Black Ops Disks Stolen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Ops Disks Stolen

I saw this and though it would be an interesting read.

The anticipation of Call of Duty: Black Ops has gotten so high that a thief broke into an Alabama pressing plant and stole several copies of the retail disk for the Activision game. Activision and Treyarch are now actively trying to shut down any potential leaks of the game as a result of the theft.

The thief offered to sell the disks on an underground hacking forum. One of the suspected buyers claimed responsibility for leaking Halo: Reach out early before it was released back in September.

Treyarch's Community Manager, Josh Olin managed to get in contact with the several members of the hacking forum by Twitter, AIM and telephone in an attempt to quell any leaks. Activision and Infinity Ward was able to prevent leaks of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 from getting out of hand last year with the help of private investigators and police. It is expected that Activision and Treyarch would do the same with Black Ops.

Call of Duty: Black Ops is currently shaping up to be the largest release of 2011 and could surpass last year's Modern Warfare 2 if pre-order estimates are to be believed. A leak of the beta version of the game has already made its way out but those eager to get their hand on the game early should be aware that at minimum they risk getting their consoles and online IDs permanently banned.

Call of Duty: Black Ops is set for a November 9 release for the PC, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and DS.
    Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Re: Black Ops Disks Stolen

Yeah, I saw that posted somewhere else. I've also seen footage of the leaked beta.

Funny that it's on consoles, even though they swear all of the pirating criminals are on the PC...

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
      Funny that it's on consoles, even though they swear all of the pirating criminals are on the PC...
      Too right

Comment

Yeah, I saw that posted somewhere else. I've also seen footage of the leaked beta.

I'm sure that in total there are many, many more PC pirates, but there are also a lot of console pirates, and I don't see how they don't recognize that.

Comment

Because they dont want to piss off their cash cow.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy1
            I'm sure that in total there are many, many more PC pirates, but there are also a lot of console pirates, and I don't see how they don't recognize that.
            If games use a proper CD key and account authentication (like BFBC2), multiplayer games can't be played online with illegal copies on the PC. Console versions can be played online, so in my opinion the price of piracy can actually be higher with the consoles.

Comment

Modding an Xbox to accept burned discs of downloaded games isn't that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
                Modding an Xbox to accept burned discs of downloaded games isn't that hard.
                That was kinda my point. Not only is it not that hard to mod an Xbox to accept burned discs, a burned disc is functionally the same as one bought from the store.

A burned PC game is usually only good for a single-player experience, not the multiplayer that most people buy games to play in the first place.

So a burned console game costs the publisher more than a burned PC game, in my opinion.

Comment

If games use a proper CD key and account authentication (like BFBC2), multiplayer games can't be played online with illegal copies on the PC. Console versions can be played online, so in my opinion the price of piracy can actually be higher with the consoles.
                  True. But BC2's system of authorization is only just being regularly implemented in games. When the statements regarding PC pirates was made, that was when anyone with a CD key could play (albeit cracked servers unless no one else with the CD key is on). BC2's system is being implemented in most games now, such as MW2, MoH, and of course this game.

However, I wouldn't say that it is impossible to play MP with a pirated version with this system. MW2 is a fine example. All it takes is server emulation. Obviously though, it takes a lot more work than before, and may not be possible (but it's hard to say that it's impossible).

But yeah, it's much easier to pirate console games, especially since more focus is being put on PC games for some reason. I know more people IRL with a modded 360 than people who pirate PC games.

Comment

Server emulation limits pirates to playing with other pirates, or people who feel the pirated game offers a much better online experience than the one they bought for $90...

Comment

Still playing the MP though. It's more than good enough for not paying any money.

Comment

Working...
                      X