BF3 - Q3-4 of 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BF3 - Q3-4 of 2011

Are we supposed to be expecting a major engine overhaul? It is the same engine, albeit somewhat improved, as BC2, so the system requirements should be essentially the same.

You shouldn't have to buy a new rig for it, unless you are having problems running BC2.
    Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

DICE has mentioned a few times a lot of improvements in FB2.

And the main things people will need to keep an eye on is the OS they plan to have as well as if theyre video card can support DX10.

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

It is still the same engine though. If it was Frostbite 3, then you could expect a jump in requirements, but it is still Frostbite 2. There will be a increase, but not a "run out and buy a new PC" increase.

Is the game not coming out in DX9? Because then I would get the new graphics card.
        Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Is there a Frostbite 2 yet? I'm pretty sure BFBC2 is Frostbite 1.5. BF3 will be the first Frostbite 2.0 game. So it will be an updated version of the engine, if not vastly different.

BFBC2 has Destruction 2.0, not Frostbite 2.0.

And no, there will be no DX9 support on the PC if Dice are to be believed. Though I'm not sure how they can make the engine work on the Xbox if it only supports DX 10 and up. The PS3 isn't even DX9. It's got its own OpenGL implementation with DX9 hardware.

I'm still waiting to see how they plan on raising the requirements on PCs while still developing the game for consoles. Will it result in forced "pretty" graphics on the PC, while being the same base game? Or will it end up being more like BF2 vs BF2: Modern Combat?

It almost looks like a move to make MS happier with more people converting to Win7 and to make AMD/Nvidia happier with increased higher-end GPU sales.

Comment

ED: Well I would think they would include destruction 2.0 with frostbite 2.0. If they didn't I would be extremely disappointed.

I think it will combine alot of elements from BF2, BF2142 and some taken from BC2. Why mess with a winning formula like BF2 and BF2142? If they carry to much from BC2 over to BF3 then it will feel to much like BC2 and who wants that. And we all know that BC3 will come out sooner or later.

I wouldn't be surprised if they take the classes, player size, and vehicles(jets and such) from Bf2, the weapon customization from BC2 and make it pretty with destruction 2.0 and frostbite 2.0.

Comment

If I had to guess, I'd say they made a lot more money on BFBC2 than they did on BF2 and BF2142. They're also fixated on competing with Activision and Call of Duty. Between the two, I'm expecting to see a lot more BFBC2 than BF2 when BF3 comes out.

Comment

Well activision is in a legal battle at the moment with the makers of the facebook game Mafia Wars, so COD could be in serious jeapody lol so BF shouldn't need to compete with that crap anyway. I cant wait till march to see what DICE will be showcasing for BF3, im eagerly awaiting more info but if it does come out b4 the end of this year, i will be supprised but its really nice to know that they've got a free license on this one, they can take as much time as they want, EA aren't going to push them so DICE will be able to really push out the best Battlefield they can.

Comment

Why would you think EA isnt pushing them? Q3-4 seems to be pushing it. Activision legal wont be slowing down CoD production either. Its not like there are only 4 people at Activision.

Crunch
                  Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                  Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

yea but it had something to do with the game engine, or the MP component, for which they wont be able to use untill the legal situation is at least resolved which will stop production completely unless they overhall the MP component system. As for EA not pushing them, its already been mentioned by one of the developers that they were given a free hand, check out some of the twitter blogs.

Also check this link out http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/02/ricc...ond-half-2011/

it even states EA will NOT disturb DICE with the BF3 delevopment.

Comment

Although i too think that Q3-Q4 is pushing the release date a little we actually have no idea how far along development is. BF2 came out in mid 2005, so assuming this you could say DICE might have had a team working on BF3 or at least its ideas since early 2007 which means the game has already been in development for just over 4 years. The game for all we know might be completely finished and the idea of pushing it out this year is just another way of building the hype.

Comment

i read somewhere that DICE had been working on it for about a year, but that could have been speculation also, as their using the frostbite engine its not like they hard to completely build a whole new engine architecture as it was for the most part already in place, but they have done a lot of work on it still, as its FB 2.0.

I guess a lot of stuff might be answered in march

Comment

To be honest i highly doubt we will see anything in March that actually gives us any more idea than what we already know. Which is very little.

Comment

Well from what i could tell from various google searches, i think will mostly be showcasing the technology enhancements and improvements they've done to the FB 2.0 engine, but im sure other smaller details will arrive though, we also got E3 to look forward to which im sure BF3 will be there this time.

Comment

Working...
                            X