Video card problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card problem

`I just recently had a problem and cannot seem to figure out what could be causing it. I try to log in to play BC2 and it comes on for 1-2 seconds then my video card fan winds up to what seems to be 100% and my monitor goes into sleep mode. I have played fine for a while, could this be a defective video card?

Specs:
    AMD Athlon II x4 630 processor 2.80GHz
    6GB Ram
    750 watt Rocketfish PSU
    Radeon HD 4890 w/ 1GB GDDR5 memory - not OC'd, Card temps are not hot and are about 70c in game
    Windows 7 Home Premium

Re: Video card problem

Hey, sorry to hear about this.

I have a XFX Radeon 5850 1 GB DDR5 GPU.

On idle it runs at 26 degrees Celsius and with BFBC2 in heavy load (Mortar strike + Tank + bloody screen + random nades) it's only about 38 degrees.

Note: Stock cooling fan on the GPU, Room temperature is at SATP. 25 degrees @ 101.25 kpa.

So this leads me to draw the conclusion that your car is running a LITTLE too hot.

Make sure you pop the "trunk" and unclog the fan and other obstructions due to dust bunnies.

=====================

Did you update your GPU firmware recently?

======================

How old is this card? My old 8600 GT is running strong on my work computer after 4 years of service

------------------------------------

Give me any other information you can think of for that card.

Comment

The whole computer including card and psu upgrade is less than a month old. I even have the side of my pc open with no dust. It is very clean. I have not updated anything pertaining to my gpu.
      EDIT: About the temps, if that it the temps you are getting then mine really sounds hot. This sucks, not sure what to do. Might have to take the card back. Lemme know what you think.

Comment

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your temps other than that I do not know what is wrong. Can you play other games?

Amaranthuse's readings do not sound accurate.

Comment

Could be driver issues. Last time I read an Nvidia thread in Overclock.net, that somehow messed with the fan control and many cards just died. Just check your temps and see if you can manually set your fan speed when you're playing.

I just bought an XFX 4890 HD Radeon and I had to RMA it for another reason, but that's another topic. The card scored very poorly on 3DMark Vantage. Almost the same score as my 4 year old 8800gts. I noticed you have the same card and not sure which brand of the card you have. If it's from XFX, I can tell you a story or two.

Comment

yup, try to roll back drivers and see if it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by LunaTiK TunaLiK

Amaranthuse's readings do not sound accurate.
              I've got a huge CPU fan that blows downwards and cools other components of my mobo.

My case is CM 690 II, the air circulations is similar to a plane's engine just without the noise.

Here's what you can try:

Put your card to a similar computer and see the results.

IF it's the same result, then its a faulty card, go RMA.

If not, we may need to troubleshoot the new driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Highrisk
                Could be driver issues. Last time I read an Nvidia thread in Overclock.net, that somehow messed with the fan control and many cards just died. Just check your temps and see if you can manually set your fan speed when you're playing.

I just bought an XFX 4890 HD Radeon and I had to RMA it for another reason, but that's another topic. The card scored very poorly on 3DMark Vantage. Almost the same score as my 4 year old 8800gts. I noticed you have the same card and not sure which brand of the card you have. If it's from XFX, I can tell you a story or two.
                It is an XFX card. I did adjust my fan setting through CCC, and it seems to be working so far. If it happens again, i'm going to take it back. How long did it take to get a new one?

Comment

Originally posted by Tampa
                  It is an XFX card. I did adjust my fan setting through CCC, and it seems to be working so far. If it happens again, i'm going to take it back. How long did it take to get a new one?
                  I had version: HD-489A-ZDFC. The last 4 ZDFC, are the bad cards that most people seem to run into. Not sure if it has anything to do with the temperature, but the card I had was terrible. It scored only 1,000 points higher on 3dMark 06 than my 4 year old 8800gts. I just got confirmation that it was faulty from their support team. No clue when it's going to arrive at my house. Card is in California and I'm in Jersey lol.

If you really have the time, try 3dmark Vantage, they give you a free trial. If the card scores between 7,000-8,000 when it should be at least 10,000; then chances are that card might be faulty. It takes time to download 3dmark Vantage and you only get "one" use on it unless you buy the key.

Link to Vantage program - http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks...tage/download/

Comment

[QUOTE=Amaranthuse;2699812]I've got a huge CPU fan that blows downwards and cools other components of my mobo.

Your CPU fan blows heat over your other components? I'm not exactly sure I understand what you said.

What are you using to read your temps? I'm just not sure it's reading the same sensors as Tampa's or not reading them correctly. Those temps are temps of an expensive water cooled setup. They don't match your cards normal stock temps at all no matter how much air you blow through there.

Comment

Working...
                    X