What is with the Ping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is with the Ping?

For the past several nights I have been looking closely at my ping for the game, I usually try to log in to servers with very low ping rates, last night I log into a server at 16 ping, and once I am loaded into the game I check the ping and find that I have a 120+ ping, does anyone know why this is? If this has been discussed before I apologize in advance for the double post.

Thanks!

Re: What is with the Ping?

Yes, and I accept your apology.

I think one is actual ping and one is overall latency. You want both to be low, but the server number is going to be higher than the browser number. Both 16 and 120 are great numbers. In fact you will probably play OK in any game that has as high as 30/200. I know that I do. This wont be true for everyone due to different internet connections and servers and blah blah blah....

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

basically, the one in game is Latency, not actually Ping.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate it, and again apologize for the double post. Feel free to close the thread if you see fit. :thumbsup:

Comment

Server Browser: Ping = round trip packets sent from the client to the server and back with no processing involved.

In-Game: Latency = the time it takes for your client to send data to the server, the server to process it, and then send it back to your client. So it's how far behind the server you are. As server hardware gets better and server revisions are optimized, latency should drop a little.

It seems like most servers are taking roughly 80-100ms to process my data. My pings are always between 15-45ms to the servers I visit, and my in-game latency is usually between 95-145ms.

Comment

The lowest latency I've ever had was like 180, and the server browser said 40.

And I've never seen anyone lower than 140........ Stupid Brazilian internet.....

Comment

I had a latency of 90 in a Chicago server last night. That's the lowest I've seen so far, I think.

Comment

from Toronto to Chicago, ping 47, latency 130 on average.

A little lag when there's bad weather brewing outside.

Comment

Where can you see pings in the browser? Mine's an empty col

Comment

Originally posted by userdeal
                    Where can you see pings in the browser? Mine's an empty col
                    Mine was too until I set the game to "run as administrator"

Hush Minmaster :P

Crunch
                    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I don't know if the ping is true, I have some servs with 15 ping but ingame latency of 180, and servers with 30 ping and 160 latency. I guess it also depends of the server load, but I would like to see my ping ingame without having to buy a G15. I'm sure my ping is higher ingame that in the browser.

Comment

Working...
                      X