Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banned off MW2...will this ban inflict on Black Ops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banned off MW2...will this ban inflict on Black Ops?

Yes, it does sound stupid. You all can think, "wow a cheating noob". No! I was not cheating, someone hacked my account while I was busy with work I guess, when I come back to play on it, I'm banned. I tried appealing my ban on the forums to VAC but they keep deleting my post. I guess they don't care and ban innocent players.
    But anyway. Screw MW2. I am waiting for the big one: Call of Duty: Black Ops,
    and I was wondering, if I am banned off MW2 and my VAC status is "Banned from some secure servers because of a cheating infraction," will it inflict on Black Ops and think, "He was banned off MW2 for cheating, ban him on Black Ops to make sure he doesn't cheat." I hope not because I didn't just wait for months of pre-order waiting and bullsh** like this to happen to blow away Black Ops and my $60!

Or would it be just alright anyway to ditch my old account and make a new one? I don't really want to tho because I have Civilization 5 on there too. But if Black Ops will be banned because of MW2 and VAC screwing up, should I make a new account instead?
    idk, can you guys please tell me what to do? I really don't want to be banned off Black Ops because of this sh**. It looks beast and I really wanna play it with my buddies and some family members!

(Please take the poll too!)

Re: Banned off MW2...will this ban inflict on Black Ops?

pwned, i can totally help you out but first I want to see the ban

Then I want to see your ip.

Not difficult to go hey the guy that got banned was in new york i live in cali.

They aren't even going to look at your appeal if you are appealing a ban from the same area you were banned..and most surely not the same ip.

I can say this you are at least the 20th person that have seen this story from and you'll be the first to not being a total bull****ter.

hypothetically
    WTF hacked your account? You think some random person targeted you, hacked your account and got you banned?

Comment

I can believe him, as I have been to internet cafes with a hacked version of steam, that randomly selects a steam account that has the game you wish to play, meaning you never get them same account twice often. If they have this at internet cafe's, then they obviously must have it on some greedy bastards home PC's.

Comment

From memory, VAC bans you from all games using the same engine.
        So if you want to be on the safe side, you need a new account for COD:BO.
        AFAIK you dont need to ditch your old account, so you could still use that to play CIV etc.
        But I dont understand why someone would bother to hack you account without changing the password? Surely all you need to do to regain control is reset the password?

Comment

lol you are saying you've been to an internet cafe that had a modified version of steam that didn't need passwords?
          Unless you can explain how that's possible I am calling BS.

On best bet you'd have to brute force the accounts and hope you targeted someone with an easy pw. Hypothetically if an internet cafe had the capabilities you speak of they would have to be using all the computers during off store hours to brute force accounts and be paying off the steam networm admin team. Even then depending on how many people play steam games in the cafe it would be unlikely they could keep up. 1 Account ever week-month maybe and the resources to do it would be insane as It would have to be cafe with 30+ computers running all night.

A second option would be letting people play video games on cafe computers and keylog their passwords. Business would go to **** pretty quickly and anyone with any type of networking sense would figure it out. Who's going to go to an internet cafe that hacks steam accounts and login with their own?

There are a few other options..but it would be an inside job.

Edited:
          More thought into this and the only realistic option is the person who payed for these computes and opened up a business, bought games and put them on different steam accounts. To offer free gaming as you'd spend more money on power in a few month of bruteforcing.

Comment

Just... start another account?

Comment

Originally posted by LunaTiK TunaLiK
              lol you are saying you've been to an internet cafe that had a modified version of steam that didn't need passwords?
              Unless you can explain how that's possible I am calling BS.

On best bet you'd have to brute force the accounts and hope you targeted someone with an easy pw. Hypothetically if an internet cafe had the capabilities you speak of they would have to be using all the computers during off store hours to brute force accounts and be paying off the steam networm admin team. Even then depending on how many people play steam games in the cafe it would be unlikely they could keep up. 1 Account ever week-month maybe and the resources to do it would be insane as It would have to be cafe with 30+ computers running all night.

A second option would be letting people play video games on cafe computers and keylog their passwords. Business would go to **** pretty quickly and anyone with any type of networking sense would figure it out. Who's going to go to an internet cafe that hacks steam accounts and login with their own?

There are a few other options..but it would be an inside job.

Edited:
              More thought into this and the only realistic option is the person who payed for these computes and opened up a business, bought games and put them on different steam accounts. To offer free gaming as you'd spend more money on power in a few month of bruteforcing.
              No, because as I said, it logs into a different account each time, and the login box has some random sets of numbers in the username field. I don't know the technical side, I guess its the second option you said, and it hacks people with easy passwords.

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0
                No, because as I said, it logs into a different account each time, and the login box has some random sets of numbers in the username field. I don't know the technical side, I guess its the second option you said, and it hacks people with easy passwords.
                OR they are using the Valve Cybercafe Program https://cafe.steampowered.com/features.php.
                I think you need to look for another explanation for the ban, but it doesn't really change the conclusion: Your have a ban on the latest COD game, so putting the next one on the same account is a gamble.

Comment

Boom, Ty Vreki. I was close..

and just to retouch on a few things I had already said..

Brute forcing means you setup the computer with a PwS and it goes through passwords until it gets one.

Most common onces are used on services that allow you to have easy passwords and they go through usernames and check common passwords.

I you are trying to bruteforce a specific person you'd do common passwords first then it would go through all combinations until it go it.

If they had a strong password cap sensative numbers and symbols the only feasible way to brute force that is I don't even know...you'd die first if using a room full of computers.

I'd prob make a virus/worm and spread it to 100's of thousands of computers and have them do it in the background much like Grid computing programs. Unrealistic for the purpose of steamaccounts though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
                    OR they are using the Valve Cybercafe Program https://cafe.steampowered.com/features.php.
                    I think you need to look for another explanation for the ban, but it doesn't really change the conclusion: Your have a ban on the latest COD game, so putting the next one on the same account is a gamble.
                    Nope. Left 4 dead 2 was not on the cafe program at the time about a year ago, and we would occasionally get kicked off if the suspected owner logged in. And it had the standard steam login, but with randomly generated numbers in the account name field, and the steam names seemed like they were made by real owners, and not cafe generated.

Also, the internet cafe in question was (and is) illegally using pirated games, battlefield 2 for example is cracked, cannot be played online and is still using the 1.3 patch. I got a "cd key already in use" error with CnC 3.

But in short, I dont think its the cyber cafe program. I thought about it too, don't you worry, but it doesnt seem to add up.

Comment

Why not simply have one account for Civilizations and one for black ops? Make black ops your new one.

Comment

Working...
                      X