Black Ops 24/7 - Summary of NowGamer's Articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Ops 24/7 - Summary of NowGamer's Articles

GamesCom has officially opened the doors to the media, this means that it's time for some Black Ops GamesCom news!

NowGamer » were quick to be one of the first to quiz Treyarch Community Manager, Josh Olin. Despite being in a bright red interrogation room, they certainly didn't feel intimidated or hostile and still manage to squeeze out some good answers from Olin.

It's no surprise that one of their questions to ask was based on Zombies and co-op. Although Zombies isn't officially confirmed, the recent news that four World at War Zombie maps will be returning to the Call of Duty: Black Ops co-op mode (for those who pre-order collector editions ») is a welcoming hint that Zombies or a similar mode will be turning.

As expected, Josh Olin remained coy when asked by NowGamer as to whether the co-op mode would be similar to Modern Warfare 2's Spec Ops. But when asked if it would be similar to World at War's Zombie mode, Josh replied "a little closer to that". He also mentioned that the campaign could feature locations relevant to the story and "anything that happened during the cold war is fair game".

Modern Warfare 2 was the biggest entertainment launch of all time. Therefore, it will be pretty difficult for Black Ops to beat that, even though pre-order sales » so far seem to show that the game has a chance. Josh Olin thinks that they are "in a great position to outdo Modern Warfare 2's entertainment launch". He then went on to describe how feedback from the community told them that "people want longer games and bigger explosions".

It's a known fact that Treyarch are upping their game with Black Ops, in every way possible. Whether that be with more employees and the whole studio working on this one game, more additions, plenty of improvements as well as using groundbreaking motion capturing technology. Josh mentions how they are using technology that was developed by James Cameron for his hugely successful movie, Avatar.

They decided to use Cameron's Performance Capture in order to create cut scenes that offer a much more 'cinematic feel'. But it doesn't stop there, Treyarch event used Cameron's purpose built studios for the work. This is the first game to use Cameron's technology, which captures face, body and motion all at the same time, this gives a more accurate recreation of the actors' performance.

With the release of Move and Kinect this fall along with the rise of 3D, many hardcore gamers will be wondering if games such as Call of Duty will one day be using these technologies. Sadly, don't get your hopes up as Olin replied "Does it make sense in a game like Call of Duty?". We find this to be a appropriate response, Call of Duty isn't designed for these and should be kept as it is.

And last but certainly not least! We've all experienced that one game which is full of people from across the globe, this means one thing, lag lag lag...But thankfully, Josh has confirmed that local matchmaking will be returning to Black Ops. This feature was a success in Call of Duty: World at War as it allowed for players to search for games within their area, meaning a lot of four bar games rather than two or even the dreadful one.

Thanks to NowGamer » for the information. Stay tuned to any more articles as new previews and information arrive. If you're headed to GamesCom this week then you won't be able to miss the Black Ops area (image above)!

JD_2020 » has also let us know that coverage from when he was in New York a few weeks ago will start to hit today. It's not certain if there will be anything new, but considering there was an embargo, then there's a good chance we may get something new.

Re: Black Ops 24/7 - Summary of NowGamer's Articles

Zombies? That's the number one question? I never understood that with COD 5. Never played that mode either. Seems rather silly.

Comment

Re: Black Ops 24/7 - Summary of NowGamer's Articles

Originally posted by GrossKopf
      Zombies? That's the number one question? I never understood that with COD 5. Never played that mode either. Seems rather silly.
      That was my exact reaction when I read about it before World at war came out, sometimes it's good to be 100% wrong. It started as a fairly basic gameplay option, but it started receiving mods from the community before regular multiplayer, and that's when it started to really shine, plus the subsequent officals maps helpt really push the modes complexity and map size. The additions of perks, the hell hours, and teleporters, really fleshed out what started anemic. It still didn't get to the level of a left 4 dead map, but it was very fun in very different ways, over all it was a more defensive style to left 4 dead's running for dear life. However both REQUIRE teamwork, and that's what makes it a blast with buddies.

To be honest I almost don't want it tied into Black ops, I'd rather wait and buy a separate game that's zombie mode only, and have it really compete with left 4 dead. However if it's included in this game, which it very much sounds like. I'm sure it will be done decent justice, mostly because it's the biggest differentiator from the IW call of duty games.

Comment

Working...
      X