Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 2 freezing, crashing and graphic artifacts problem

Hello guys,

I have owned Battlefield 2 for some time, and played it on my old rig, which wasnt very powerful, um Pentium III I think it was. It was slow, and the graphics werent great, along with plenty of lag. However I could still play matches. Anyway recently I decided to upgrade my computer, with the following spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @3.00GHz
    Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3
    2x Corsair 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory CL5 1.8V
    Foxconn P45AL P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio Out ATX Motherboard
    Huntkey 500W Balance Power PSU - 12cm Fan with 4x SATA 2x PCI-E
    Zotac (NVidia) GTS250 512MB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out PhysX and Cuda ready PCI-E Graphics Card
    Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM Caviar Blue
    LiteOn IHAS324 24x DVD±RW Dual Layer & RAM SATA Black
    Samsung SP0802N/ SCSI Disk Device
    ST316021 2A SCSI Disk Device

These parts are all brand new save the hard discs and operating system disc.

I built this machine myself, in order to play relatively old games like Battlefield 2, Battlefield Vietnam and Battlefield 1942, and 2142 in the near future. When I installed all of these, and played Battlefield 2 for the first time, I managed to load a single player game, and select my kit, but after 10-30 seconds of gameplay, the graphics started messing up, and become what I assume to be "graphic artifacts". The colours go crazy, and then the game freezes, sound loops after 5 more seconds, and then the screen goes half black on the bottom, and the top half flickers like mad. Ctrl + Alt + delete does not work along with Ctrl + Shift + Esc. There is no option but to restart the machine. After trying this several times with the same result, I decided to try my other games, BF: V and BF1942. Both end up with the same result, messing up after 10-30 seconds of gameplay. This goes for single player and multiplayer on each game. After restarting after BF: V did this on one occasion, XP did throw up an error report, but I didn't get down the details, and after recreating the conditions this error report didnt come up again afterwards.

I have installed the latest NVidia drivers for the graphics card, and after viewing other forums, I deleted the BF2 cache, tried my RAM in different combinations and turned the settings down low, all with no change to the gameplay.

Please could someone help me, as I have spent what is to me a lot of money in order to play these games, with what should be a more than enough spec.

Thanks,

Sean.

Re: Battlefield 2 freezing, crashing and graphic artifacts problem

P.S.

I have now plugged in both 6-pin sockets connecting the GPU to the power supply, disabled Anti Aliasing.

Battlefield 2 finally gave me an error report, here it is:

BCCode : 1000007e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 8054B10D BCP3 : B8533870
    BCP4 : B853356C OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

Currently, when I play a game, the weird colouring, pixellation and graphic artifacts have gone, but the game still crashes/freezes after 10-30 seconds, as well as on one occasion, automatically rebooting. After this occasion, I disabled the auto reboot option, in order to see the blue screen of death error report; however no such blue screen has appeared in subsequent tries.

Comment

Nvidia announced there was a problem with the latest drivers and that everyone should roll back to 196.21 or earlier.

Also, you may be pushing your power supply. 500W may not be enough.

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

yea definitely upgrade that PSU. reboots and graphical anomalies sound like your PSU is being pushed to the max. i don't know how good that brand is but you are supposed to have something better with that video card and all those devices in ur PC.

Comment

Working...
        X