No Battlefield 3 in 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Battlefield 3 in 2011

Makes me wonder if it's coming at all...

Re: No Battlefield 3 in 2011

To be clear, its only a list of releases through March 2011 - not beyond

I'm not suggesting that BF3 will be released in 2011 or ever for that matter.

Its unlikely the PC will ever be the primary target platform for a Battlefield series. Are console gamers clamoring for BF3? I don't seet that - I dont think they really care.

The gamedevelopment strategy seems to be; develop a multitude of similar titles using the same core engine , rather than one big blockbuster . This way they can get $49 from us - several times over

I think any analysis of development investment / return on BF3 is questionable -

"In sum, PC, console, and portable software earned $10.5 billion in 2009, down 11 percent from the $11.7 billion brought in during 2008. Both portable and console software sales slid 10 percent on the year. On its own, US PC software sales fell 23 percent to $538 million. Notably, the NPD Group does not track software distributed through non-brick-and-mortar retail channels such as digital distribution"

Comment

BF3 imo has always been on the cards as a 2012 release as a PC exclusive simply because this is the time just before the new generation of consoles are set to come in, in which case no developer will develop a game for an old console.

Comment

Think im going back to 1942 mods or bf2 mods!,sick of being consolized or nurfed.

Comment

i'll keep playing my 2142 all the way!

Comment

Originally posted by [3SA]D|2Lt.Obi

"In sum, PC, console, and portable software earned $10.5 billion in 2009, down 11 percent from the $11.7 billion brought in during 2008. Both portable and console software sales slid 10 percent on the year. On its own, US PC software sales fell 23 percent to $538 million. Notably, the NPD Group does not track software distributed through non-brick-and-mortar retail channels such as digital distribution"
            That's completely useless data then. Steam has especially proven to have been an extremely successful option for Valve. I'm sure the numbers would be significantly different if all digital distribution sources were listed too.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_
              That's completely useless data then. Steam has especially proven to have been an extremely successful option for Valve. I'm sure the numbers would be significantly different if all digital distribution sources were listed too.

I hope youre right as I'm a PC gamer first
              But we seem to be the ugly step sister these days

Comment

Yup, that's a decline in retail software sales. All while digital distribution have skyrocketed.

I wouldn't worry about the PC platform going anywhere soon, less exclusives perhaps but not more than that.

Oh and btw, the link in the OP only mentions releases until March 2011, which is only a year from now. BF3 have plenty of time to come in 2011, and if not, 2012.

Comment

I stand by my prediction.

Originally posted by ThatEvilGuy
                  Heroes is coming out in 2009, Bad Company in early 2010.

Now, new consoles are supposed to come out somewhere in 2012 and I doubt DICE is going to release another Bad Company for current consoles, 360 is already on it's limits, even in BC2 they really aren't advertising anything new, more like tweaks, here and there.

So between 2012 and 2010, there is 2011 where they have time to release a PC exclusive Battlefield 3.

So in two years, we'll have our game IMO.

Comment

Just something I wanted to point out before you jump into conclusions.
                    FY2011 is actually Q2(2010)-Q1(2011). That means bf3 could be scheduled for FY 2012. FY2012 starts in April 2011 and ends 30th March 2012.
                    I am pretty sure BF3 will be released in 2011.

Comment

There's also the fact that DICE hasn't yet announced the game to take into account. Same goes for Mirrors Edge 2.

What I'm saying is that there's quite a good chance that this isn't a complete list.

Comment

Working...
                      X