Upgrading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading.

Current specs are Intel Core2 Quad Q6600, OEM 8800GT, 3 gigs DDR2 800mhz ram, basic 7200 sata hdd.

Thinking of just getting this setup:

Buy EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card 015-P3-1580-AR with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8R with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

How should that get me? And will the 580GTX be too overkill for BF3, edit. And how much will the SSD actually help the game?

Re: Upgrading.

You will probably get a bottleneck with 580.

Don't know about the performance difference between a normal HDD & SSD..

Comment

The only thing a SSD will bring to gaming is faster map loading, that is it.

A GTX580 on a Q6600 will be bottle-necked for sure, it's a waste of money on that cpu. if your limited by a budget i would consider perhaps a cheaper HD6950 and a new cpu/mobo rather than blowing your entire wad on a card. I wouldn't even bother with a SSD right now because that cash will be of much more use put toward a new CPU and mobo. you should really only consider the SSD as a gamer after you have your other more vital components updated and taken care of.

Comment

Yea, drop that GPU down to around $200, and use the remaining $290 to get an iNTEL Z68 based motherboard. That way, you have the option of doing intel i3, i5 or i7 CPU, whichever you can afford. Then get some nice RAM and you're all set.

Some gigabyte Z68 feature iNTEL's Smart Response Technology, which will cache commonly loaded files to that SSD. But be warned, that may require an OS rebuild, or some registry tweaks.

Comment

I'd like a new CPU / Mobo, problem being though is I have a Dell XPS 420, so then I would need a new case / psu as well. The case I could care less what it looks like, I'd probably end up just being the cheapest one i can find lol.

Comment

About time you start to bulid your first system.

Comment

Wow, playing on all low gives me 50+ fps or so and actually looks pretty good...

Comment

Working...
              X