If BF3 beats COD, we lose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If BF3 beats COD, we lose

I figured out the problem with the poll question! The subject line says one question and the actual question says another! Thats why it seemed so different.

My vote should have been yes

Fortunatly for me, I can change it :eyebrows:

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker
      @Crunch
      I don't even know how to change the poll, or even if it is possible lol prob the way I worded it.

You have a point, they might say we didn't beat COD now lets join them, but if they join COD they will lose all the BF fans and might not be accepted by cod fans thus leaving them with nothing! It's just strange hearing them so openly saying there going after COD when COD's gameplay is very different. It almost makes BF3 sound COD-ly if you know what i mean. The closest COD ever came to BF was COD1: UO and even that was nowhere near what BF is truly like. I don't understand how they plan to appeal to CODiies unless they make it more like COD which is my greatest fear.

To beat COD is to outsell COD, which would mean taking on an active roll against cod which also probably means listening to what the COD people want, that is what scares me. Your average COD gamer saying, "It takes to long to get to the enemy," or "Prone is useless." Than we get Bad company becoming BF4.
      I dunno, if they are to believed, check my sig for DICE's current mindset

Comment

Thats it though 5t3v0, this version is that mind set. If it fails, or to EA it fails anyway, then what? "Well, we tried it by making a great game, but it wasnt enough. People must want CoD style." or will it be "We were so close and everything went so well. We have a great formula and we will build on that, but still keep it seperate style-wise."

We wont know til November and who knows what will happen then.

Crunch

Comment

I' like to quote from Patrick Bach in his interview. Probably my favorite quote about developing games ever.

Upon prompted about WHY PC?!
          I think the biggest risk is that people get scared is because it's not the sane choice when it comes to economy. We are game developers and we don't really care about that. If we make a good game we think that someone will be able to sell it. If we want to play it then other people want to play it. So us doing this is not based on a sane monetary decision, it's actually based on us being desperate to move gaming forward and you can't do that by trying to mimic the last game, no matter if it's your own or if it's the competition.
          You look at what PC's doing and when you release you're probably 20% better than the best PC ... The problem is that of course two years later and the PC's ahead. Like today we're three years past since the PCs came on par with the consoles and now the PC's so much more powerful. So to us, focusing on the PC is focusing on the future.

Comment

Yeah, thats great from a devs point of view. However, EA is about money and the devs report to them.

Crunch

Comment

I think it's more likely BF3 won't beat COD but come close. COD is like MAC, people buy it because of the name not what it's for, it's power, specs or anything else just because it's a mac, just because it's COD. CODiies aren't gonna to choose between BF3 and COD8 and choose BF3.

I think it's COD 8 i can't keep up anymore, probably like 10. BF3 decided to release right along side every other major game, that alone will lose them sales, especially at $60 a game. Even if BF3 comes close I have this feeling EA will order dice to make more bad company multiplatorm games and pop one out every year or so.

Like Crunch said, EA is about money, and i'm sure whatever BF will make more money they will go with. Cost effective releasing a half-*** game every year will probably make them more money than 1 really good game every 4. Not to make fun of consolers, I have a ps3 myself, but people will buy anything. That's how COD has become King, and it's okay Madden is the same game every year.

Comment

Well I think about a year after BF3 is released, DICE should release 2143 using the FB2 engine.

Comment

Heck no! An exansion pack. Lets get the FPS MMO going!

I'd pay $40 for a full 2143 expansion.

Crunch

Comment

Imagine titan mode with those graphics!

Comment

Voted no

With competition comes comparisonsand in the end we will end up with two clones like pepsi and coke cola,basically the same thing with two slighly different flavours

Comment

Who is the true audience of any CEO?

Drum roll.....

The stockholders. Being number one in the industry means more money for stockholders.

Comment

[QUOTE=Stryker;2830836]I think it's more likely BF3 won't beat COD but come close. COD is like MAC, people buy it because of the name not what it's for, it's power, specs or anything else just because it's a mac, just because it's COD. CODiies aren't gonna to choose between BF3 and COD8 and choose BF3.
                          QUOTE]

I don't think it's fair to judge CoD in that light nowadays; not now that the cat is out of the bag and it's very clear that it wasn't IW descition to put out a new game every 6 months It's all current Activision's modum operandi.
                          Also, the game responsible for this is CoD 4 for consoles; it had an effect similar to HALO back then. for a lot of kids it was their first FPS game, and for them it was awesome and memorable and the best thing on earth since they didn't know better. Ask that original XBOX generation what they think of games like CoD and they will say they are not original since they are replicating everything HALO did except in a modern warfare setting.

One button for grenades, insta melee attack, regenerating health, cover system, all things that were played with in PC FPS games before, but for many their first exposition to it was HALO. Even Activision is aware of this in some way, MW2 is not called CoD 5 after all. The fans of the franchise don't know better because they literally don't know better; CoD is all they know.

Comment

Working...
                          X