Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woes of climbing ranks. How do you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woes of climbing ranks. How do you do it?

Originally posted by RocketChild
    ranking up does seem tedious in this game. Since they put merit towards points from pins and badges. BF2 took a long time because all those token awards did not aid in your ranking, that only came from playing long hours.

In both systems though, I don't think you really get a good sense of someone's worth.

I recall in BF2, they started out with some super Sergeant Major or the Corps. That was supposed to the the elite of sorts and after that there were officer ranks...hmm, I don't recall how it was supposed to be setup though.

Honestly though, I recall wishing that BF2 had setup the rankings so that there were two paths to go down. Recall how they broke in the middle of your Sergeant? Well, at that point, I wanted them to go down a path of going all out enlisted or all out officer. Officer path would be for those that more instrested in Awards, while the Enlisted class would go all the way up through Warrant Officer, but would be based completely on playing kills, K/D, first place awards and such.

You had to choose and once down that path, that ingame name could never change. In effect, if you saw a Lt General, you knew that was someone that was a ribbon whore and they only played for tokens. When you saw a Master Sergeant or Chief Warrant Officer, you knew that person was a flat out run-and-gun god and would likely finish the round in the top 5.

That is kinda how it is in the modern military. Officers are political machines; while enlisted are people that fight for a living and earn their credit from field performance.

DiCE are you listening? Here is a new structure idea for BF3! Points or Stats, you have to choose one path after E-5!
    This... is amazing. Yes please.

Comment

Originally posted by Amaranthuse
      I just want my dogtag to be gold, what rank is that by the way?

Every end round is a IN YOUR FACE kind of progression, slow, tedious, and painful.

Wish some actions reward more points.

All Squad assists should be +50
      A headshot should be worth +30
      Arming/defusing an MCOM should be worth 200

Maybe weapon point multiplier should also be in effect.

Knife kill +50 for every enemy stabbed

+20 for every shotgun kill in addition to the +50

+10 more for pistol kills.

This would also eliminate "weapon" wh0ring.
      -50 for 40mm nade
      -100 for CG

Yeah, that would work for me.

Comment

i have been working on gold for every weapon to help in the rank climb. 5000 points per. Pistol, nades, rockets and mines are easier cause you only need 50 for gold. Also look into what you need for badges. Some badges are fairly easy to get and can net you 10k points.

Of course all this is secondary for me as i enjoy the game and always play with fun in mind. I only really start looking at what requirements when i get close to the next rank.

Comment

I think maybe it would be more fun if they had actual real ranks instead of made up ones. They had around 21 ranks for BF2 which would have been perfect for BC2 because don't you get the last unlock at rank 22 or something?

Comment

I went ahead and got pretty much all of the insignias and at least silver with every weapon. Not just to rank up, since they aren't worth THAT much, but to get some experience with everything in the game.
            So if I need to be able to run as a recon with a shotgun, throwing C4 and motion balls around, I can do that. If I get revived and have some random kit, I know that I've at least used everything in it enough to have a basic understanding of how to get kills or otherwise perform my role until I find something else or respawn.

My last two insignias (not counting the bugged bronze ones) are for mines and sniper marksman headshots. Mines are passive, so I just get bored setting traps instead of actively shooting tanks with my RPG. And I really don't have the patience to camp long enough for the sniper rifle headshots. Being far enough away for it to count as a marksman shot just goes against my whole play style.

I guess it's all about just playing for fun and using a variety of things in the game. I switch guns all of the time so I don't get bored with them like I did the AN-94 early on. Well, if that leads me to get gold stars on other guns instead of whoring a gun after platinum, my fun and rank both increase. Win + win.

By mixing things up, I have a feeling I'll still be interested in playing for quite some time to come, regardless of what rank I am at any given point in time.

Comment

Hmm...I overlooked the weapons part. Thanks for the advice.

I'll start trying out different weapons.

I'll start with RPG7, playing Iraqi Insurgent

Comment

aim for platiums in all guns etc.. ranking becomes quicker

Comment

What are the requirements for gold, silver, bronze, and plat?

How many kills?

Comment

For primary weapons, it's 25 for bronze, 50 for silver, 100 for gold, and you can get another gold every 100 kills. Platinum is 10 gold stars.

For vehicles and pistols, it's 10, 25, and 50.

Comment

Rank, shmank.

What will that rank mean in 2 years? You'll be bored silly and looking for BF3 or something. I know I will.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
                        Surely thats subjective to the type of player though Chris? Some people play the game for fun from day 1.
                        Its been a long time since there was a game which had longetivity without stats.

Comment

Originally posted by Amaranthuse
                          I just want my dogtag to be gold, what rank is that by the way?

But on the other hand you dont, I wish I wasnt over that rank I seem to get hunted for the Gold tag as opposed to people actually playing the game it gets tiresome so I resort to cheap tactics of a RPG to the face.

Comment

If you're hung up on ranking, use a variety of weapons and keep an eye on how close you are to picking up your stars. For example, if you're 6 kills away from a(nother) gold star with your M60, focus on that for the next couple of rounds - BAM, 5000 points.

I check my weapons kills every few days and can sometimes pick up 20,000 points in a single round just knowing which ones are close to medalling.

Comment

Working with friends in squads helped me tremendously. I focused on one class at a time and worked my way up. I still don't have all of the guns unlocked, but I am very close.
                              Yes looking at my KDR you can tell I play Medic 80% of the time, but team stays moving most of the time. :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
                                Its been a long time since there was a game which had longetivity without stats.
                                All games have some form of stats system and have done well before BF2 fully introduced the concept. I think its up to the player in terms of whether you play it for points of fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X