Why BFBC2 Vietnam should be free.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why BFBC2 Vietnam should be free.

I still think it's funny they promised free, new maps. Then they announce something like this...

So no new maps for the base game, just modes that most servers don't run. And an "expansion."

Comment

Originally posted by Kylee!
      Ummm, yea that makes no sense at all. You pay the listed price for TF2 and that's it, I don't know where you're getting these "codes" and "pre-order" notions from.
      The "codes" and "pre-order notions"* are just advertisements for valves other games, so in order to receive these items within TF2 you need to pre-purchase over steam. This can be explained with the recent LFD4 items, and many more. TF2 is just another medium for advertisements, that is how it makes its money otherwise it wouldn't still be operational.

And yes, it did make sense research: critical literacy.

Comment

Originally posted by *FMJ*Power
        i have no issues with paying for a expansion pack that's basically a mod as long as it's good. I'm more concerned about the community division,having to have separate servers for each and so on. player counts tend to drop at a pretty decent clip as soon as DICE divides the community.
        Agreed. I don't mind the price of booster or expansion packs, but dividing the playerbase affects everyone who plays the game, not just one group, like when half the players on a mixed-map server are kicked on a map change because they didn't buy the expansion.

Originally posted by RYKUU
        The "codes" and "pre-order notions"* are just advertisements for valves other games, so in order to receive these items within TF2 you need to pre-purchase over steam. This can be explained with the recent LFD4 items, and many more. TF2 is just another medium for advertisements, that is how it makes its money otherwise it wouldn't still be operational.

Have you even played TF2? Or even pay attention to TF2 news?

Out of all of those, 5 are promotional items. 3 for Sam & Max, 1 for L4D, and 1 for Steam on Mac. They don't affect gameplay in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
          Agreed. I don't mind the price of booster or expansion packs, but dividing the playerbase affects everyone who plays the game, not just one group, like when half the players on a mixed-map server are kicked on a map change because they didn't buy the expansion.

Have you even played TF2? Or even pay attention to TF2 news?

Out of all of those, 5 are promotional items. 3 for Sam & Max, 1 for L4D, and 1 for Steam on Mac. They don't affect gameplay in any way.
          Yes I have played it and yes I have listened to the news.

you guys are ,missing the point, TF2 is a place for product placement, similar to movies or ads. It may seem they are not advertising to you but they are, that is its purpose. Even free games MUST have some type of income otherwise they don't survive and are shut down.

Comment

So you're saying Valve gets money from Valve for advertising L4D(=valve game) inside TF2(=valve game)?

Comment

Basically, they have a free game that gets people into steam. Now although they technically probably lose money on TF2 they make a lot more from people using steam (and buying products from it). It's a way of getting people into the steam store.

Think about a supermarket, most of the time the the best sale offers will be at the back of the store (bread is now 50% off, go to here to get it). They will make a lose (or no profit) on the bread, but will gain because there is no doubt that you will buy other things while at the store.

Comment

The OP's idea is still solid. Provide the maps for free so as to not splinter the community, then charge for access to the new kits, etc. Hell if there are new vehicles (which there had better damn well be), lock out access to them if you don't own the expansion. Not sure how difficult that would be though. Crap, you'd prolly get people buying just out of frustration from sitting in front of some sweet new chopper they can't even use.

I'm sure it won't happen but it'd be nice for once to not have to worry what servers my friends are on, or feel like I am leaving people behind if I want to play on an exp server (or feel like I'm playing by myself if I want vanilla).

Comment

Originally posted by L-iNC
                  So you're saying Valve gets money from Valve for advertising L4D(=valve game) inside TF2(=valve game)?
                  comment below, and yes you are right.

Originally posted by =MNKY=Frosty
                  Basically, they have a free game that gets people into steam. Now although they technically probably lose money on TF2 they make a lot more from people using steam (and buying products from it). It's a way of getting people into the steam store.
                  Exactly, it is cross advertising.

Comment

Exactly, it is cross advertising.
                    I was really wracking my head over what the term was lol.

Comment

in my mind 42 Desert combat was the shiz,then came BFV POE.These two still set the benchmark for Battlefield.Sure BF2 destroyed them but i was never a fan of UAV,Arty.

My 2 cents

On the other hand no booster has ever been free.

Unless bf3 is around the corner they better start making maps!!!!!!!

Comment

*rolls eyes*

Yea except that has no "critical" effect at all, its just a tiny bonus that has no effect on gameplay. Its only slight cross advertising and I can't see it being such a scheme.

Comment

I agree with the OP. I'd love to see them offer it for free. I have played BF since BF1942, and I loved the DC mod. I stopped buying expansion packs for the very reasons the OP outlined. after the fist few weeks, no one is playing them. It is the same every time, and is seems to get worse. There were barely any NS servers in 2142. What a waste for the people who bought the expansion pack. It a system that obviously doesn't work. I think EA would stand to make more money, distributing it to all players and charging for advanced features as suggested. I myself would be more likely to pony up some more dough if I knew I wouldn't be relegated to 1% of servers.

Comment

EA =! Valve, two totally different companies with two totally different ways of doing things.

EA likes flashy, so they build new game engines and stay cutting edge, the side effect is they have to re-coup these costs (expansions, etc)

Valve has been using the same engine for several years now, they make up for it with quality game design and re-playability. Not to mention their games seem to give birth to memes like there is no tomorrow. (cake is a lie, nuff said)

*in before boycott of Vietnam*

Comment

Working...
                            X