Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 1.5 wont start

Hey all!

First off, I did read through the tech FAQ and I couldnt find the exact issue I was having.

So ,i'm running windows 7 32 bit as an administrator, I have a quad core processor, a GTS 250 graphics card, and 4 gigs of ram. So I think I meet the minimum requirements.

Whenever I start BF2 the screen cuts to black as if its going to start, but then it just crashes to desktop. Heres the thing though, BF2 used to work. It started when I was trying to play PR (awesome mod) but Punkbuster would keep kicking me for some no doubt retarded reason. I figured that maybe a clean install of everything would fix it, so I deleted everything on my computer related to BF2 (this included the files that carried over from Windows XP when I switched operating systems). I have tried reinstalling and patching but neither PR or vanilla BF2 will work now. 2142, on the other hand, works like a dream.

Please Help!!

Re: BF2 1.5 wont start

When you say you are running it as an administrator, is that your account or admin mode? Also, have you tried a compatibility mode?

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

FINALLY lol, i've tried running it in compatibility mode for XP sp3 and 2. My account is the admin account on the machine but to be sure i also tried disabling the UAC from the control panel. Still, it wont work.

Comment

OK, I know this may sound generic, but I did some searching and many people had this problem because of Punkbuster. I know, I know, it sounds like the same default thing, but I researched this.

Try manually updating punbuster using their setup program and make sure its setup as a service to run and that they are running. Also, you may have to turn compatibility on the .EXEs for punkbuster A and B.

I also ran across someone having an issue with AVG antivirus. Turning it off would allow the game to run.

Another item I found is that some multi-core computers confuse BF2. By setting the affinity to only use 2 or 4 cores, some have been able to resolve the issue. http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...on-in-windows/

Start at the top and try each one and let us know what happens after each try.

Crunch

Comment

Thanks for taking such an interest in this crunch. I'll reinstall BF2 right now, but I dont think its a problem with punkbuster as the game itself wont start. Still, i'll give it a shot.

Comment

You wont have to reinstall BF2. Just run the PB setup. I mean, if you think a reinstall is it, then try it, but I dont know if I would do all that again.

Of course, some have uninstalled and reinstalled and everything worked the second time

Crunch

Comment

Haha, that may be the case for me. I installed BF2 and just for funsies i tried running it and... It worked! Im gonna try patching next, I remember hearing that some people had a problem with the 1.5 patch, maybe thats whats happening to me.

Edit: Works fine with 1.41 as well. Now for 1.5...

Comment

You're going to hate me for this... but it works!!!! I have no idea what the problem was to begin with, but a clean install seems to have done it. Punkbuster, on the other hand, remains to be seen.

Comment

Okay so its working, but maybe you can help on this problem, i'm getting kicked by punkbuster for "MD5tool mismatch: RendDX9x2.dll". You mentioned turning the compatibility for the .exe files on, how exactly do I do that?

Comment

In your system32 folder you right click on pnkbstrA.exe and pnkbstrB.exe go to properties and set them to run as administrator. You can also set the compatibility mode as well.

Crunch

Comment

Working...
                    X