Free Year of On Live with $5 a month for second year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Year of On Live with $5 a month for second year

On Live has this really great offer going in celebration of the lanch of their service.

Link: http://www.onlive.com/signup

IGN says you're pretty much guaranteed to get in if you sign up before July 15.
    I know some of you are skeptical about the service, but a few of their guarantees make this sound really promising

1. to play games in standard defenition, a 1.5 Mb/s connection is required, and to play in HD 5Mb/s.

2. Multiplayer games are fully supported.

3. there is a really healthy roster of supporting publishers that will be releasing for the service, including EA.

I'd say this is at least a good temporary solution for you with older computers wanting to hop in with some current games. I hope to do a small review of the service once it launches.

Re: Free Year of On Live with $5 a month for second year

The OnLive Game Service (the “Service”) Fee will be waived for the first 12 months from the date you activate your OnLive Account. During these 12 months, your access to the Service will include free demos and community features, such as member Profiles, Friending, Chat, Spectating and Brag Clip™ videos, but will not include any games, content or other services that are offered for purchase, and which must be purchased separately.
    But I am still very curious to see what they can deliver, so it will be interesting when they go live with this

Comment

I believe they are already live, their game list so far is sub par, Mass Effect 2 and A's Creed 2 being the only considerable buys imo, hopefully this will improve.

Comment

i know SOMEONE beta, the package THEY got was free first year and 1 game per year free.

I wonder if we get the $5 per month for the 2nd year thing too

Comment

I'm liking it, this will be a success. I think they should offer a cheaper plan for SD and they would make more money.

Edit:

I said that then i read all games are currently HD res. It doesn't look HD on my screen although it isn't bad.

The ability to "rent" pc games is the perk I like. No matter how you do that math for someone like me this is very worth it.

I can play games now that I would likely never play just because I can't stand paying 59.99 for a few days of gaming.

You could be checking it out in 5 minutes..it installs fast, and is super easy to signup for. Then you have 30 minutes of trial for like each game.

Comment

Originally posted by LunaTiK TunaLiK
            You could be checking it out in 5 minutes..it installs fast, and is super easy to signup for. Then you have 30 minutes of trial for like each game.
            Nope: "Currently, the OnLive Game Service is only available to users within the contiguous United States."
            I can actually sign up and run it, but the game dies due to network problems.

Comment

I must say, the gameplay videos look just like I feared:

Comment

I haven't touched FPS games yet because I don't need to. I've been playing prince of persia because that's a game i'd never buy for my pc and the game is very playable.

I think I'm going to try out dirt next.

Comment

So, do you think that video is good or bad?
                  I don't have much comment on Dirt since I have never played it, but if you look at the shooter from around 2:07 there are lots of jerky movement in the OnLive demo. At least that is how it looks to me.
                  And that is on an empty map with no opponents.

ETA: Hey, you edited you post, you cheater
                  I can see OnLive being good for many gametypes, but not shooters.
                  With their model, the fight against input lag is a fight against the laws of physics.

Comment

I think the video is good for what it is and will only get better in the future. I'm playing on 1080P and it looks much better at lower resolutions. I haven't had any jerky movements playing prince of persia. FPS is low but it's different than if you had like 20fps on your system. I suspect the game is actually running much higher than 20fps and the stream is just encoded at around 20fps or w/e which I think will also improve.

My favorite thing about it though is the fact I can rend PC games. I can rent a game for my girlfriend, my nephew or a game I want to try but not sure if I want to buy.
                    I can play pc games on stuff I normally wouldn't be able to like an imac...

This technology is going to explode..

My am mostly impressed at the input response. Some users are going to have more problems than others due to sharing internet with other people and slow/poor speeds.

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing, will definitelycheck this out

Comment

Bump: This might be relevant for those of you who live 10-15 meter from an OnLive Server

Comment

Working...
                        X