There seems to be no squad bond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There seems to be no squad bond

After playing BC2 since release date obtaining rank 33 I have only herd 1 guy try to use the mic in my squad. In my honest opinion I feel like my squad is only my spawn point and often find myself squad hopping for a better spawn location. I don't really get the bond I use to in most battlefield series where I'd either chat or voip and actually discussing plans. So far I haven't had any fun experience with the interaction gameplay and feels almost like playing with bots at time.
    Now before you go and start saying "join a clan and use vent" and I do, but I'm talking about nice people you meet along the way. I already know my clan and people in vent, but it's nice to meet new cool people that only comes once a few games.
    When playing in a pub, I noticed everyone is very distant and very quiet. Now this can be due to many things like

-Too busy to type because you can't stand still for more then 2 seconds freely.
    And even if you can type, dead people cant see and often times it get's cleared really fast.

-No commands like "Thanks chief!" or "You are the best squad I've ever set my eyes on" for interactions.
    I often find myself being revived only to run off like a mofo into the darkness without saying a word.

-No squad leader to take charge.
    Yes I like taking orders, it makes the game feel alive and real when you are depended on.

-Free spawning makes people squad hop just for instant actions.

-Having no commander(the one who actually commands)
    Feels like you're running around cluelessly.

Over all it just feels empty, I guess it hasn't been long enough for people to interact efficiently yet. I don't know if you guys feel that way but just wanted to post one of my random daily thoughts/rants.

Re: There seems to be no squad bond

*Commander voice* MY GRANDMOTHER COULD DO BETTER THAN YOU!

Yea i think it's mostly people in it for themselves. You do run into a squad every once in a while where everything seems to gel, but it is few and far between.

Comment

Also, the VOIP is extremely buggy, often doesn't work, is garbled, or people's mics are on constantly (I got yelled at about that just today, heh).

I occasionally find squads that work together to a certain extent. No one sticks together though, and I find that most squads that have one or two clan members usually turn out to be idiots and camping snipers.

That's why you play with friends when you can, like I do.

Comment

yeah the time I played with jake I think he couldn't hear me and I gave up; crunch and I could talk but we got lousy opposition and then the game xploded or something, there was not much to talk about. And I haven't gotten response from all the others here at TGN; and it's been a week since I last played cos RL got ugly.

Feel free to try to add me tough, if I'm logged on I'm always up for some one-liners at least; like "Not in my watch!" and "I will kill you with my chicken!"

Comment

The squads are too small. On a pub server at least two in your squad will be camping somewhere irrelevant, and then there is just you and one other guy, who never seems to be alive at the same time as you.

Army of One.

Comment

Ya, its weird. The mentality in BC2 is vastly different from, say, 2142 (and probably BF2 although I never played it). In BC2 I constantly give attack or defend orders but seldom do any of my squad mates ever follow them as they usually just run off somewhere else.

The gameplay is so different from 2142, though. Maps are small by comparison, gameplay is fast and furious, and its easy to be successful as a lone wolf. On some maps you can literally see from one end to the other, and so many people love to snipe, so there's not much opportunity to slow down, gather your thoughts, and make a plan.

I think part of the problem is BC2 is a more mainstream game which has attracted many non-Battlefield players who are not used to squad or team play. And other part is the design of the maps and gameplay. Hopefully BF3 will be more of a Battlefield game and bring back the experience we're used to.

Comment

Small Squad Size (Not even a squad, more of a team)
              Non-reliable in-game VOIP
              Not able to issue out commands beyond "attack or defend here"
              A team without knowing who's in charge
              Map design allowing and tempting team members to stray from the team to head to another point of interest

All these contribute to most teams not functioning as a team. At best of the worst, your team members are simply mobile spawnpoints.

Comment

And the orders you can issue doesn't leave much of an impression. How does it look if you have ordered someone to attack/defend an objective?

Comment

And there's no Commander like in 2142, which I thought was brilliant! A good commander would assign squads to not only attack or defend a point but more specifically where to relocate to on the map, which is missing from BC2. One squad might situate at one choke point while another squad would watch another. Here's hoping BF3 has all that ...

Comment

Fed up with pub fests? Give 21st Century Warfare a shot. Its organized, miltary styled combat with 4 divisions using TS3 comms, battle plans. dedicated passworded practice servers, and 12 hour Battles on Saturday. It started with BF 1942 / Desert Combat Mod and been runing strong since.

Its all about communications and teamwor, competitive play and community . So play Bad Company 2 the way it wa designed to be played - then come back and let me know how you liked it

www.21CW.net

Comment

I always thought people were just talking to each other in their own vent or TS servers... I almost never use ingame VOIP in any game.

Comment

BC2 is a multiplatform game, you have to take console in the account. Wait for BF3 and hope it don't get "casualised"

Comment

www.21CW.net will end that pubbing mentality, we have a BLAST, no pun intended, good teamwork, good fun.

Comment

Originally posted by [SA]4|1Sgt.Beav
                            www.21CW.net will end that pubbing mentality, we have a BLAST, no pun intended, good teamwork, good fun.
                            I sounds like it would also end my family life. Battle plans, Practice servers, 12 hour battles? No way would I have time for that.
                            Also, your names are nerdy. Sorry, but someone had to say it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
                              I sounds like it would also end my family life. Battle plans, Practice servers, 12 hour battles? No way would I have time for that.
                              Also, your names are nerdy. Sorry, but someone had to say it.
                              Actually you play as much as you want, you do not have to commit to a set amount of time, play 1 hour or play 12, it's your call, and as for the names, well what the heck is a Vreki anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X