Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 3 To Ship With Release Day Patch

Source
    On the same day that Battlefield 3 is released, October 25th, a patch fixing bugs and making general improvements will be made available. While this may seem an odd thing to do, it's being done, because the developer DICE are perfectionists and want to released the best possible product. This means that development will continue right up to release day and the patch includes the sorts of things one would expect, such as added features as well as the bugfixes and is available for free on all three gaming platforms. This is the official statement from DICE about the patch:

Copies are set to arrive on Tuesday because there is a Day 1 update. DICE are perfectionists -- they will not stop polishing the game until it is in your hands. The Day 1 update incorporates real-time feedback from the beta, ensuring that the consumer experience on launch day is outstanding. It is the actual consumer experience that we wish to be reviewed. The game with the Day 1 update will be available for review on Oct. 25.
    Source
    GameTrailers interviewed Kevin O'Leary of EA on the Battlefield 3 beta to final fixes. Various fixes have made it into the game that will fix a whole list of bugs that were prominent in the beta. The main issues have already been addressed and as the Battlefield 3 release date closes in, bugs and issues are still being ironed out: "a lot of the smaller fixes." Branching off that statement, O'Leary states that the beta we played earlier this month, is now a two month old build. Those who played the beta said that the Battlefield 3 build presented this weekend at the GeForce LAN 6 event was leaps and bounds ahead of the beta. You can watch the interview below.

Re: Battlefield 3 To Ship With Release Day Patch

Well, DVDs etc are printed and shipped some time in advance, so this way they have a bit more time to polish the game.

I would prefer if they had an old-fashioned development cycle where the final product was tested for weeks and then shipped. But then we would not see BF3 before 2012.

Comment

Thanks to Frosty

Comment

Commo-rose included!

Optiskilled Pinget Rรฉmi

@zh1nt0 Hi mister Matros. Can you confirm Commo-rose at launch on PC?

@zh1nt0
        Daniel Matros

@Optiskilled Not on launch but in the 1st day patch.
        Edit: Just too slow. Lol!
        Battlelog; jeffb7

Comment

i would of been more worried if it weren't, i think it was expected.....not to thrilled to see camo rose will take a patch to be included....I have some serious doubts as to how well that system will perform, there's a reason they removed it early on.

Comment

@ DICE headquarters 2 months ago.Developer: Hey boss. A lot of people are complaining about no commo-rose.Money hungering exec: NO! We cannot waste our precious time and money on something a few players want. We have to ship this game if you want to get paid.@ DICE headquarters 5 days before retail release:Money hungering Exec: So how far along are you with emplementing the commo-rose as we discussed 2 months ago?Developer:................................. DยดOH!!!!

Comment

I vote we go back to games shipping on ROM chips. If you ship with a bug, you're doomed. I still remember some notable Nintendo ones from back in the day. Being greeted with "Congradurations" when the credits roll on POW.

Comment

I had the same face after watching the last trailer:

Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Originally posted by Cantina_Fly
                  I vote we go back to games shipping on ROM chips. If you ship with a bug, you're doomed. I still remember some notable Nintendo ones from back in the day. Being greeted with "Congradurations" when the credits roll on POW.
                  Were you ever able to beat Super Mario Brothers on the NES without dying? I think I did it once.

Comment

Color me surprised. When hasn't a BF title had a release day patch...besides 1942, even BFBC2 had a silent patch.

Comment

Perfectionists my ass; if they were they wouldn't need a day one patch.

I cna however, respect their descition of not staying with a game too long if they can build a better one. In fact I think they don't give the best support precisely because they start working on new stuff almost inmediatly.

That said, if BF3 sees at least a big of a bost between the last beta build to retail as BC2 we are in for almost a perfect game on launch.

Comment

Each engine should be good enough for two games(if the engine is that good in the first place)

Doing a new engine everytime is going to take another 5 years and they will go broke!

Yeah its not BF if it doesnt have a day one patch lol.

Comment

What I find interesting is that they keep emphasizing "until it's in your hands" etc. As in, implying that once day 1 hits and they roll the patch out, they're done developing and/or supporting the game. Fun, that. Also, youtube link broken.

Comment

Working...
                          X