Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets

For those who played Caspian, what do you think of the jets?

Personally I'm slightly disappointed. Of course, I didn't have any of the specializations, so I was flying with a gun only, but they were disappointing from that standpoint.

Firstly, the controls. I can't put my finger on it, but something did not feel right with the controls when using the mouse. The pitch controls are off. I usually invert controls when using a mouse, but when on the runway, I have to take-off using the normal set-up controls (i.e. pull-back on the mouse to pitch up, when with inverted, that should be push-forward). Once in the air, the pitch controls were ok. But what is up with the excessive shaking in the cockpit? It was impossible to maintain a constant pitch angle for me. And then don't get me started on the roll controls. With the mouse, the angle you could roll to the sides was miniscule. I could barely pull off any maneuvers. And then once I got into a good position, it was often hard for me to get it back again. Perhaps my problem was flying with a mouse...so I took out my Xbox controller (which has default support) and tried with that. That fixed most of the problems I had, but I couldn't really test it out because it got way too laggy. I also never got a chance to try out my joystick, but I'm hoping that makes the jets flyable too.

tl;dr - Flying with a mouse was damn near impossible for me. I used a mouse fine in BF2, so I feel like something is not right with it.

Another thing I hated was that once you get below 50% health, you are screwed unless you have the fire extinguisher perk (which negates perks like flares). So I get a little hit, and now my health is 49%. Well, that's it for me. Dead. I try flying back to base, but the jet becomes uncontrollable. It starts flipping over without me being able to do anything, shaking violently, etc. Basically, if you get below 50%, you should bail out. This is not fun at all. Maybe the damage loss is ok, but you should have the capability to fly back to base and repair.

And speaking of health, regenerative health? I don't really mind it on armor as it doesn't kick in for a while, but on the jets, it comes in seconds, and it's fast. I flew over the enemy base, took about 40% damage from the AA thing, and by the time I was half-way back to the US base (not very far), I was back at 100%. This will surely make dogfighting fun.

There are tons of other problems too:

- Cannon is weak against everything except air vehicles
    - Stingers make destroying jets easy
    - Slow...Demize was trolling when he said they were as fast as BF2's
    - Poor collisions...I can fly through the trees and live. I bounced off the ground a few times even.
    - Almost constantly spotted by the enemy team, making it very hard to surprise other jets.

So those who tried them out, what do you think?
    Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Re: Jets

I liked them, I spent an entire day whoring them and unlocked the anti tank guided missile (was number 1 on the jet leaderboard +epeen)

I don't fly with a mouse however, I use keyboard only, it was like shooting fish in a barrel though against the other jets

I believe thats the point, in that the cannon is weak, since these are primarily the air to air jets and not the A10, which is for ground attack

the stingers are decent deterrents, but get above 750m and they can't lock onto you, if you have flares you can simply afterburn into a climb and pop them without issue

I thought the speed was ok, but that might just be me, felt slow in 3rd person but fast in cockpit

haha yeh I bounced off a team mates jet and an enemy ones on occasion although flying through their wake is a bit crazy

spots do last a long time on jets seemingly, and since they are very visible they can be spotted a lot, best bet is to stay high, circling at distance to try and remain less obvious, then swoop in for the kill, the pilots that spend their time flying low over the central area are the ones that die very quick

the anti tank guided missile gives you a very potent and teamwork orientated weapon to use on tanks though

Comment

I cant even get close to them with 40 toy hungry asshats all trying to force teamkills with buggies......but from the ground they seem like an absolute cake walk shoot down, they have effectively castrated the air power from my point of view.....it's seems pretty meaninglessness in the scope of the battle at this point.

Comment

how many jets per map on caspian?

Comment

4 - two per team.
          Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Originally posted by .:DoA:.Power
            I cant even get close to them with 40 toy hungry asshats all trying to force teamkills with buggies......but from the ground they seem like an absolute cake walk shoot down, they have effectively castrated the air power from my point of view.....it's seems pretty meaninglessness in the scope of the battle at this point.
            it really isn't the air power is ok in comparison to BF2 it is weaker yes but can't say I care (can't comment on the helis, you are mega fucked without flares in those), but only once you have used the jets enough to unlock abilities, although annoyingly, for the F18/SU35 to have any ground attack capability, you have to get quite a few unlocks

I can't speak for the A10 etc but for the F18/SU35 their only application to begin with is shooting enemy jets and helicopters, you can harass the odd buggy or ATV but a full burst doesn't seem to destroy one of those (although the bitches were weaving all over the place)

I had no problems whatsoever staying in the air for an entire round in a jet, the problem was, everyone wanted to play Caspian so much and to fly the jets, you had so many smacktards queuing who simply couldn't fly, I would send them into the respawn screen mere seconds after they had taken off

but believe me once you unlock the anti tank guided missile, dam that thing is a beast, it forces you to attack ground targets in a very tactical and smart manner, typically in a way that supports your team, one of those missiles will disable a tank

Comment

I agree with everything OP,

Jets also feel like papers, there is no BF2 smoothness and weight to them.

Cannons are useless. And the collision IMO is a problem with all vehicles, you can literally drop a helicopter and it's nothing, while in BF2, land it carelessly and you take damage.

In BF2, jets were real power to be reckoned with, as it should be and it was worth learning and mastering them, in BF3, they're "meh" it's more fun and easier shooting them down.

Comment

I seriously think some of the opinions on them being weak are premature, if you spend more time in them that could change

I was going 30-0 in a jet with 7000+ points easily, top of the scoreboard and that was in an air to air or ground attack capacity (I had the unlock), I had to be much much more careful because of AA etc but it can still very much be done, it simply isn't as easy as BF2 was

my main point of issue is that being damaged past 50% health will disable you which is basically as good as being destroyed (unless you have the extinguisher unlock) often a noob can do that much damage with a lucky burst and the fact that without some of the unlocks they are very neutered in terms of ability

I also liked their maneuverability, they behaved more like jets imo (braking to turn, "air skidding" if thats even a term to understand) I very much liked how they handled

Comment

My opinion: (mostly from videos, i did manage to play caspian border but it was so slow i didnt even got to see jets before the game completly froze)
                  Inside the jets it seems you are going pretty fast
                  From an infantry prespective it seems the jets are just gliding through the air with no throttle at all. Instead of passing by you and going like: "wwwvvWWWWWVVVVOOOOUSSSHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh" It's more like: "wwwvvWWWvvvHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOUUSHHHHhhhhH"

Comment

From what I saw, jets look ok. My opinion may change when I actually get on one.
                    What I did like (from a video), is that you can hear the pilot breathing.

I did noticed that ^^ though. Inside you go FAST, when you see a jet it goes really slow.

Comment

Working...
                    X