bother making DLC good luck tryin to push that shit on people with brains. Fuck Dice!!!!

Comment

*Rolls eyes*

Not to sound overly optimistic, but at least having us in mind for the first Half of Development means alot. Fucking hell, we have DX11 support right out the box If im not mistaken, wish I could say the same about Crysis 2. It looks great and plays rather nicely.

Originally posted by idontcare
                            What a fuckin joke now I know why I'm so fuckin dissappointed in this turd they call BF3, the epic sequel to BF2. DICKS I mean DICE last time you fooled me and I hope your company goes belly up broke as hell. This fuckin shit might make me buy Call of Duty games just to throw in my fire place so your full of shit company will always be second fiddle. Should have never sold your ass to EA and I shouldn't have donated money to this half ass title, that was hailed to be something spectacular and to find out it's another BS port. Time to find a new war game. Never again and don't bother making DLC good luck tryin to push that shit on people with brains. Fuck Dice!!!!
                            So you want to support a company that is even more eager to see the death of us? Sure, you're not playing it, but if you think Dice is bad with PC support, where were you the last 2 CoD games? I didn't even get black ops but I can tell that DICE, even with the teething problems of BF3 have done a lot more for us than we realise.

Why is suddenly everyone forgetting 64 player support?
                            Why are we forgetting that they DID give us the commo rose as it was released?
                            Do I even need to mention that grapics actually make use of our higher-end GPU's and the game doesn't rely on your processor as much as BC2?

Comment

I just want the Back To Karkand pack, I really hope they didn't screw Karkand and Oman.

Not a lot of good Battlefield maps in BF3, except for Caspian and OP Firestorm.

Comment

Working...
                              X