HD 5850 @ BF2 Stuttering Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD 5850 @ BF2 Stuttering Issues

I game on 1650*1080, and since replacing my HD4870 with a HD5850, I am getting stuttering in flight aspect of BF2?

I can find nothing from doing a google search except for confirmation that it is a known problem with BF2 and 5850's.

Anyone know a fix for this?

Re: HD 5850 @ BF2 Stuttering Issues

Originally posted by MatTheCat
    I game on 1650*1080, and since replacing my HD4870 with a HD5850, I am getting stuttering in flight aspect of BF2?

I can find nothing from doing a google search except for confirmation that it is a known problem with BF2 and 5850's.

Anyone know a fix for this?
    Update:

This is an ATI powerplay problem. The cards bios is set to request different clocks depending on GPU demand, so for older games that don't always require the full whack of the GPU, 'powerplay' will tell the GPU to operate at 157MHZ, 550 MHZ, 900MHZ etc.

It is when the GPU is jumping between frequencies that the stuttering effect is caused.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to effectively disable this bloody idiotic feature that basically renders all old games totally unplayable.

Comment

Further update:

Turned out that Powerplay was not causing the stuttering problem.......thus, despite having spent around 30 hours constantly trying to fix this problem, I fully clueless.

Just thought I would mention this fact here so that I might prevent some other poor sod with same problem from totally wasting thier life away trying to fix this problem.

sadFTGHJSFDGTYHQAWERTUHJQW$E%RUYadfrs
      hgsadfthsdfzth
      sraftghjsfdgt
      yhaqertuh

Comment

driver issue?

Comment

BF2 @ Windows 7 Stuttering Problem caused by Punkbuster

After around 40 hours of desperate bug searching I have nailed the culpritt responsible for causing the stuttering in BF2.

Punkbuster.

Delete the pb folder in your BF2 install directory and the stuttering problem dissapears. Of course, you will then be kicked off any PB sever after 2 minutes.

But Punkbuster is the problem.

Comment

Have you updated your PB through evenbalance.com to see if that would help?

Comment

Originally posted by Beav=OTF=
              Have you updated your PB through evenbalance.com to see if that would help?
              Off Course.

It is the Punkbuster 'update' that is causing this problem for so many.

Comment

Update: Problem Fixed

By deleting the PB folder in BF2 directory and reinstalling using PBsetup, the problem was resolved for me.

Comment

Working...
                X