Battlefield Vietnam - 6 years on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield Vietnam - 6 years on!

I've just started to get back in to this and can't believe how well its holding up after so long. 6 years ago I had been married for less than a year and was staying up till 4am hammering this game.

6 years later and 3 young kids in the fold, the 4am finishes are a long time ago lol but i'm still getting that same buzz as i zoom above the treetops (and sometimes under) in my Mi8.

There's only a handful of servers these days but the same players who have kept the game alive frequent them every day and night. With BF:BC2-Vietnam around the corner why not jump back in to the 60's for old time sake

And for those who never got round to trying it, here int he UK its only £3 on play.com and there's a very good tweak guide for maximizing the graphics and draw objects.

Re: Battlefield Vietnam - 6 years on!

Does it even work on Windows Vista/7?

Comment

BF1942 does, I don't see why Vietnam wouldn't.

Honestly the only reason I haven't reinstalled is because I thought no one would playing it anymore.

Comment

Game Monitor will show you if anyone is playing.

BF:V - Players: 111 / 3,373

BF1942 - 431 / 12,527

BF2 - 6,525 / 68,736

BF2142 - 906 / 10,717

Comment

Classic games that die is a horrible feeling

Comment

meh BC2 vietnam is an insult to BF vietnam, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Rindee
              To each his own. I was a hardcore BFV fan, I played it very frequently, even had a popular clan server for it for a number of years. But as games have advanced, there are not many players to join in. I love BC2 Vietnam, its not BFV, but it was never meant to be. If it was, then NVA could not select the M14 as a primary weapon at load out. Its just a different take on BC2. My biggest complaint about BFV, and any game that includes the M14... its a fully automatic/selective fire rifle. If its not fully automatic, its not an M14, its an M1A. It was not 10 rounds, it was 20. I was bothered when BFV did it, I am bothered that Black Ops did it. Not saying I hated BFV for that, but it was a complaint. For a modern rendition, its very good. Considering many of today's games are following CoD suit, it was nice to have something similar to what I used to play.

To each his own. I know plenty of people who refuse to play anything past BFV or CoD2 (I am one of those people for CoD. Cant stand anything after 2). Nothing wrong with that.
              COD 5 is good though.

Comment

CoD 5? Is that Modern Warfare 2? If so I have to disagree. No dedicated servers? Why not just take PC gamers out back and shoot us? But I better stop before I hijack the thread.

But I am curious, is CoD5 MW2? They stopped using numbers after 4. CoD2 CoD3 CoD4 Modern Warfare CoD Modern Warfare 2 CoD Black Ops. What is the numerical order now?
                lolz, Yeah they technically still use numbers, they are:
                Call of Duty (1) (Not sure if there was ever going to be a sequel just like in every game never has 1 in it haha.
                Call of Duty 2
                Call of Duty 3: Big Red One
                Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
                Call of Duty: World at War (5)
                Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (6)
                Call of Duty: Black Ops (7)
                Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (8) TBA

I also care to disagree with you no the dedicated servers argument regarding MW2. Here's my cents: I don't understand why people hate this game or flame it, I mean yeah there are cheaters online with aimbots or wallhacks or whatever else, but you get that in every game, black ops is just as bad now.

I hear all this they screwed the game up without adding dedicated servers, but to be fair, all COD's are dedicated with servers except non PC released COD 3, and I love the fact that i can randomly select a game mode, non rules, and simply play without messing around, 9 times outta 10 you have a good host.

The game is a hell of allot better than COD 4, it's better and more harder to rank up than black ops, COD 5 ya simply cant compare since it's a different feel of a game all together, it's the feel of COD 2 but better. o.0

Sadly there are a select few n00b weapons in the game, the main one is the UMP.45 sub machine gun, which is way way way overpowered.

COD 4 is just hectic, every gun is overpowered, you simply want to smash your PC up just by going in any server, which is why i never play it lol.

Comment

You just said that MW2 was better than CoD4.

Do you know nothing about gaming at all?

Comment

You have some valid points there, bolt rifle only server are awesome on cod 5, as cod 2 too. Modern Warfare 2 is a 100 times better than MW1, although without dedicated servers and modding ability. There are still about 30-60,000 that play it on PC on average. Black Ops is probs around the same, slightly losing it's audience. To me COD MW2 is the best arcade fast paced feel in all the COD games. Anyway i best stop trolling this thread! :P

Originally posted by Kylee!

Yeah and.....? COD 4 is the worst game ever made, a great fps game if your a n00b with no skills, a non teamplayer, a camper or a tuber. It's as simple as that. On another note, every weapon is overpowered, nearly everyone has some form of cheat running using non detected cheats by punkbuster.

I own the damn game and my partner only uses it at random for zombie mods, to shoot out a bit of stress from modern life!

Comment

This.

Comment

I dont care, i will argue the case all the time. If you join a round of free 4 all or team deathmatch, it's just n00bs spraying everywhere, constant enemy air support from streaks just by camping. It's piss easy, MW2 is more difficult and you know it, if MW2 had dedicated servers (im glad it didnt in this game) and it has modding abilities, it would be the best COD you would state? I'm sure of it!

Comment

WaW, did not dig it much. I don't know why. It was not bad, but it seemed to... consoley... Like I was playing CoD3 all over again.
                          Pure bias and general fanboyism for IW and against Treyarch.

WaW used essentially the same engine as CoD4, the only main differences were weapons, maps, setting, and other small details.

Comment

Originally posted by djdynamite123
                            Yeah and.....? COD 4 is the worst game ever made, a great fps game if your a n00b with no skills, a non teamplayer, a camper or a tuber. It's as simple as that. On another note, every weapon is overpowered, nearly everyone has some form of cheat running using non detected cheats by punkbuster.

I own the damn game and my partner only uses it at random for zombie mods, to shoot out a bit of stress from modern life!
                            ... You haven't been around PC gaming much have you.

EVERYTHING about CoD4 is better than MW2. EVERYTHING. The maps are put together much better, there's not a jillion overpowered killstreaks to sit in a corner and fight for, its actually made for the PC (mod support, decent dedicated servers etc.). Maps, and maps again. MW2 used there awful arena style free for all maps, CoD4's maps look like they were actually designed by someone who knows what they're doing and not a teenager.

Comment

... You haven't been around PC gaming much have you.

EVERYTHING about CoD4 is better than MW2. EVERYTHING. The maps are put together much better, there's not a jillion overpowered killstreaks to sit in a corner and fight for, its actually made for the PC (mod support, decent dedicated servers etc.). Maps, and maps again. MW2 used there awful arena style free for all maps, CoD4's maps look like they were actually designed by someone who knows what they're doing and not a teenager.
                              Yeah, since the early 00's, so erm i think I have, especially when games became more and more advanced. COD 4 simply sucks, too many player for such SMALL maps! it's the worst arcade game COD has ever done, well black ops is close, but still. Modern Warfare 2 kicks both there asses in multiplayer, campaign wise BO wins all 3, but it is a bit confusing. COD 4 is just bizarre. COD 5 and MW2 are my fav games in the series, i enjoy COD 2 single campaign too. But i'm nt even a COD fan, i'm a battefield fan, BF2 ftw!

Comment

Working...
                              X