in-game pings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in-game pings

it's on the scoreboard between the k/d and score column right? how come everyone has terrible pings? is this because frostbite destruction is so demanding? i rarely see anyone with ping under 100 and everyone is usually 200-300. even when i join under 100 ping servers, my in game ping is more like 200. is there some game wide lag affecting pings once you start playing on the servers?

Re: in-game pings

I honestly think the pings have 100 added to them or something, I usually have between 140-180, and usually my ping is 40-80...

Comment

I have seen someone from DICE state that the ping in the server browser is the correct one, the ingame ping is broken.
      I am too lazy to locate the quote, sorry

Comment

Well, sort of. The statement I read was that the one in the server browser was the "pure" ping. Just a packet there and back, ping-pong.

The in-game number supposedly represents the time it's taking for the server to actually process the data and respond.

Which is why when I join my server, where I have 15ms pings, in-game it says 130-140. The game acts as if I have 130-140ms pings, too. Sometimes I have flashbacks to MW2 where I run behind a concrete barrier and get killed by the guy who can't shoot me anymore. Or bullets seem to be poisoned. You know what I mean: you shoot someone, he shoots you, you die, he dies a second later from bullets that should have hit him WAY before that? Or you knife someone, only to fall over dead a second later from bullets your victim shot before you killed him? Strange things...

Comment

there seems to be quite a bit of instances where 1v1 ends up in both guys killing each other. i actually like it but i wonder if that has to do with the latency issue.

i can understand if the things that go in the server like keeping track of destruction and such causes some processing delays but still the ping seems way off.

Comment

I've noticed this as well as well as some serious feeling of lag.....not so much latency, everything is smooth but so many times i find myself staring at a guy, unloading 6 shotgun rounds into him, seeing blood on my end thinking its a kill, then only to have him rush me and knife me and the kill cam shows 100% health on his end even though on my end i hit him with 6 shotgun slugs. there is definitely some kind of serious lag between what each player sees on screen where timing is concerned and the more people are getting used to the engine the more they are starting to noticing it.

Comment

its really noticeably when you shoot at someone, run out of ammo, and then while your in the middle of reloading, the guy falls over dead and you get your point notification. I suspect many people are wasting ammo this way...

Comment

yeah I get that all the time, pull my pistol and we both pistol each other at the same time, and we both die, I guess bullets fly slowly

Comment

yea one wonders if this network processing lag could be a reason that 64 players is not a possibility at this time.

in terms of bandwidth consumption, are BC2 servers on the high side?

Comment

Originally posted by TGL|Badlizzard
                    yeah I get that all the time, pull my pistol and we both pistol each other at the same time, and we both die, I guess bullets fly slowly
                    See, poisoned bullets.

Comment

I too experience some pretty serious lag, where on my g15 lcd , my ping will show in the server browser like 15 or so, when I get into the game, the LCD displays the ping as like 80-90, and often lag spikes to 150-200, often...

It only happens with BFBC2, so I am praying its just the connection / server issues they are working on. Otherwise I wont be able to play like this.

Ive sometimes lag spiked so hard that my game crashes, how sad is that.

Comment

how do u know that the lag crashed the game?

Comment

I can't remember what it is called, but ReaperOfSouls and I came to the conclusion that the ping in the server is dual loop (Or whatever). Basically, if you divide it by 2, you would get a better estimate as to what your ping ACTUALLY is.

This has proven pretty accurate comparing my G15 LCD display and dividing the ingame ping by 2. Basically, the ingame ping most likely traces your ping to the server, and back to you. (2-way) while most games read ping 1-way.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it makes sense to me.

Comment

I thought ping was always round-trip, though. It's the time it takes for a packet to get there and back. Both ways.

Multiplying it x2 makes no sense...

Comment

Ping , is a measurement of how long it takes to send and receive a single packet of information.

Comment

Working...
                              X