alterIWNet releases dedicated servers for MW2 -- 10.16.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alterIWNet releases dedicated servers for MW2 -- 10.16.10

Sometime during the week leading up to Saturday October 16th, 2010 the crew at alterIWNet (aIW) released the long awaited dedicated server for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. The official announcement was posted on aIW's portal on 10.16.10.

I and my clan mates at GDawgg Clan (http://gdawgg.com) applaud the hard work and dedication put in by the folks at aIW in getting this job done. After months of playing on Infinity Ward's pathetic IWNet, it's a great pleasure playing MW2 the way it's supposed to be played (with the developer's console and dedicated servers).

aIW has also created an in-game MW2 dedicated server browser and a web-based server list displaying all current MW2 dedicated servers online.

Pertinent information about aIW's MW2 dedicated servers can be found here: http://alteriw.net/viewtopic.php?t=23860&f=4

-{gdwg}-mooseD

Re: alterIWNet releases dedicated servers for MW2 -- 10.16.10

Yeah it's good work from the developers, but 6000 people on average are pirating MW2 and plying non legit AlterIW, grrr.

Comment

You can't assume that everyone playing AIW has pirated the game. Many people bought the game and the map packs only to be disappointed by how ****ty all of the lag and cheating was.

Between dedicated servers, their own custom anti-cheat program, community reports and appeals, and first-person spectate, AIW has been reducing lag and cheating more and more.

When the cracked version of a game provides a MUCH better experience than the legit version, there's a serious problem.

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]

When the cracked version of a game provides a MUCH better experience than the legit version, there's a serious problem.
        it seems to be pretty mutch whats happening. the guys even have more gamemodes and allow mods and stuff just like cod back in the days

Comment

I bought MW2 on release and support aIW.

Comment

A little bit to late wouldn't you say?

Comment

so is there a way for a legit user to play on alterIWnet?
              does it require me to DL a torrent or what?

Comment

Originally posted by stilla-killa
                A little bit to late wouldn't you say?
                They've had a server browser and mods for quite a while, and dedicated servers for a few months now. Better late than never.

Originally posted by Minmaster
                so is there a way for a legit user to play on alterIWnet?
                does it require me to DL a torrent or what?
                If you go to the download page, there are instructions for converting a Steam MW2 into an AIW version. There's a way to have one install and flip-flop between the two, I think. I went ahead and uninstalled my $90 piece 'o' **** and only play on the good one now.

Comment

does doing that risk my steam account from being banned? i have tons of games on my steam that i don't want to lose.

Comment

I've been playing on AIW since this summer. I just uninstalled my Steam MW2 a few weeks ago. No bans for me, I just know I'm never going to play the inferior version again.

As long as you don't try to play Steam MW2 with AIW's console running (and that should never happen, anyway), Steam/VAC would have no way of knowing that you connect to a different version on the side.

I created a totally separate AIW installation, though. On a different HDD. So they weren't even "touching." lol
                    I copied my Steam MW2 install to a different location and made the modifications according to the tutorials on AIW.

Comment

But why? less people online on it, and it's a mess about. :< .......Lets be quite frank most people pirate it who use alterops!

Comment

Why?
                        Dedicated servers, less lag, mods, a custom anti-cheat, a community cheat-report system.
                        I've had more cheat-free AIW games than I did on the Steam version. I'll never trust VAC for anything. MW2 was infested.

Comment

Why?
                          Dedicated servers, less lag, mods, a custom anti-cheat, a community cheat-report system.
                          I've had more cheat-free AIW games than I did on the Steam version. I'll never trust VAC for anything. MW2 was infested.
                          Dedicated servers - I prefer this game not to have dedicated servers, it's better that way, just jump on select a game mode, 9 times outa 10 it selects a strong host! I mean who plays online without 10mb or higher broadband now?! I like this system for this arcade game. No rules!
                          less lag - Either a bad host was selected, more often than not they leave and it switches to a strong host, or you have a crap PC lol.
                          Mods - It didnt need any, and we have COD 4 & 5 for that!
                          A custom anti-cheat, a community cheat-report system. - Maybe so, but still errors happen and many cheaters in that alterops too.
                          I've had more cheat-free AIW games than I did on the Steam version. I'll never trust VAC for anything. MW2 was infested. - Yes Steam do suck, but it's a easy method to join and play, You only come across a wallhacker, aimbot user or whatever cheat they are running about once every 10 games or more, that's pretty good going, for a game constantly having over 30,000 average on PC alone!

Comment

9 times out of 10, MW2 selected a garbage host. This is what listen servers/hosts have to offer:

You're willing to trade functionality and a proper experience for convenience? Why aren't you playing on an Xbox or PS3, then? Go play there with your cellphone lag bars.

A crap PC? Really?
                            C2Q@ 3.25GHz
                            4GB RAM
                            GTX460 TOP
                            X-Fi Fatal1ty

Not what I'd consider a "crap PC lol."

This was a standard game of MW2 on Steam for me:
                            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I ran into cheaters more than half of the time. A lot of the time, it was the same guy over and over again because VAC didn't stop him.

Comment

9 times out of 10, MW2 selected a garbage host. This is what listen servers/hosts have to offer:

You're willing to trade functionality and a proper experience for convenience? Why aren't you playing on an Xbox or PS3, then? Go play there with your cellphone lag bars.

A crap PC? Really?
                              C2Q@ 3.25GHz
                              4GB RAM
                              GTX460 TOP
                              X-Fi Fatal1ty

Not what I'd consider a "crap PC lol."
                              Fair do's, everyone has an opinion, i just feel the game doesnt and didnt need ded servers nor would i want it too. I hardly play it much now anyway (5days worth in total since launch), but still.....

Comment

Working...
                              X