Less Gore in Multiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less Gore in Multiplayer

Some of you might have noticed already, but there will be (way?) less gore in multiplayer than in the singleplayer campaign.

After getting hands-on at the Multiplayer Reveal Event, HipHopGamer » talked with @DavidVonderhaar » in another booming interview. They mainly talked about ideas HipHopGamer wished were implemented, and what reasons Treyarch had to not feature them in Call of Duty: Black Ops. In the video interview below you can check them all out, as some of them would actually be pretty sweet to see in a future titles.

One of the subjects they touched however, was the gore engine in Black Ops. In various singleplayer campaign trailers, we see body parts fly off like crazy. Heads explode, arms fly off... It really touches the grim and gruesome story of being behind enemy lines in the Cold War, just like we've seen before in Call of Duty: World at War. When comparing this gameplay to the multiplayer mode, many will be very disappointed by the fact that it's really toned down. By the looks of it, we won't be blowing off limbs from your baby brother in the other room but only repainting the walls with his blood. If you re-watch the MP Reveal Trailer » and skip to the very end, you'll see a good close-up in the Theater Mode of what the gore actually will be like (image to the right). David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar explains:

Ultimately, if you're making a choice between gore and a higher degree customization, we chose the latter. One of them impacts gameplay and those things have always been really important to us, and maybe more important so. You've got to find that balance, it's a world wide title that ships on four platforms [X360, PS3, PC and Wii] and you got all those places you've got to deal with those things. So it's really important on a design front and a business front to make sure you'll do the right amount of that. Not so much that you'll get in trouble, but enough to push the boundaries as hard and fast as you can.
    So basically what he says is that it has come up but made a well thought out plan to tackle two problems, one being a richer gameplay experience and the other one boring business and legal stuff... Remember the mission "No Russian" from Modern Warfare 2 where you had the possibility to shoot innocent civilians for no reason? Infinity Ward and Activision had so much trouble getting it through ratings, and they were eventually forced to remove that level completely from the German version of the game. Why they can do gore in the singleplayer campaign and not in multiplayer is beyond us, but apparently this is one of the reasons and we just have to take their word for it.

To quickly touch on other ideas, that were not implemented in Black Ops, what would you guys think about an option to create your own maps and environments to play in with your friends? Obviously PC gamers have been able to do this with mod tools in various Call of Duty games, but wouldn't it be a sweet deal to do this on consoles also? Vahn and the team at Treyarch have actually talked about this in the past, but chose not to implement it as it would be really really difficult to create and they only want to do something if they know they can do it right. So who knows... Great idea for future projects, maybe?

After seeing all the multiplayer gameplay, and having a rough idea of what features are included in the Black Ops multiplayer mode, what feature request would you send to Treyarch for future Call of Duty games?

Source

Re: Less Gore in Multiplayer

I'm hoping that doesn't transfer over to the PC version. We have more than 512MB RAM, thanks.

Comment

It's a censorship issue, they can tweak the single player for regions like Germany to have less gore, but in multiplayer you need to be on the same page for all players.

They have some really messed up censorship policies when it comes to rag doll physics in places like Germany, once a player character has entered a state of rag doll you're not allowed to interact with it - that's what I read anyway.

Comment

It's not a censorship issue. Turning off gore is an easy client-side variable, just like turning off spent shells or wall decals or whatever. It's never been an issue in PC games, going back at least to UT and I think Quake. Germans, and anyone else with draconian game censorship laws, can see a version of the game with no blood or gore or Nazi symbology without affecting how they interact with other players in the least.

Anyone who has played games should have noticed that you almost always get lower frame rates in multiplayer due to various factors. By adding weapons and skins and attachments, they're adding assets that have to be in memory at all times to avoid reading from the disc mid-game. That takes away from available resources, so gore is something they're going to drop in MP for the consoles to conserve RAM and allow other things to be added while keeping gameplay relatively smooth.

That's not an issue on the PC, though. 2GB is STANDARD for people who game on PC, with 4GB being common. The Xbox 360 has 512MB of RAM that is shared between the GPU and main system. The PS3 has 256MB for the GPU and 256MB main memory. They don't have OS overhead, but either way 4GB system + 512MB through 1GB GPU memory is a LOT more than 512MB totals on the consoles.

Comment

I dont think so, things like graphics are usually client-side. I do believe them that its because of the console limitations that they cant have customisation AND high gore. What was the Gore-state on WAW multiplyer? I never played it

Comment

Remember, weapons didn't have custom skins as expert level rewards in WaW MP. That was done so they could keep the gore level up without exceeding their RAM limits.

Something has to give on consoles. PC gamers can have the option. Gore + weapon skins hurting your FPS? Turn off gore. Problem solved. FPS fine with everything cranked, including gore? No problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0
              What was the Gore-state on WAW multiplyer? I never played it
              You could still blow off people's legs with grenades and such. I don't think there was any difference compared to the SP.

Comment

Bit of a ****ty move. Can't take that long to copy+paste the gore from singleplayer to MP... If it really is a lot of extra work I can understand them, but the policy of keeping platforms as similar as possible is weird.

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
                  but the policy of keeping platforms as similar as possible is weird.
                  Less work.

Comment

lets face it, many of us knew (myself excluded) that treyarch were going to support us better than infinity ward, but not THAT well.

Comment

Working...
                    X