Various New and Misinterpreted news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various New and Misinterpreted news

With little "official" news from camp Treyarch after the Multiplayer Reveal Event, JD and Vahn clear up some misinterpreted info. Plus a new wallpaper to download!

Let's kick it off with what we think is the most important on the list; Unlocking items and purchasing loadout options with COD Points.

COD Points

Against many believe, you still unlock certain items while you're ranking up, like we were used to in previous Call of Duty Games. XP, ranks and prestige leaderboards are still in Black Ops. The biggest difference is that when you rank (or level) up, you unlock a full set of items that you can then purchase with COD points, the in-game currency. As Josh Olin revealed on the COD:HQ blog », you will unlock all perks » at level 4. It's up to you which perk you prefer and would like to purchase first. So if you don't like ninja's... screw them and purchase Hacker instead!

It really allows you to choose the way you play. Instead of being forced into using the Red Dot Sight, you can purchase the ACOG Sight when you please. Just make sure you have the money for it. Same goes for the Custom Reticules (the smiley face in your reflex sight for example), they become available for purchase for all guns once you unlock them.

Same goes for Killstreaks, which you unlock at level 10. You don't need wait for the higher killstreaks until you're a high level player, once you unlock Killstreaks you can go ahead and purchase the highest killstreak if you like. That being said, you do need the money for it... So while the killstreaks are more expensive than the earlier ones, you might need to safe up some money before you buy. But again, you don't need to waste your money on the lower killstreaks!

Earning money

How to get the money fast, you ask? That's up to you, as there are basically three ways of doing it. 1) Just play the game like you were used to. It will not earn you money fast, but you will be awarded money nonetheless. 2) Secondly you can easily earn a lot of money with the new Wager Matches ». You bet a set amount of COD Points to wager that you will be in the top 3 players of that game. If not, you lose your money. If you are, you will earn a big sum of COD Points. 3) You can also do contracts, a new feature that's a lot like the default "do x-amount of headshots with this weapon" challenges, but with a twist. Contracts include challenges like "call in 2 napalm strikes in one match, without 40 minutes of play time". You need to buy these contracts and when you fail you loose your money. But if you complete them, you will be awarded both XP and COD Points. By the looks of it, every 24 hours you can pick from a new set of contracts.

"FULL" Multiplayer Reveal?

Yes, it was a full multiplayer reveal and what you've seen is what you'll get. Even though the accounts were leveled to Rank 25 (so not all weapons were unlocked) and there were only 4 maps available, the multiplayer reveal event showed all new features that have made Black Ops the most anticipated game for 2010. As Josh stated on COD: HQ », there's been some quotes taken out of context, like:

When I said "We haven't shown everything yet" - the full quote was "We haven't shown everything yet; there are things that we didn't put in the presentation, but are there for you to find: like Host Migration, Prestige Leaderboards, In-Game Friends List, etc."

No Gore in Multiplayer?

Like we reported » a few days back, there's significantly difference in gore between the multiplayer and singleplayer gore level. We based our article on an interview with Treyarch game developer "Vahn" with HipHopGamer. While everything he said was the truth Josh felt » like there was one thing that was not talked about, that should be. While it's still a Mature themed game, the limitation to only blood and spatters in multiplayer is because of the limited amount of system memory in the game consoles. It was rumored that it was because of disk space on the DVD (X360) and that BluRay (PS3) would fix this problem, but that is not the case. Gore was basically toned down because of all the new things and additions to actual gameplay in multiplayer, like custom reticules, lenses, emblems, camos (gun & face), etc. "We believe that ultimately, the vast majority of players would rather have all these cool new additions, at the expense of limbs flying off in MP, so that's why we don't have "gore" in competitive multiplayer." — Josh Olin

So... What's the chance of it appearing in Black Ops for PC, that have bigger memory than consoles? The short and final answer is "none".

"The games will be the same games on all 3 platforms, with minor system-specific nuances catered to of course (such as Server Browser for PC rather than matchmaking lobbies). But it's a multi-platform game, so in terms of core gameplay and features, they will match."
    Josh Olin »

Tactical Insertion

Don't worry, it won't be that bad... Treyarch is absolutely sure » that it will not be abused the way it was in previous games. Better yet, this time around they expect it to be a very important tactical gameplay element. "A well organized team of Tac Inserts user can roll the competition in Demo. [..] Counter by organizing your own team of Tac Inserts users and roll with Hacker." — Vahn.

One major element of Tac Insert that has been changed in Black Ops is the fact that you can actually cancel your own Tac Insert in the Killcam. So you won't be spawn killed as easily as in the previous game! And don't forget about the reporting system. Reports boosters and Treyarch is planning to make examples out of them by laying the ban hammer on them. Do this to enough people, word will get around that they don't take too kindly on this sort of thing.

X360 and PS3 Launch Playlists

This is not final, Treyarch » is just bouncing off an ideas. But by the sounds of it, this is what the playlist will look like at launch. Wager Match is not included in this list, but it goes without saying that it will be included at launch...

Core;

* Team Deathmatch (TDM)
    * Mercenary (MERC)
    * Free-for-All (FFA)
    * Domination (DOM)
    * Ground War (GW)
    * Demolition (DEMO)
    * Sabotage (SAB)
    * Headquarters (HQ)
    * Capture the Flag (CTF)
    * Search and Destroy (SnD)
    * Team Tactical (TEAM TAC)

Barebones;

* Pure (No perks, killstreaks, attachments, equipment, or contracts)
    * Classic (Killstreaks at 3, 5, 7 kills)
    * Team Tac (Pure version with mixed bag of objective modes)

Hardcore;

* Team Deathmatch
    * Search and Destroy
    * Headquarters
    * Free-for-All

It's quite a big list, which automatically means people will be spread out a lot too. If there are enough people online playing Black Ops, that shouldn't be a problem though.

Various news...

There will be another color added to display players the mini-map. Next to green (teammates), blue (in party with), and red (enemies), gold will also be added. It will be for players that are in the lead in most (if not all) Wager Match game modes, says Vahn »

In Combat Training you will only be able to play Free-for-All and Team Deathmatch (alone, split-screen or over the net). Vahn stated » that the Practice Dummies aren't quite ready to take objectives, or capture flags. Who knows, maybe in a future game...

Shotguns are perhaps the hardest weapons in the game to balance in first person shooters. They've been switched back from secondary weapons (MW2) to primary weapons in Black Ops. Some have a bit of range (like the Olympia) but that will only have two shots in the barrel. Some people argue that the range for shotguns is just too little, but that's very much by design says Vahn ». He doesn't expect most people to understand the tuning logic and certainly doesn't expect most people to agree with the choices they made. They're doing their best to make shotguns amazing effective at super close range. But if you're more of an medium ranged runner, SMG's might be your poison.

Source

Re: Various New and Misinterpreted news

Deja vu...

"Oh, yeah. We totally have PC specific stuff. We've got graphics options and mouse controls."

Might as well use friends codes and SD graphics with no HDDs. Most gamers of this generation have a Wii, anyway. Why not just dumb it down to the lowest level?

As far as shotguns go: If they're using magical disappearing shot again, might as well just get rid of them. Knifing is more effective.

If they think "most people" will disagree with the choices, why say "f**k off" to your customers like that, then?

Comment

I have to admit, reading that hasnt convinced me at all. It does seem like they are already going back on things they had previously promised.

Comment

I still feel cautiously optimistic, they said they are going to implement Dedicated servers and mod tools, while I know that last one is probably not 100%, its still better than straight up insulting the PC gaming sector entirely. Though the lack of option for higher gore on the PC version sucks, it doesn't sway my opinion much as I live in a relatively conservative household.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
          I have to admit, reading that hasnt convinced me at all. It does seem like they are already going back on things they had previously promised.
          Like what for example?

Comment

Like? Most of that news I have read somewhere else already (or at least all of the news that pertains to me...I don't care about console playlists).
            Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Shame about no gore... but personally I couldn't care less

Has anyone seen answers about having an option for higher fov on PC? The default in CoD4/5/MW2 is terrible

Comment

Pure (No perks, killstreaks, attachments, equipment, or contracts)
                I wonder how many servers will run this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwantcable
                  Hopefully the majority of S&D servers... kill streaks or perks doesn't belong there

Comment

Originally posted by Iwantcable
                    If I wasn't in college, I'd buy one and run SD 24/7. With custom maps, of course.

Speaking of which, I really hope they got rid of the whole "you have to run a mod to play a map" bull***t. That really dampened community maps seeing servers.

Compare CoD or UO to CoD4, the whole only official maps allowed to be played on ranked servers just ruined community content then add the mod needed to play a map bull***t, and custom maps were hardly seen. I can't even remember how many custom maps I played on in CoD or UO, but in CoD4, I can hardly even remember playing on any. And it's not that I always stuck to ranked only or anything. The loadouts weren't saved in mods, and you'd have to setup everything you wanted every time you played, and that's another discouragement for most players.

Comment

Im still worried about how the PC numbers are going to be for this. I dont want to buy a game i cant play online :/

Comment

Im still worried about how the PC numbers are going to be for this. I dont want to buy a game i cant play online :/
                        I'm with you on that one... I might have to go console :/

Comment

Originally posted by groundedzero
                          I'm with you on that one... I might have to go console :/
                          Or just pass on it and don't give money for bad games.

Unless you like PC being an afterthought.

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
                            Or just pass on it and don't give money for bad games.

Unless you like PC being an afterthought.
                            True. But I like new shooters to keep me occupied - I get bored (sometimes too easily) with stuff I have....

Comment

Originally posted by groundedzero
                              True. But I like new shooters to keep me occupied - I get bored (sometimes too easily) with stuff I have....
                              Go back to older games you have.

I only play a game for about a month at a time then switch to some other game I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X