Regarding balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Regarding balance

It's kind of a port content wise. They didn't grab the PS3 version and tried to play it on PC, saw it performing decently and released it as is. They had a PC version of the engine available, then grabbed all the console content, copy pasted into the PC engine and updated textures and features from there.

So it's not built from the ground up for PC other than the engine, but it's not a port.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_
      That it is a port or it isn't?
      That too, but anything. The saying is very true.

Ive said it before so now maybe I believe it, but a port isnt always a bad thing. I dont just mean BC2, but any game, if done right, can be excellent conversions to their respective platform they came from. I Keep refering to Batman:AA as a great example. I personally think this game is a great one as well.

Of course Ive only been able to play it a few hours

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

A good port isnt just a well running one, the best port to date is Call of Duty 4, without a question. It has features which are required for great pub longetivity, aswell as covering the competitive community needs. If it starts missing crucial features, it might aswell be as bad as Ubisofts porting philosophy. Were dealing with two different communities, especially when it comes to how user generated content, millions of different hardware setups and method of connection.

Comment

I really dont understand why DICE failed to put an autobalance in this game.

Comment

I think it is in there

it just doesnt work atm lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
              A good port isnt just a well running one, the best port to date is Call of Duty 4, without a question. It has features which are required for great pub longetivity, aswell as covering the competitive community needs. If it starts missing crucial features, it might aswell be as bad as Ubisofts porting philosophy. Were dealing with two different communities, especially when it comes to how user generated content, millions of different hardware setups and method of connection.
              Yeah, CoD4 was. I know its not made by the mighty IW, but W@W was really good as well.

As for autobalance, there is some things built in, not just on the server, like being able to change teams only once in a couple rounds.

Crunch
              Twitter: @CptainCrunch
              Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by Lordsethonan
                Mmmm, no. At no time we were promised a BF2 sequel of any sorts, just a BC2 game developed with the PC platform in mind and not a direct port. so it can't fail at something it was never meant to succeed at. However, I agree that DICE has better step up to the challenge andcode in more PC centric features.
                I know this game isn't meant to be a BF2 sequel. From my understanding, most games are probably built with either the consoles or the PC as the primary platform. So the secondary platform will usually have to be ported to some degree.

Unreal Tournament 3 was made for all major platforms, but it seems like it was developed primarily for the consoles. It should have been developed for the PC first, then ported over to the consoles given the nature and history of the game.

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
                If its a port, imo its one of the best ports there is.
                Granted I haven't really played any other "ported" games (unless Dirt 2 counts), but I would agree. I think they have done a solid job at giving it enough attention so it works well on the PC. But when you compare it to BF 2, the limitations are obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by MrChris_CJ
                  I think it is in there

it just doesnt work atm lol
                  :nod:

You'll notice that there's an option for auto balance on the little server info thing as a map is loading. I guess no server has or is able to implement it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_
                    :nod:

You'll notice that there's an option for auto balance on the little server info thing as a map is loading. I guess no server has or is able to implement it yet.
                    As a server admin, trust me it's checked, it just doesn't work.

What's really stupid is you can't move people from one team to the other either. So it's not like a well run server can do anything about it. The best thing you can do right now is threaten people to move to the other team or kick them.

My clan currently tries to keep our server fair by moving out members back and forth between teams as needed. Unfortunately even that is screwy since if you switch too many times it won't let you switch anymore.

Sometimes I wonder if EA was trying to make things as difficult as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Painboy
                      As a server admin, trust me it's checked, it just doesn't work.

What's really stupid is you can't move people from one team to the other either. So it's not like a well run server can do anything about it. The best thing you can do right now is threaten people to move to the other team or kick them.

My clan currently tries to keep our server fair by moving out members back and forth between teams as needed. Unfortunately even that is screwy since if you switch too many times it won't let you switch anymore.

Sometimes I wonder if EA was trying to make things as difficult as possible.
                      sigh* Oh EA...

I assume they'll have it implemented at some point then, otherwise it wouldn't be listed.

Comment

Working...
                      X