Sense of entitlement must stop now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sense of entitlement must stop now!

It took me a while to realize it myself, but we all have this very bad sense of entitlement and elitism.

What you people need to understand is that companies need money to survive. That means EA and Activision, which are publishers need money, and DICE and Infinity Ward also need money to survive. These are just 4 examples of the countless companies in this world.

Now, imagine you have 2 types of people. Group 1 wants the game one way, and they promise to buy it if their expectations are met. This group is about 100 times smaller than group 2. Group 2 just wants a fun game they can come home to and play, they don't have any expectations other than fun-to-play.

I think you people understand that group 1 is most of the people on these forums. Group 2 is your average Joe who doesn't look up games before buying them, they just see cool commercials and ask for their weekly allowance from their Dad.

So you're the head of a company and you know you can get more money by selling a game that suits group 2, why the hell would you make it for group one and get 100x less money?!

Now here's where the big entitlement issue comes in. When you guys get the game you feel entitled to get free content. Why would a company waste hours of time to create NEW content for FREE when they know group 2 will buy the extra content?

I'm going to stop typing, I'm sure you guys got the message. So quit whining when it's a recycled map or a weapon without a scope.

Re: Sense of entitlement must stop now!

Originally posted by -Shifty-
    It took me a while to realize it myself, but we all have this very bad sense of entitlement and elitism.

What you people need to understand is that companies need money to survive. That means EA and Activision, which are publishers need money, and DICE and Infinity Ward also need money to survive. These are just 4 examples of the countless companies in this world.

Now, imagine you have 2 types of people. 1 group wants the game one way, and they promise to buy it if their expectations are met. This group is about 100 times small than group 2. Group 2 just wants a fun game they can come home to and play, they don't have any expectations other than fun-to-play.

I think you people understand that group 1 is most of the people on these forums. Group 2 is your average Joe who doesn't look up games before buying them, they just see cool commercials and ask for their weekly allowance from their Dad.

So you're the head of a company and you know you can get more money by selling a game that suits group 2, why the hell would you make it for group one and get 100x less money?!

Now here's where the big entitlement issue comes in. When you guys get the game you feel entitled to get free content. Why would a company waste hours of time to create NEW content for FREE when they know group 2 will buy the extra content?

I'm going to stop typing, I'm sure you guys got the message. So quit whining when it's a recycled map or a weapon without a scope.

That is with ALL companies my friend.

Comment

Thanks for missing my point.

EA/DICE doesn't owe us anything and we should be happy to receive extra content for free instead of whining about it. If they want to sell extra content then that's there decision, nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Comment

A lot of companies also appreciate the established regular customers and they know that by releasing quality games with great longetivity and which arent as bug ridden as a Vietnamese hooker, they know that their next product is going to be a much stronger release thanks to the hype generated by that established fanbase. Also, when a company has a certain track record, their games are bought with certain expectations and considering you cant return games for being sh!t, the sense of entitlement is fully justified.

Comment

It's the fact that they call it a map pack that annoys me, especially considering the videos for the map packs were made before the game was even released... Bad Company 2 is a console game anyway, BF3 should hopefully atleast take on from BF2.

Comment

I feel entitled to what they promised me. In this particular case it means that I expect them to:
            A) Keep patching the game until it works. I paid for a working game, not a beta.
            B) Provide new maps to VIP members like they promised

I usually don't expect free content updates for a game unless we have been promised otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by =MNKY=Frosty
              It's the fact that they call it a map pack that annoys me, especially considering the videos for the map packs were made before the game was even released... Bad Company 2 is a console game anyway, BF3 should hopefully atleast take on from BF2.
              Don't hold your breath, I don't like the look of it.

Comment

So basically if a company chose to charge for patches, that would be okay, because they're in it to make money? I don't mind paying for an expansion pack, but I hate being nickel and dimed for some new content or being offered a grossly overpriced map pack. And then those new maps do nothing but splinter the user base between those who have the new content and those who don't.

Yeah companies are in it for money, but they wouldn't exist without the people who actually buy their games. When you're making record profits with an overpriced game like Call of Duty 2, and then sell disgustingly overpriced map packs on top of that, then you're just screwing your customers over and trying to bleed them dry.

I personally can live without all of that crap, but I know idiots will buy it and set a precedent for companies to rape their customers even more. A company should support their customers and products, not the other way around. I guess customer appreciation died about 5 years ago. Not too much to ask to expect value from a product.

Just because a company CAN charge for something doesn't mean they should. See my statement about charging for patches. I bet they'll start charging for beta keys soon too if they don't already. And if they are going to charge for something, it should be fairly priced.

Comment

Gamers as a consumer are needy, whining, and vocal complainers. I wonder if there is a Starbucks forum where people complain about he cost of coffee or how their latte' tastes or if there's a Ford Motor Co. forum where drivers complain that cigarette lighters are no longer standard, nor ashtrays tjat they actually have to pay extra for something that was always 'free' before.

I think gamers in general, and I am one and no less guilty, whine because they can and have a format to do so easily.

Game development is big business. I once read that Sony Entertainment makes more money from their gaming division than any other division of SE. Costs associated with game development have skyrocketed as companies strive to meet the demands of the newest technological advances in gaming. Competition for the gaming audience has gotten a lot stiffer as well as there are fewer big time developers IE Activision and EA.

I think I'll truck over to my McDonald's forum and complain about the size of my burger, that'll show em.

Comment

Oh and on top of what I said earlier. The game industry is one of the least affected areas of business after this recession, look at Modern Warfare 2, smack bang in the middle of a recession comes the biggest selling game to date. They don't need to be doing all this overpriced dlc, overpriced games, overpriced anything. It's the fact that they can that drives them to do it, and the fact that the games industry is so narrow that only a few companies can compete.

Comment

We are entitled to (by law) what we paid for. Which isn't a beta.

Comment

Only thing is, this free content is something you would expect to be in the game from the start, instead it is cut out and then 'given' as free. I see this as increasing trend where companies cut out features you would have take for granted +5 years ago, and then sell it to you as extra features.

Comment

Hmm...

I get what I paid for, and certainly, I paid for a game that's in playable condition with all the content promised in the trailer.

If they want to put a additional price tag on new weapons, I may use that money to buy a new game.

Perhaps I m spoiled by BF2 and BF2142 where we did get free maps.

Comment

I think the best was BF:V, we had a lot of maps, new vehicles (Quad .50, T60 and some others) and even a WW2 mod with a mix of BF1942 + new weapons like the flamethrower and Garand, all for free from Dice. It was the good ol' time.

Comment

it depends if its something like constructive talk or simply being a ****ing prick

such as people spamming on the EA forums etc "WHERE IS THE PATCH - I WANT IT NOW - I DEMAND DICE BREAK THE SPACE TIME CONTINUUM AND GIVE ME THE PATCH, PATCHES ARE EASY TO MAKE, I KNOW EVEN THOUGH I BOUGHT MY PC FROM A SHOP AND KNOW **** ALL ABOUT SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT"

those types of people piss me off, otherwise people will always want something different from games so I tend to not pay attention

Comment

Working...
                              X