Low GPU usage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low GPU usage?

So I just replaced my 9800GTX with a GTX 285 in order to get some better frames during heavy fire fights. After firing up the game I was still noticing some really bad frame rates in certain sections of the game. So, I fired up one of my monitoring tools and noticed that the vid card is rarely running above say 40-50% usage on the GPU itself. Some times it climbs to the low 60s on maps with a lot of blowing/swirling sand but thats about the highest it gets. Is this normal, or is something a little off here? Any one else notice some strange GPU usage when playing (I'm using eVGA's Precision tool to monitor it)?

For the sake of completeness:
    E8400
    4gb DDR2 Ram
    Nvidia GTX 285
    Win 7 64 bit

dx version still set to auto

Re: Low GPU usage?

Check your CPU usage, and if you find that the CPU is doing to much work, set your render draw ahead limit (check google) to more favour the GPU.

I have 2 x 8800 GTX and I smoke this game now that I fixed my cpu usage problem.

Comment

ok, thanks. i'll take a look at changing the render ahead settings

Comment

I'm also using an E8400. Overclocked it to 3.7GHz and it makes a huge difference. If you find that your cpu is bottlenecking then it might be worth a try. You should be able to get it to 3.6GHz on stock cooler.

Comment

I've already gotten it up to 3.3. I've got a Scythe but I just haven't really felt like messing with my timings. Looks like I'll be spending some more time in the bios today.

Thanks for all the suggesstions

Comment

Explore our Video Game Forums. Electronic Arts is a leading publisher of games on Console, PC and Mobile.

Comment

Working...
            X