No announcement yet.

Slow *enter game* for first time spawn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow *enter game* for first time spawn.

First let me say this is not slow map time loads. The maps load as quick as always the problem occurs after that.

Ok, so with that out of the way I just got my GTX 480 installed in my rig (I was previously using a 285). Everything seems perfect execpt for one annoying issue. As soon as I load into a server and the map is done loading all of a sudden my frames drop to some where around 2fps. It takes forever to be able to hit the Join button. The problem carries over into the kit selection screen. Everything is a slide show. Just hitting the Enter Now and getting the game to notice takes a good 5-10 seconds. Once i get in game the problem persists for another couple seconds then my card kicks in and my frames shoot up to where they should be. It's fine for the rest of the round only to occur again when the map is over and we are either switching sides or moving to a new map.

Any one see anything like this before? When I was first testing the card I noticed that during the map load the card would put itself in regular 2d clock mode. So, I forced the power management to Always use Maximum Perfermance in the nvidia control panel. That actually kept the clocks up but didn't solve the problem.

Thoughts? It's driving me insane.

Re: Slow *enter game* for first time spawn.

Basic question here, have you updated your video drivers to the newly released drivers?

Comment

Yeah, I'm using the newest from the 9th. They are the only ones that support the 470/480s anyways so i kinda have to :P well, not including the ones on the cd.

I still think there is something going on with the card thinking it's a 2d application or the like. I can't remember what it was with my 285 but GPU usage drops to like 2% when I'm at that kit selection screen.

Comment

In the Nvidia control panel, did you check your settings that renderahead is equal to what the settings.ini file has for BC2? The default is 2, so if you never changed it, then it should be 2 also, which Nvidias default is 3.

Have you tried the card in another FPS game?

Crunch
        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

yeah, right now they are both set to 0. And yeah the card works fine every where else. And in general it's fine in BC2 as well. Great frames, etc. It's just in that very opening stage that something wierd is going on.

Comment

hmmm, looking through my settings file, Ansio is listed at "Aniso=4" but it's set to 16 in-game. Gossamer's config tool also has it at 16.
            Is it always 4 in the settings file, and then it just gets ramped up once the in game settings load or is something amiss here?

Comment

Many of the options in the configfile should not be taken litterally. They refer to the index of the choice, not the actual value of the setting
              Taking AA as an example
              0 = 1
              1 = 2
              2 = 4
              3 = 8
              4 = 16

Comment

good to know. thanks

Comment

The problem is DX 11 related.. ATI has gotten better with their drivers recently on this... force your 480 to dx10 and boom problem gone..

I have the same issue with my 480, not that big, but its there...

Comment

Actually, with DX11 the problem is gone. As soon as the map is done loading I can jump right in the game smooth as butter. Sadly, using DX11 gives me long map load times since Nvidia hasn't fixed that issue yet. I'm sticking with DX10 and just sucking up the crappy first 10 seconds or so.

With a 15 second delay being added I might re-visit DX11 though.

Comment

Working...
                    X