Sony needs to distinguish themselves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony needs to distinguish themselves

As of right now Sony's Playstation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360 are the same console with different names. I know what comes to mind right away, Xbox's live, and Playstation's Bluray, both very notable, however, not enough to distinguish themselves.

The core to these system is the games you play on them. Currently, many of those games are multi-platform games. Although both systems have their handful of exclusives, Sony's Uncharted, little big planet, and the Killzone series, as well as Xbox's Halo and fable series, they are few and far between. Right now, the majority of games coming out for both console are available for both of these "next gen" consoles. This leads to ask myself, "what's the difference between the Xbox 360 and PS3?"

You will hear, Xbox live, bluray, and motion control gaming. Each have something that the other console will counter, such as, PS3 online is free, bluray dvd can be considered to still be expensive, and motion control gaming is open game. No matter which console you own or play on these aspects, may sway you to their side but none the less I make the argument that the Ps3 and 360 are too similar.

Looking into the past we can see the success of the PS2, and Xbox. Both these system shared many games together, although one can also argue there were many games released for both system, but evidentially a huge amount on ps2, some of which weren't very good. Nonetheless PS2 distinguished itself enough from the Xbox to be the better system. It did this despite the fact that the Xbox had far superior graphics.

Today's next gen console, however, is a battle over graphical supremacy. I feel that graphical supremacy is not where PS3 should be attempting to distinguish themselves. I know for a fact that the PS3 is the better graphical console of both, but they need to concentrate of what made the Ps2 so great, game play and quantity of exclusives. If graphics was what gamers truly desired the most, and couldn't live without then they would own a gaming PC. I don't want you guys to picture bad graphics and think that's what I want the Ps3 to be, that's not what i mean. Many games concentrate on their graphics more than any other part of their game, leaving you with short, but beautiful game that cost $60 and only gives you a short gratification.

Back in the day the Ps2 isle was more than 2 isle long(NYC) and you had a lot of choices. So there were a lot of crappy games released, in retrospect, there are just as many crappy games released % wise.

The Playstation 3 needs more exclusive games to give themselves more of an identity of what the Playstation brand is, and less multi platform games. The more the PS3 wants to be the 360 the less they distinguish themselves. This is just as many shooters aim to copy halo, or COD, they wind of losing their identity and what made them unique and therefore great.

Of course there can be multi-platform games, but PS3 needs to identify themselves and their system because as of right now most titles are available on both systems. This defeats the purpose of having both as the loss of having just one is minimal. Since the 360 released first and PS3 has not really distinguished themselves enough, there sales have not matched or surpassed 360's and did that surpass its older bro the PS2.

One example of Sony losing it's identity is with playstation +. Yes it retains its free to play online, but loses its identity for a 360 approach. The more Ps3 defines itself as something different, the better there sales will be regardless of graphics. If Sony released a lot of exclusives with better graphics that would help them, however, when it come to multiplat games, the 360 takes a slight edge as it is designed for their system.

The playstation 3 needs to distinguish itself, and try to be something different and not a 360. It being different I don't mean motion gaming or becoming a Wii. It needs to approach gaming differently, and set itself new standards that will establish itself as something different from the norm.

Sometimes something different can be simple things that make their system more appealing and identifiable. Such as adding many non-gaming aspects to their machine. However, adding many "paying" and not enough "free" aspects don't distinguish you enough. Sony needs to redesign there cross media bar, and give more customization over there system. Imagine being able to customize the way to bar looks or functions, such as making it go from horizontal, or vertical. Being able to make it a grid, or display in a carousel, these little aspects can distinguish them. Making the gaming experience the same but the way to experience it different can greatly help make Sony different from the rest. Another one is having your system being able to install an OS also does as none do. Making the system more of a utility help increase it's value and purpose.

Finally the #1 thing Ps3 needs to do to truly make it distinguishable from the rest is mods and sharing. The ability for user to create and share would be the first among any console to date. Ideas such as, users being able to create avatars and share them with everyone on PSN via a PSN market similar to the shop but free. The ability for mods to be created on a PC, or Ps3 and transferred and shared among gamers would render 360 inferior regardless of graphics of a multiplat. One good example is the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, the PC version and 360 version came out on the same date, however, i can bet the PC gamer got more bang for his buck for $10 less released day price. This is because mods extend the life of a game not meant to truly last after its soul as been searched 100%. If mods, large or small could add to a game on a console, gamers would be blown away by its ability to extend the life of it.

Also having the ability for PS users to interact between one another would make it a meeting place of many sources, gaming or sociable. A good example of this is how in Diablo 1 and 2, on battle.net, you would join a channel and be able to talk with other people but not be directly in a game, most of which who are not friends. If PSN had a place similar to this, that is not PS home and requires downloads and long waits but rather brought people much closer together, it would help make it the preferred console by anyone. The ability to make many friends, and share ideas and other sociable aspects can help bring the community closer.

To sum it up, Ps3 needs more games that aren't also on 360 to help distinguish the system and make it a must have. It needs to be more customizable to make it more user appealing to your average gamer. It also needs to be more non-gaming friendly. Mods and player created sharing can be one major aspect that can distinguish the PS3 among any console ever created. The more different the PS3 is from the 360, the better it will become.

Re: Sony needs to distinguish themselves

Not that I care much about console gaming, but it seems to that it would better for us, the users, if Sony / MS / Nintendo focused on making a game better on their console, instead of trying to sabotage the opponent by preventing them from having a particular game.

What do we gain by having a game exclusive for our console? Absolutely nothing, and it cuts us off from a number of other games that we migh have liked to have.

Comment

Working...
    X