Client side detection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client side detection?

It seems Dice switched to a client side detection, you die a lot after going behind a cover and the laggy players can basically teleport in your face and you'll die because on their screen they saw you before you could saw them thanks to their high ping. I even tried several servers with 300 ping and I did better than on a 50 ping, I could actually try some rush tactic instead of insta-dying.

Unless it's some weird and horrible netcode + lag compensation system but I really doubt it.

Re: Client side detection?

actually stuff like that happens in pretty much all games, and even ones that do not use client side, such as CS

I know a lot of people speculate that the game does use client side although I should think that unlikely, then again until the devs come out and say we don't know

it might use some form of client side checking but otherwise no

is weird because I can't remember that stuff happening in the alpha, then again the bullet damage was way higher in that lol

Comment

I saw that rumour evolve.
      It was nothing but one very vocal guy speculating wildly, and suddenly everybody accepts it as the truth.

But I have seen no evidence at all. I believe that what we are seing is DICE´s netcode being pushed to its limits in an indoor environment with destruction.
      It was never that good in the first place, and it flaws becomes more and more obvious as the new engine allows for more objects to cover behind.

Besides, isnt clientside usually hitscan? I think it would take a lot more of your PC if it needs to model every bullet the way Frostbite does.

Comment

Yes clientside is usually hitscan. I don't know if it's still serverside detection but there's definitely a problem where you can have the same or even better performance with a very high ping. And stuff like dying behind a cover happens a hell of a lot more than in your standard FPS but I guess not everyone suffer from it seeing the high k/d of certain players (though I saw someone going 105/3 so it's not legit everytime, with the all the exploits available).

The guys at Dice always have problems with their netcode until they somehow manage to patch it.

Comment

I will say it's been fairly obvious when I'm playing on a server with 100+ ping vs 30-50. All my WTF deaths have happened on the former. Normally, I would never actually play on a server with ping over 100, but limited beta servers saw me giving it try. It is beta after all.

Comment

Originally posted by cantina_fly
            I will say it's been fairly obvious when I'm playing on a server with 100+ ping vs 30-50. All my WTF deaths have happened on the former. Normally, I would never actually play on a server with ping over 100, but limited beta servers saw me giving it try. It is beta after all.
            I will second this. I get allot of the mysterious deaths after taking cover and magic bullets only on servers where i have a great ping, if i go overseas i never see those WTF hit detection kills and I feel like every one of my bullets are hitting the target. some of the best hit registry and kill streaks I've had were on 100 plus ping servers overseas.

Comment

It is definitely client-side hit detection. It takes about 10 seconds of playing to realize this.

If you really are in disbelief, go into a server in which you get a very high ping, preferably 250+. Now shoot someone. If you are seeing hit markers instantly (you will) and you are getting surprisingly good hit reg for that ping, it is client side.

EDIT: Videos to demonstrate:

BC2 (server side hit-reg) with 260 ping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiswrrHNybU

BF3 with 280 ping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzzeUlizMxY
              Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

I have wittnessed bullets going thru the entire map, i called hacks but maybe its the game?

Comment

So what does all this mean? We should be playing on high ping servers all the time?

Comment

It's a load of crap. don't pay attention to people that are just bad players and don't recognize BC2 netcode doing its work badly again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
                      I have wittnessed bullets going thru the entire map, i called hacks but maybe its the game?
                      Another couple of known bugs, already pointed out and supposedly taken care of by DICE:

-If spotted, some geometry will stop "existing" meaning you can get shot through hard cover.
                      -A lot of walls and gemotries are "hard" on the outside but once you are inside, you can shoot through them, related to the getting under the map bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy1
                        It is definitely client-side hit detection. It takes about 10 seconds of playing to realize this.

If you really are in disbelief, go into a server in which you get a very high ping, preferably 250+. Now shoot someone. If you are seeing hit markers instantly (you will) and you are getting surprisingly good hit reg for that ping, it is client side.

EDIT: Videos to demonstrate:

BC2 (server side hit-reg) with 260 ping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiswrrHNybU

BF3 with 280 ping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzzeUlizMxY
                        You get the flashing cross at once in BF3, but you also get blood at once on BC2. There has always been a "visual" hit detection clientside, but the server has the final say. I will agree that it looks like the crosshair might be clientside now.

The problem with the BF3 video is that it is a stationary target. You will hit him regardless of ping and clientside/serverside hitdetection.

Comment

lag can also influence it big time

many a day when I was lagging (bitches watching youtube again)

I would come across my first case of "unload an entire clip and no hitmarkers" simply because I was lagging

literally standing behind some tard and emptying the entire clip into him point blank range and nothing

Comment

Working...
                          X