First (honest) Impressions, SP and MP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First (honest) Impressions, SP and MP

ok, I played the first game on consoles, SP was fun but not addictive, MP was fun but not quite the BF experience.

That stated: This game rocks. Rocks like KISS when they rocked.

My expectations were the usual stuff back before installing the beta. It's a DICE game right? It's going to be fun but it's going to have a ton of bugs, it's gonna be patched late, it's going to be fun then they are going to release a patch that will break the game completely without solving bugs present from the beta.

Boy I was wrong.

Say what you want; that the beta wasn't perfect, that it wasn't really a beta, that the game doesn't show anything new and is dumbed down, etc. Compared to past PC games DICE has released it's as perfect as you going to get.
    The PC beta had issues like any other game, and every other DICE game. DICE has always seemed to me like the kind of developer that goes "Ok, you are all good in your not so constructive griticism, I ama let oyu finish ranting; but we want to do the game one way: our way" and goes and does it.
    Most of the time is fun, sometimes it gets irritating that they neglect to fix blatant shortcomings in their code. there are the dolphin dive and air superiority issues as prime examples.

Now, BF Bad Company 2 multiplayer beta. RC1 was almost as good, if not better; than BF2142 patch 1.50 in terms of stability and overall performance, very hard to judge; you could see it was incomplete, but the potential was there all the way to RC4.

Now on release post day 1 patch: It's simply awesome; performance is still sketchy since the game works better when you play it on higher settings; my meager E8400 on 2 GB of value ram and an aging GF7950GT are capable of running this thing at steady 30 fps; it's not perfect, but for a newly released game, on a new engine; getting this framerate is amazing. Antialiasing is more of a luxury and not a necessity if you are playing on HD resolutions; the equivalent computer from the early BF2 days didn't give this performance on that game; I had to upgrade twice during BF2 lifetime to get acceptable framerates while playing; here I am looking at a complete computer upgrade, but only to future proof for BF3whenever.

Single player so far is fun, haven't finished it mostly because I went and sunk aw hole night on multiplayer; but it continues the sillyness of the first game and the main characters are as funny as ever; plenty of jabs at other gaming genres, and FPS competitors. It's like they are aware they are in a generic FPS, and run with it for all it's worth.

and the star of the show, Multiplayer: I can tell you this, DICe has everything already to bring on the next generation Battlefield to PC and consoles, and no other developer will be able to compete. CoD would have to completely overhaul its mechanics and get a new graphical engine, MoH is simply another spec of dust in the market after this, I can't picture the new MoH stealing any player from BC2 in the near future, much less in the long run.
    It's certainly not the traditional BF experience, but it's not dumbed down, it's not simplified. I'd say it's streamlined.
    If they just added 32 more players, and jets following the new balance paradigm; they could get away with calling it BF3 and sell a funkton of copies on day one.

Even with the current lagfest that is the ranked servers from EA, hit reg is as good as on the best BF2 days; not as good as on console demo, but better than past BFs over the internet. Very seldomly will you find yourself blaming the engine for not killing the guy you clearly saw aiming at you; it's down to each player ability, no more rage over dust shots; going 10/12 kdr on 250 ping is reasonable I guess.
    One thing refreshing to see, is full map rotation. If admins are looking for the next karkand, please, keep looking for at least a year beacuse playing all themaps is real fun. Highlights to Laguna Alta, Ataca desert on conquest (my guess as the favorite conquest server for 32 players; you get 4 tanks and 2 choppers, tough not blackhawks)

Maps on the pictures look real small; but on practice they allow for a lot of flanking maneuvers; the fact they were designed for 24 players and not 32 shows through sometimes, but it's not a deal breaker. When you get past the 64 player fragfest nostalgia and start comparing them to 32 player maps on BF2 instead of the 64 version, you'll stop raging and start enjoying. The desert map is the one with the most "useless" space but it's good since it has a lot of armor.
    At least for PC DICE can at any time design and release bigger maps; the balance of distances is good, you never feel you are just walking around with no real goal, but it doesn't feel cramped up in one place either.

I certainly hope that all coming patches are just for content and performance tweaking. So far weapons feel balanced out, a couple of people already has "end game" weapons and perks; and you never get the feeling they have an unfair advantage. I have almost finished unlocking the assault tree, but kept playing with the starter rifle and have never said "well once I get the good guns, I'll do better".

I have yet to try Squad deathmatch, but I don't think it's a game mode that lends itself for pubbing. with guildmates or friends it should be a blast.

Vehicular gameplay is amazing; all vehicles repond fast, handle well and facilitate teamwork with good players. Vehicles with no support are going to be death traps, but even random support can extend your life expectancy and team superiority greatly. focused, planned support will lead to victories for sure. Now more than ever, don't leave base without an engie. If you can't get friends or clannies, forego the extra weapons and choose armor enhancement for the time being; the machine gun is not going to save you from a ton of RPG volleys.

I'd recommend if you are going to call in old guildmates to this game: go in with no preconceived notions, relearn the game, try to enjoy it as a different game and pretend it's the first battlefield you play. you can pub around effectively and still pull a win from time to time, but this game shines when you have a cohesive unit of players; a single squad can turn around the tide of battle.

Minor complaint: DICE hurry the hell up and release a ten dollar booster mod of 2142 with Titan, or start working on BF3 already but keep it like this; if somebody were to ever condone a developer slapping a couple features on a game and call it a sequel, this is the time. This just needs jets, comrose and 64 players on somewhat bigger maps; and you can put the 3 after Battlefield, and no one will complain.

PS: if you can't work around prone; you can leave it out; no one is missing it after choosing war tapes from the sound options.

Re: First (honest) Impressions, SP and MP

Awsome Review. Thanks.
    But to be honest i just did not agree with te prone thing and i was going to add u some rep till in the end u sayed: "dice we dont mind if u make bf3 without prone" . And that was what made me go from :thumbsup:--->-->--->:hmm:-->:|:--->(ohno)-->:rawr--->:facepalm:

Comment

I'm not here for the rep; honest, if they released as is, just slap a big red 3 after the word "Battlefield" and support for 64 players on bigger maps; we'd all eat it smiling; it's just too much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordsethonan
        we'd all eat it smiling; it's just too much fun.
        Speak for yourself ,thankyou:wee:.

Comment

Rambo were well versed in your hate of the game and quite frankly, Im tired of it.

Heres a simple soloution. DONT PLAY IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT.

End.

Comment

Good review, Lordsethonan. I haven't gotten very far in SP yet, too much fun playing MP...........but thats why I bought it really.

After today w/PB problems, .........its finally running smooth and with good frame rates. Besides the game moves a little fast for prone to be very useful. Well.......at least IMHO.
            Squad DeathMatch is awesome!!!!!! Great fun for small groups. Could be a new way to go in DM games. Besides its fun to watch everyone gang up on a lone tank driver.......take him out, then turn on each other and blast away!!!! Better than "free-for-all"

Comment

Originally posted by [29ID]A|CPT.Juno{XX}
              Rambo were well versed in your hate of the game and quite frankly, Im tired of it.

Heres a simple soloution. DONT PLAY IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT.

End.
              you need to chill out man. he's just having some fun. you need to stop taking all the posts so seriously man. enough with your "don't play it if you don't like it" crusade man, it's starting to get really annoying.

Comment

As if Rambo is any less annoying.

I agree with the OP though. The core gameplay is amazing if you like the smaller scale combat (which personally is better than 64-player deathmatch), all the weapons are well designed and balanced, classes are varied, etc etc. The new squad dynamics and similar is obviously a matter of debate but I like it more to be honest.

The engine plays great, the destruction adds a lot to the game, I could go on and on.

If you're waiting for BF3 you could be waiting forever, and who's to say it's not any worse than BC2? We know nothing of the game.

Comment

Yes I do take the posts seriously, much like I take my gaming seriously. And when I constantly see complainers, BEFORE the game is even out, it is annoying to me. I rather enjoy BFBC2 , I went back and tried to play BF2, and didnt care for it, and I've been playing BF2 since day one.

For me, I don't miss the jets as I never flew them anyway, the heli's are still there and better than ever, the infantry combat is second to none, the destruction is second to none, the weapons and gadgets aren't gimmicky, and give you some real decent options when playing your class, and you can tailor your loadout to any situation. The hit detection is amazing, and I havent had any problems there.

Hardcore mode is a good change up, and will suit those looking for it, BFBC 2 has upped the ante in every area.

Do I miss 64 players ? Yes, yes I do. However the maps the way they are it wouldn't fit.

Does it feel a little more cramped than BF2 ? Yes, but I think thats because I only played on 64 man servers. I think as stated before, if you compare 32 player maps in BFBC2 vs 32 player maps in BF2, there is no contest.

Prone.. Does the game need prone ? No. Could it benefit from prone, maybe. With the ammount of concealment available, prone would be a devastating camping tool, and I suspect thats why it was left out. In bf 2, you had lots of cover, but very little concealment. In BFBC2 , you have lots of concealment, and lots of cover, but the cover can be destroyed.

Comment

Due to shaky internet connection last night I only played two or three maps of the MP. I think I'm going to love the MP.

Due to the same shaky internet connection I played the hell out of the SP game and nearly finished it. Meh. Way too many cut scenes break up the flow of the game play. The sophomoric banter between the squaddies is entertaining but talk about three guys that can't hit the broadside of a barn with 500 rounds of ammo. I think these guys must be the retarded offspring of Captain Price. They can't kill a flea.

SP game also suffers from direction. Other than an orange diamond outlining the latest goal or objective there is very little information or signals to let you know what you are doing. I am also not a big fan of the requisite rail shooting segments that most FPS games have these days. BFBC2 has rail segments out the wazoo. It feels like almost every other level has a rail shooting portion. The story is run of the mill, at best. I did, however, chuckle at the references to MW2.

I have found the SP experience as a whole just tedious. I doubt I'll ever play it again. Whereas, I've played the Cod2, 4 and 5's SP game repeatedly.

The SP game is purely fluff, I don't feel disappointed as I really want to play the MP.

Comment

I haven't finished the campaign yet, but I've been loving it. I tried the MW2 campaign and it didn't hold me interest even for a full hour.

It did get a bit slow when you're running around the desert, but overall it's held my interest and the characters are really awesome. I loved the little jabs at MW2 too. "p*ssy *** heartbeat monitors" had me lol'ing.

Comment

Bad Company 1 was funnier with an absurd story (in a good way, gold gold gold), the BC2 campaign is more serious with a meh story but it's ok. MW1 & 2 seem to have scenario made by 12 years old that take war and politic seriously but don't know anything so in the end it's annoying.

In terms of gameplay BC2 is your standard linear FPS.

Comment

yeah but it's nice that it doesn't take itself seriously; the guys look a bit ANNOYED they have to save the world. I haven't finished the campaign, but Marlowe sounds like he's starting to get used to be in B-company.

Comment

I wish they would have used the same voice actor for Haggard from BC1.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
                              Speak for yourself ,thankyou:wee:.
                              Rambo, when you can, get around to playing without comparing it directly to BF2; then try to go back to BF after a couple hours. Actionis non-stop and packed, it's hectic, not frantic. Whatever sluggishness people complain is there, it's not. Tanks feel like they run at 60 mph, ATVs are even faster than in beta, the chopper is quasi-realistic, but the fact it's easy to pilot doesn't mean it's fast to master; it's a whole new ballgame now that you need two people on the chopper for it to be any threat.

Newbies will fly on the chopper and provide support once they get the hang of it; on expert hands the chopper will clean the map completely but never unfairly; it's difficult to take down if there is no concentrated effort to do so.

Perks allow for crazy combinations, and tough extra armor and piercing ordinance is the defacto combo; you have to remember, engies get extra power on rockets too so it cancels out; There are: faster reload for tanks and rockets, tracer dart for chopper that couples with guided missile, smoke and zoom in; it mixes the perk equipped by both pilot and gunner; so you never know what the other team is going to be using.

you really have to go into this without comparing it directly to BF2, seeing it through rose tinted glasses. If you are going to compare it and dismiss it you are not doing this game justice.

Comment

Working...
                              X