Am I doing it wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I doing it wrong?

Ok, noob question, but I can't seem to figure it out. Whenever I fire the Engineer rockets, they always seem to nose dive immediately. I know in previous BF games, you could stay zoomed in and guide them further. I'm also familiar with the RPG from BC2, but I've tried what feels like every combination of holding right-mouse, left-mouse. And I'm not talking really long range shots here.

I feel like I'm missing something very basic here.

Re: Am I doing it wrong?

They do dive, but at longer distances. It seems like you dont know how far your target is and its too far. If the rocket is not a lock on rocket, you just shoot it and forget it. You cant guide them.
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

The rocket drop is much more exaggerated and the rocket speed is much lower in this game, so you have to get used to them. They are unguided as well, so you have to aim before you fire. I think the Javelin may be guided though.
      Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Yes the Javelin is guided but it's better to get used to the rocket drop of the SMAW/RPG, you have more rockets, can kill infantry quite effectively and don't have to wait for the lock (plus the tank can break the lock with the smoke). And sometimes the missile of the Javelin hit something else.

Comment

Ok, so I seem to have gotten the hang of the default launchers now. I'm just going to list a few other things I found less than intuitive or just odd.

Deploying a Bi-pod: I flopped around like a fish out of water as Support trying to figure out how to set that thing up. I didn't see it anywhere in the key binds. Shift+Right-click really? We have "T" for Tac Lights, and "V" for RoF select, but a strange button+mouse click combo for Bi-pod? Why not "B"? Shift+right-click actually works well once you know about it. Just not very intuitive.

RoF Select: Why do we need a separate key for this? In BF2, you just tapped the same key you used to select the weapon to toggle through it's modes. This worked well. How does it work on consoles? With limited button options, I can't see one dedicated to this when the old way worked fine.

Knifing: Not the quick knife you get with "F", actually deploying your knife. I have the quick melee "F" bound to my mouse thumb button, same as a lot of people, I'm sure. Melee is common enough in FPS games, it's like left-click to shoot, right-click to aim. The problem is, when I come up behind someone "so not paying attention, I can't NOT knife them," and get my knife out. I still hit the thumb button instead of left-click! I've done it 3 times now.

Anyone else come across something in BF3 so far that's just made them feel dumb?

Comment

Originally posted by Cantina_Fly
            Ok, so I seem to have gotten the hang of the default launchers now. I'm just going to list a few other things I found less than intuitive or just odd.

Deploying a Bi-pod: I flopped around like a fish out of water as Support trying to figure out how to set that thing up. I didn't see it anywhere in the key binds. Shift+Right-click really? We have "T" for Tac Lights, and "V" for RoF select, but a strange button+mouse click combo for Bi-pod? Why not "B"? Shift+right-click actually works well once you know about it. Just not very intuitive.

Yeah, you have to click and HOLD your zoom in mouse button and it will deploy. Its weird, but you get used to it.

RoF Select: Why do we need a separate key for this? In BF2, you just tapped the same key you used to select the weapon to toggle through it's modes. This worked well. How does it work on consoles? With limited button options, I can't see one dedicated to this when the old way worked fine.

IDK, thats how they did it.

Knifing: Not the quick knife you get with "F", actually deploying your knife. I have the quick melee "F" bound to my mouse thumb button, same as a lot of people, I'm sure. Melee is common enough in FPS games, it's like left-click to shoot, right-click to aim. The problem is, when I come up behind someone "so not paying attention, I can't NOT knife them," and get my knife out. I still hit the thumb button instead of left-click! I've done it 3 times now.

You have to select your knife to get the animation and the dog tags. Doing a quick knife is for emergency use only and will not register as a dog tag kill. Change your mouse button to deploy the knife and then you click it your attack button. You learn and adjust with it.

Anyone else come across something in BF3 so far that's just made them feel dumb?
            The EoD bot is giving me fits.
            My comments in bold.

Comment

For bipods, I have only been using the right mouse button. If you are by cover and press the RMB, the bipod automatically deploys (for me at least). It's annoying though, especially when you don't want to deploy it.
              Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

That's not true Crush. I have never pulled out my knife as a primary weapon (meaning my gun is holstered). I've always got behind someone and used the F key. I have 4 taken tags (http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3.../362113026/pc/). I know, not much, but the melee gives me tags.

Comment

Originally posted by John Carr
                  That's not true Crush. I have never pulled out my knife as a primary weapon (meaning my gun is holstered). I've always got behind someone and used the F key. I have 4 taken tags (http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3.../362113026/pc/). I know, not much, but the melee gives me tags.
                  I can confirm that, I have only used quickknife too, and gotten a couple of tags

Comment

Hmmmm, probably another bug then as it will not work for me and it was said some time ago that quick knife wouldn't count. I had to change my mapped key because of that as well.

Crush

Comment

Considering how often I knife (read: never) remapping the mouse button is probably the way to go. Don't you get more points for an actual knife kill too? I thought one of the montage video's I saw from Beta had the guy getting 300pts per kill instead of 100? Otherwise, what's the point of having a knife as a selectable weapon?

Comment

Doesn't matter which way you knife them, but you only take their tags if you sneak up on them from behind. When your facing them no tags.

Comment

Originally posted by Infernalis
                          Yes the Javelin is guided but it's better to get used to the rocket drop of the SMAW/RPG, you have more rockets, can kill infantry quite effectively and don't have to wait for the lock (plus the tank can break the lock with the smoke). And sometimes the missile of the Javelin hit something else.
                          Yes, the Javelin is a disappointment
                          I can hit just as well with the unguided rockets at the range it can lock on its own, and be far less exposed.
                          And much AT combat tales place up close where it is useless.

But I think I will start levelling a Recon to get SOFLAM, since I have a couple of friends working their way through Engineer too.
                          I am not much for sniping, but I just unlocked Frag rounds for the DAO-12, and it is great fun in CQB so I will just use that to level on appropriate maps.

Comment

I am working toward the soflam and the mortars. I think both will be very helpful.

Comment

The quick knife is really no good for me if I miss. Since I'm going support with the M249, it takes so long to shoulder the gun and I can't quick knife after the first try until the gun is fully shouldered again. Almost messed my pants a few times over that when I thought I was close enough, then promptly found out I wasn't.

I've gotten to the motars and they are pretty cool but you've got to be mindful of where you set up. First, you're a sitting duck because you're focusing on the mini map to aim your mortars. Secondly you have to be mindful of what's around the setup area, because it will hit overhead things such as trees (eventually one fell on my head before I figured it out). I've set up next to buildings and it will actually collide with the building on the upward trajectory, took me awhile to figure that one out too. If you listen close you can hear your motar go the whole way through the sound effect when it makes it to the target. But if the other team is bunched up in an area it can be deadly as heck, but other times it's a snoozefest.

Comment

Working...
                              X