• Show
Clear All

• A Discussion of Strategy and Tactics

Strategy
    - Grand scale
    - The art of the general
    - Planning and conduct of campaigns
    - The employment of battles to gain the end of war
    - The art of distributing and applying military means to fulfill the ends of policy

Tactics
    - Small scale
    - The art of small unit leader
    - Planning and conduct of an operation
    - The employment of men, weapons, and equipment to win a battle
    - The art of distributing and applying military means to attain an objective

Tactics continued
    - Battle drills
    - Fire and maneuver (shoot, move, & communicate)
    - Patrolling
    - Collective tasks

Different Roles
    - A lot of players want to play as individual soldiers
    - Some want to be part of a functioning squad (teamwork/cooperation)
    - Others want to lead a squad
    - A segment of the Battlefield Community want to lead the team

Taking on the role of an officer by coordinating support, gathering intelligence on enemy disposition, viewing the big picture of enemy/friendly activity, and directing squads is rewarding. It is an enchancing feature that is appreciated by players who participate in the system/process.

Video Gaming Application
    Real Time Strategy - Strategy
    First Person Shooter - Tactics

In online gaming
    Tactics – Actions conducted with cooperation between individuals or elements
    Strategy – Maneuver, intelligence, and logistics plans and actions coordinated with the use of a map. The fusion of gathered intelligence of the enemy disposition which contributes to making informed decisions as to the prioritization of scarce resources to create the greatest effect against enemy targets and in support of friendly forces.

How can Strategy and Tactics be incorporated into the Battlefield franchise?

Should Strategy and Tactics be incorporated into the Battlefield franchise?

Re: A Discussion of Strategy and Tactics

Ohhh, this should be good I wont get to dive into it until probably tomorrow

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Meh, video games tend not to work like this... Anyone who knows the ins and outs of the game and uses them to his full advantage will win over someone who uses "IRL military tactics." I've seen it happen a bunch of times.

Comment

Yeah, but isnt that the strategy?

Crunch

Comment

Strategy
          - Grand scale
          - The art of the general
          - Planning and conduct of campaigns
          - The employment of battles to gain the end of war
          - The art of distributing and applying military means to fulfill the ends of policy

Tactics
          - Small scale
          - The art of small unit leader
          - Planning and conduct of an operation
          - The employment of men, weapons, and equipment to win a battle
          - The art of distributing and applying military means to attain an objective

Tactics continued
          - Battle drills
          - Fire and maneuver (shoot, move, & communicate)
          - Patrolling
          - Collective tasks

Different Roles
          - A lot of players want to play as individual soldiers
          - Some want to be part of a functioning squad (teamwork/cooperation)
          - Others want to lead a squad
          - A segment of the Battlefield Community want to lead the team

Taking on the role of an officer by coordinating support, gathering intelligence on enemy disposition, viewing the big picture of enemy/friendly activity, and directing squads is rewarding. It is an enchancing feature that is appreciated by players who participate in the system/process.
          Yea, but thats not. For the most part.

If you learn how to play the game, learn the small tricks (and the big ones), use some teamwork, then you can circumvent all that ^^. Its a video game, its more simple than real life. If you want all that then go join the army.

Comment

Yeah, but what about that in a game? I mean, thats part of it, isnt it? You learn the game and you get some friends and they learn it too and they learn how to do things in the game to be good at it that would involve tactics.

When I played CoD TWL we lost a match by a clan that pushed us to a part of the map and they all had the spawn points memorized and they positioned themselves in certain areas so each one could watch a spawn point and when we spawned we were killed. It was brilliant! I did find a flaw in it, but it was too late to win the match back. The damage was done.

Thats strategy and tactics involving the mechanics of the game. The list posted up may seem like its just a list of do's and do not's to make it realistic, but all the stuff I mentioned is in that list.

Or no?

Crunch

Comment

swat 4... used to play in clan, coop, 2 teams, 11 people total in 1 single map. Sometimes there were more swats then npcs xD . I still remember us trainign noobs in foodwall restaurant map... hahah such a small map for so mutch swat.

I think i can still go to a clan site were we got most of our tatics off. But they really will only work in a close quarters slow paced shooter

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                ...they learn how to do things in the game to be good at it that would involve tactics.

...they positioned themselves in certain areas so each one could watch a spawn point and when we spawned we were killed...
                For online gaming, I believe the first portion of the quote above is "tactics." The second portion was a good terrain analysis that identified key terrain with good fields of fire to overwatch likely spawn locations. Since the executed plan involved the grand scope of the match and the map, I would label it "strategy."

Comment

Working...
                X