Q6600 2.4Ghz Vs. E8500 3.16Ghz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q6600 2.4Ghz Vs. E8500 3.16Ghz

I have both cpu's and i would like some feedback from you guys to help me decide wich one i should put in my rig to run Bad Company 2 the best. I am running at 1920x1200.

Q6600 or E8500 ????

Thanks for the help guys !! Cya on the battlefield

C2D E8500 3.16Ghz with Zalman 9700LED Cooler
    OCZ reaper 4Gb 1066Mhz
    ATI 4870x2 with Acclelero Xtreme Cooler
    SB X-FI Extreme Gamers Fatal1ty
    WD Velociraptor 10k 150Gb
    Corsair HX1000 watt
    Antec twelve hundred Case
    Samsung 275T 27" LCD Monitor

Re: Q6600 2.4Ghz Vs. E8500 3.16Ghz

BC2 seems to be one of the few games that really takes advantage of quad cores, so.......

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
      BC2 seems to be one of the few games that really takes advantage of quad cores, so.......
      Unfortunately, I don't know whether that is Dice's genius or inefficiency.

Comment

Q6600, but overclock that baby to AT LEAST 3.05ghz. Aim for 3.2, but good luck, mine was way too unstable at first at 3.2. I had to mess with voltage and a bunch of other crap until I finally got it stable.

Comment

Q6600. Quad core because the sounds is more reliant on CPU. And if you can, overclock it.

There is a good overclock guide =98= made in the Technical center area.

Crunch
          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I wonder whether I should get a Phenom II X4 965 or wait for Phenom II X6.

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheDiode
              I wonder whether I should get a Phenom II X4 965 or wait for Phenom II X6.
              A quick search leads me to believe that the X6 will be at lower clock than the X4
              I am guessing that most games will benefit more from high clocks than 2 extra cores.

But then again:
              There are not a lot of details available at this point, but what we do know is that when single-thread performance is needed most, Thuban processors will automatically disable idle cores and overclock the remaining engines to the maximum possible level that is determined by general thermal design power. The technology will be completely hardware-based, hence, will work in any operating system that supports six-core chips.

Comment

Yeah, I figure that, too. However, I probably will need extra cores to run FRAPS in the future. Time to make some videos.

Comment

i am not gonna overclock... sorry i forgot to say it lol
                  I don't have time to run softwares like orthos to verify if everything runs smootly.
                  at stock speed then. E8500 3.16Ghz or Q6600 2.4Ghz ???? The Q6600 bottlenecks my video card tho hahahaha

I dont know man... omg ive spent over 5000$ in the last 2 year in computer parts and i just want to stop that for at least 2 years but its hard lol if it be my decision i would go for a Q9650 but 385.00$ and i could get an i7 for cheaper than that its killing me !!

Comment

Spend! Spend! Spend!

Not my money anyway.

Comment

not sure about that... while q6600 is an easy overclocker, the guy says he won't overclock. and does BC2 really tax all the cores like how GTA4 would?

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
                        not sure about that... while q6600 is an easy overclocker, the guy says he won't overclock. and does BC2 really tax all the cores like how GTA4 would?
                        Yes.

Comment

Yeah it does tax the cores. Granted it was in the beta and maybe the patches and updated client will change that, but I dont think its going to that much.

Samchoc, what you can do is start out with the higher MHz proc and use it for a while. Get your FPS figured out and play with all your settings and the WRITE THEM DOWN and in a month, put in the quad core and set it up again and see if you notice anything.

I still think the quad core is the way to go just because its 4 instead of 2 working on everything.

Crunch
                          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Thanks for the advise I am debating right now. I can buy a Q9550 for 252$ shipping included on ebay :nod:
                            now at 2.83Ghz quadcore 12mb cache i cant go wrong lol

I wish i could find another 4870x2 for cheap it would be killer in my rig hehehe

Thanks again !!

(Damn Steam !! Still waiting for the freggin download to be ready)

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                              I still think the quad core is the way to go just because its 4 instead of 2 working on everything.

Crunch
                              I totally agree had a dual core E6750 in my rig. Enter the Q6600 (second hand) and everything became very smooth and my frame rates doubled (graphics card gtx 260 OCX).

Comment

Working...
                              X