2 Day Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Day Review

Thought I would give a smallish review on the MP for Pink Black Ops.

First off, the Lag was the most annoying thing on the planet, however I believe that is in the process of being fixed with the max_rate 25000 setting so hopefully that's done by today.

Now down to the game, and I have to say as a (kinda) fan of MW2, I can't be disappointed, essentially we have got another great run and gun game. If you aren't into blasting people faces off in glee and running aimlessly about bunny hopping like a pro, you probably won't like this game, then again, you probably won't have like the last 4 call of duty's.

However the game has massively improved since MW2, with a lot of design details changing and making the game a much more enjoyable experience:

First off, Killstreaks are a lot more balanced, MW2's KS' were a bit of a joke, being able to get one that can end the game simply says it all. Since Killstreaks don't add to one another, you have to actuallu earn those tough 9 / 11 kill streaks. And the killstreaks themselves are a lot better in balance terms, nothing really sticks out as overpowered.

Next I think Treyarch have done a great job with the perks, removing things like Stopping Power (which makes the guns easier to balance), Commando (no one liked it), and Juggernaught (no one liked it). Also to unlock the pro version of the perks quite often you are forced to play some objective based games like CTF, Domination, Sabotage, S+D etc, another cool add on.

The weapons themselves are nicely made, the guns all have a unique feel to them, I personally love the audio of the AK47, sounds like a proper AK . And ofcourse once again, they are pretty well balanced, that being said the 74U and the AK47 so far are once again the stand out weapons.

Now for some things I think could have been done better. Firstly the CoD Points thing is pretty dumb, it would have worked if you had the choice to buy any guns from the start, meaning you actually had choice. However because you have to "unlock" the guns, it just makes buying them seem trivial, and you get so many cod points that you can buy a gun everytime it's unlocked, with the other stuff like Killstreaks, emblems, camo etc it works well, but you should have been able to buy any weapon from like, maybe rank 10 or something along those lines. SILVERLINING, I like how you have to buy every gun from one class (say Assault Rifle) to unlock the last one of it's class, kinda neat.

Joining games through friends it borked, have to ask for invites which is becoming annoying, can't even add servers to favourites to get around this. Now this little bug is amplified by the fact that you cannot buy/change killstreaks, create a class and weapons while you are in a server... Highly annoying again, there should be an option at the beginning of the round the change your classes/killstreaks before you start playing, so you go spectator to start or something.

But aside from those last 2 paragraphs, I've enjoyed my brief time on Pink Ops, it's yet another run and gun call of duty game that (once the lag goes away) is smooth, slick and once again, FUN.

EDIT: I also like the theater mode, kinda like Battlerecorder but you can watch your friends games and see EVERYONE in first person, very nice.

Re: 2 Day Review

What about the maps, do they offer anything new?
    The few screenshots I have seen made me think "Didn't I already play this map?"

Comment

Im really surprised about the point unlock system. All the news we received made it sound like once you reach a certain rank you can then unlock anything.

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I agree Crunch and im kinda going with the idea that they lied

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
          I agree Crunch and im kinda going with the idea that they lied
          They lied about that and Combat Training. They said it could be played offline... LIES! I'm sad about that

Comment

Yeah, thats kind of lame also. You're playing bots only with no ranks or points gained. Why do you have to be online for that?

Crunch

Comment

I thought you could rank up and get points? Like playing MP but offline w/ bots. Surely it'd be easy to write like 10 lines of code which save the stats to your PC instead of a server.

Comment

Hmmm, I will have to find that review on it. I thought it was playing with unlocks you currently have with bots on the maps so you can figure out the maps and get a feel for the weapons, but no rank up or points.

Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
                  What about the maps, do they offer anything new?
                  The few screenshots I have seen made me think "Didn't I already play this map?"
                  Nothing really new, but the maps are well made in my opinion. I will say that there are a lot of nice touches to the maps though.

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                  Hmmm, I will have to find that review on it. I thought it was playing with unlocks you currently have with bots on the maps so you can figure out the maps and get a feel for the weapons, but no rank up or points.

Crunch
                  Combat training is pretty much exactly like playing online but against bots. You rank up, buy weapons, kill streaks and all that stuff just like you would normally, but the ranking system is completely different to normal multiplayer. You can be rank 50 in combat training and still a recruit in MP.

Comment

No - as I said, it's just like MP, but only TDM and FFA with bots, and from what I understand some weapons aren't supported (don't quote me on that though). I'm like 99% sure on this, so I hope I'm not wrong haha

Comment

Originally posted by groundedzero
                      They lied about that and Combat Training. They said it could be played offline... LIES! I'm sad about that
                      Yep, I knew they had to be lying about something, and this was it. In every interview about the CP, they said you would unlock a weapon class and be able to be whatever gun you want from it. I liked this idea. Now I have to unlock the guns as I rank up and pay for the gun using the CP you get when you rank up? Great idea...
                      Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Working...
                      X