Joystick / gamepads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joystick / gamepads

Anyone using Joysticks or gamepads to fly in this game?

when BC2 first came out the choppers sucked and I gave up on them and I haven't even flown since they fixed them in the patch. Vietnam helos look fun so I'm hooking up my joystick again. Anyone else using controllers to fly?
    "Crunch's First Officer"
    twitter: @signaprime

Re: Joystick / gamepads

I did as a proof of concept. It worked OK, but I found using the keyboard/mouse easier.

Logitech G15 (I think) with no software for it on Windows 7.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

when DICE limits the abilities of the choppers like they did in BFbc2 there is no reason for a joystick.

Comment

I use my sidewinder force feedback 2 (still the greatest joystick ever made for the battlefield) and it works. I had to first fix the yaw reversal problem in the settings ini and then use xpadder to map the throttle to W and S because those are two looming bugs that still haven't been fixed in BFBC2, the game does not recognize analog inputs for the throttle so by using xpadder your using digital inputs and it's either full throttle or no throttle but it's better than nothing.

That was the first bug i ever noticed and did reporting about in the beta but it wasn't deemed "high priority" at the time.

Comment

DICE needs to address the joystick better in BF3 than they did in BC2. The fact that a XBOX 360 controller doesn't work without a 3rd party tool like xpadder is a joke.

Posted with my Alltel Hero using Android Tapatalk

Comment

i used a joystick when flying in bf2 for some time ! but it was so enjoying and imersive piloting in first person that i broke it XD

Comment

Vietnam flying is definitely best with mouse, less of an hassle after bailing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Amaranthuse
                Vietnam flying is definitely best with mouse, less of an hassle after bailing out.
                What? No way. WASD and Number pad 8456 or 5123 are much better than the mouse if you don't own a joystick and you have access to more buttons for actions with your right hand. I never saw the point in using the mouse for flying over a joystick because the reaction time is usually worse especially if you run out of mouse pad. I have never tried it on a track ball mouse so I have no idea if that works better for flying.

Comment

Finally got my EVO working good with vietnam. fixed the inverted yaw problem, have the hat set to cockpit and rear views, a button to display the map, and buttons for TS and voip.
                  "Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

Originally posted by signa
                    Finally got my EVO working good with vietnam. fixed the inverted yaw problem, have the hat set to cockpit and rear views, a button to display the map, and buttons for TS and voip.
                    almost too much work for the 30 seconds you can stay in the air on Vietnam, hehehe.....with my throttle mapped to W and S every-time i bail unless i am careful enough to set the throttle to the middle my soldier is either running forewords or backwoods on his own, makes for a real PITA, sure wish we didn't have to use 3rd party software to map these controls.

I do see some people have discovered the old circle jerk spawn kill method, must be doing it with a mouse and keyboard though, like they are flying backwards or something, it really screws with the hitboxs and makes them very hard to shoot down.

Comment

I'm using joy2key and just maping w/s to 2 lower buttons on the stick. This way i don't have to center the throttle which is good because my throttle is loose and always falls down to -100 when not in use.
                      "Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

as anyone ever tried out the falcon? in bf2? im pretty sure it is some big **** but im curious

Comment

I have a mouse that can run on 4,000 dpi [Lachesis from Razer], so if I need the sensitivity of a joystick, it is on the fly.

when I bail, I switch back to my default.

Comment

Originally posted by jimykx
                            as anyone ever tried out the falcon? in bf2? im pretty sure it is some big **** but im curious
                            never tried but there's a reason it's been discontinued....I think about 4 people actually bought one.

The only reason it was implemented into BF2 is they paid for that patch, and if you remember intel paid for the previous one.

Comment

I know a few people who play with joysticks, but I learned with keyboard so I'm not sure how a joystick would affect flying. I do know those that use joysticks can't imagine flying without them, from what they've told me.

Comment

Working...
                              X