Why do we like zombies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we like zombies?

So what is it with the undead and playing games against them? Its like an obsession. Hallowing is coming and it seems that all the news I have been running into has been about zombies.

They are everywhere! Valve has new content coming for their Left 4 Dead series. CoD Black Ops has now confirmed that zombie mode will be in the game again. Dead Rising 2 was released. Red Dead Redemption is going to have an undead DLC released so you can kill the undead in the old west days. I wont even bother going over all the mods the communities have made.

Are zombies the next WW2 venue that publishers see as the golden goose or do we love the undead enough to keep this momentum going?

I have to admit that Ive enjoyed every zombie game Ive ever played. Every one of them. Im thinking about getting DR2 just because its a sandbox of undeath.

So whats your take on it? Have you played a zombie game you didnt like? Are zombies not your thing and you cant figure out why its anyones?
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Re: Why do we like zombies?

Because it's something new, a fad.

Comment

Yeah, I kinda wonder if thats it as well. The thing is though, CounterStrike had zombie mods many years ago. As far as modding goes, zombies have been around also. Even Battlefield 2 had zombie mods.

Or do you think its a fad for game publishers now? The golden goose they will soon kill by releasing tons of zombie games?

Crunch

Comment

Because its fun as hell if you have some buddies around, kids who I never even knew played video games before somehow knew how to play Nazi zombies... and it leads to some seriously good times. Comparing who gets to the highest level... trying to beat your record... its good times.

Comment

The zombie formula is pretty different from your standard MP FPS game in how it's played. I don't mind seeing a fair share of zombie games as long as they're not all bland copies of themselves.

I haven't played that many zombie games over all but I love the L4D series... even me and my sister has played through all the campaigns and it was actually fun. The nazi zombies mode from WaW was awesome, but I never bought that game so I'm glad it's back in BO.

Comment

"They Hunger" was a pretty good zombie mod, and it came out a long time ago.

I think there are a few reasons zombie games are popular.
            A: Zombies are okay to kill. They're already dead, and they're obviously bad.
            B: Zombie games usually have some kind of cooperative play, which is good for couples and friends. My wife won't even try playing games against me, but she'll play with me whenever we get a chance.
            C: A different type of horror is in-style right now. But I think zombies are popular horror subjects because being eaten alive by something with no real motivation other than hunger and instinct is a pretty powerful fear for a lot of people.

Comment

Ive noticed that and i have to agree with what expletive saied.
              Zombie games normally have the coop part and its normally allways intense and me and my friends i think it has been really great to play games on coop like codWaW nazizombies, killing floor l4d and l4d2 , and also other nonzombie coop games like splintercellconviction, mw2 specops, tomclancys vegas 2 , arma 2 and so mutch more i dont remember right now.

Another thing that feels good about killing zombies is dismemberament xD

Comment

Iv'e no understanding to why so many people like wasting time slicing zombies, but it's a good way to drip out a bit of stress

Comment

Zombies are not new, or a fad; they are however, the irrefutably "evil" monster/NPC that you can never have any compulsion about killing.

They usually work in hordes, they can overwhelm, they ar eundead, and by extension, repulsive and repugnant, they stand by their very fictional existance, against everything sane, good, nice and living. They are mindless but not stupid, relentless, have unlimited stamina and won't hesitate to kill you, they are amoral, eternally hungry, can't be reasoned with, can't be argued with, can't be bargained with.

The typical zombie holocaust scenario puts you as a survivor; at an already losing position: your opponent doesn't need food, sleep or plans to function; they are the ideal nemesis for any scenario.

Comment

I <3 zombie games

Comment

so try this http://www.deadfrontier.com/

Comment

How about a leper zombie game?

Comment

What about communist zombie lepers?

Comment

I think zombies are more like borg, except without the technology and hive mind. A huge mass for one goal of stopping their strange hunger.

Crunch

Comment

Well what if a zombie defected and went on a hunger strike?

Comment

Working...
                              X