Bolt gun study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt gun study

OK, I played as the most hated sniper a lot and I'm not claiming to be an expert on sniping in this game. I don't have the über skill but I do have something to discuss about those guns.

Although DICE screwed up bolt guns in the recent patch, there are still differences and distinction among those guns.

On the ballistics: it seems that SV-98 has the flattest trajectory. No wonder it had lowest long range damage. However, it unscoped itself after every shot so spotting is quite tricky. SV-98 is also very inaccurate. GOL seems to be the most accurate bolt gun out there with highest repeatable hit spot. However, it does have some bullet drop, and the crosshair scope doesn't help that much. It seems that M24 and M95 has the same bullet drop. In most cases, hit spot will be between the crosshair and first mil-dot under it.

On the scope: it seems that most people prefer mil-dot due to bullet-drop estimation. Some very good snipers who consistantly headshot me in the game use GOL. Very few use SV-98. I personally prefer mil-dot, but the Russian-style arrow reticles are actually pretty good on SV-98, if you know where to aim at long distance. (Hint, flat trajectory). Same scope on semi-auto SVU would require aiming at second or third arrow at long range, but those guns allow you to spot and make quick fix.

On the speed: SV-98 for the win. Largest mag. Fastest ROF. Auto cycling. The only thing bad about this gun is that it did auto cycling no matter what, and the hit pattern seems random. M24 and GOL operate more or less the same. M95 is slowest by quite noticeable margin.

On the damage: it made sense before the patch, and it doesn't make any sense now. SV-98 had low damage at range because it has flattest trajectory, which is also compensated by slight inaccuracy. It still do two-shot kill with magnum spec anyway, and just had lower chance to pick on someone injured. GOL has highest accuracy and same damage to M24 at expense of lower performing scope. Same on M95, which is compensated on accuracy and speed for damage. Now the damage chart doesn't make any sense.

On hardcore: I don't get it. Hardcore piss me off the I don't like hardcore. Not that I can't deal with not cross hair unscoped, nor can't I handle increased weapons damage. What hardcore does is taking away many of the element of Battlefield games and made it feels more like COD. Well, COD does have OSK bolt guns, and all of them are. The only gun I wish they have but never did is DeLisle. Anyway, if I want that kind of gameplay I play COD5 with Arisaka, Mosin-Nagant or Kar98k (I wish there is SMLE No.4 as well). Seriously, how many people are running with M95 with RDS to OSK people in hardcore? Last time I played hardcore, I got hit by all kinds of weapons, including those people don't use in regular games (which become irregular nowadays). Please, there is no need to change weapons damage to fit hardcore. Tune it back in the next patch.

Re: Bolt gun study

Oh, Bolt action guns. I was expecting "Bolt Gun" to be the Engineers repair tool. You know the ones used to kill livestock like camping snipers

Comment

they might as well introduce a crossbow not that sniper is so bad.

Comment

The SV-98 has become my new CQC bolt gun. For those who loved the M95+red dot+magnum combo, try out the SV-98. It doesn't have quite the punch the M95 did, but you will still get 1 shot kills under 40m and you'll love the 10 round box magazine and fast reload time.
        "Crunch's First Officer"
        twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Lol no matter how you preach me the science behind the bolt action weapon, I can never hit anything with the sniper rifles.

Comment

I had an easy time acquiring Gold for the M24. I absolutely hated the T88 for anything other than CQC with a red dot scope...

The SV98 is alright, except that it often seems to miss when the same shot would have hit with an M24. I don't appreciate that too much, given that I'm working on getting the marksmanship badge, which seems to bug the f*ck out, too.

Comment

the issue i have with SV98 is that sometimes the black markers in the scope gets lost in the view and i have to search for the arrow again. basically i don't like the crosshairs.

Comment

what exactly is the best sniper rifle now....

Comment

Originally posted by Amaranthuse
                  Lol no matter how you preach me the science behind the bolt action weapon, I can never hit anything with the sniper rifles.
                  It is hard...

Comment

Originally posted by Lotek19
                    what exactly is the best sniper rifle now....
                    GOL, then M24, and probably M95.

Comment

Originally posted by Amaranthuse
                      Then how exactly you get 145 kills (75 headshots) and 148 kills (70 headshots) with M24 and M95 respectively?

Comment

He headshot them at knife range

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheDiode
                          It seems that M24 and M95 has the same bullet drop.
                          M95 has less bullet drop. sure about it

Comment

Working...
                          X