Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to be effective in the Apache

Pilot:

THE VERY FIRST AND ONLY KEY YOU PRESS AT START IS THE W KEY. NOTHING ELSE. This guarantees you that you'll be in the air and not crash into the ground.

Do not fly directly into the firefights. You are just asking to be shot down by ZSU-23, .50 caliber machine guns on the T-90 and Vodnik, and countless number of AT rockets and homing darts.

Fly near the edge of the map and high altitude such that unless the enemy went through a course of projectile ballistics & physics and geometry, they will have a very hard time hitting you. By being far away, enemy fire is subject to a long travel time and drop under gravity. Furthermore, projectiles under automatic fire disperses like a cone.

Once you're at the edge of the map, move left or right steadily such that the enemy cannot stick you with the homing dart or hit you with the UAV.

If you hear a loud beeping noise, it means a rocket is coming straight at you. Don't think. PRESS W + A + LEFT ARROW KEY or W + D + RIGHT ARROW KEY. This will almost guarantee you to dodge the rockets, even the ones that are guided.

Whenever possible, spam and fire your rockets where your enemy could be. Priority should be vehicles, but don't sacrifice too much altitude or distance to increase your accuracy. SURVIVAL IS YOUR MAIN JOB. LET THE CO-PILOT DO THE KILLING.

Bored doing this? Then land it and get out and berate yourself for your selfishness.

Co-pilot:

You just spam that 25mm gun. Just keep firing it. You have infinite ammo. Why the hell are you trying to conserve your fire? Don't see an enemy? Well let that cannon find it for you. Keep firing that thing everywhere. Fire that thing on anything that's moving. Don't see the enemy? Just fire. Even if they're your teammates. Don't aim. You're firing unholy number of rounds per burst. You can't miss even if you try to miss. Still don't see the enemy? Fire where the Russians spawn, don't give a damn if you can't see what you're killing. You're killing. Don't see the enemy? Just fire. You notice someone set us up the bomb at M-COM stations? Then fire on that station. None of the buildings at those points collapse. Your fire is cover fire to your teammates and hell fire to your enemies. Don't see the enemy? Just fire! You see those cute little yellow tracers hitting the chopper or trying? You should right back. They have 12.7mm machine guns and 23 mm burst cannon that fires maybe 6 rounds per burst. You have a cannon that fires probably 30 rounds of 25mm per burst. Don't be scared. Just FIRE. Is your pilot being an *** by hiding behind a hill or building to shield from fire? That's probably because you're not doing your job. Don't worry, JUST FIRE at whatever's causing those yellow tracers to come at you. You see a UAV in front of you? That's your dinner. JUST FIRE

Your motto is: "When in doubt, JUST FIRE"

I'm saying this because often pilots usually fire these gunships right into the front to be met with huge amounts of enemy fire. I'm saying this because often co-pilots want to see targets first before they fire. No. That is not how the Apache is to be effective. The Apache must be blind to killing. It must be that speck in the air that's the bane to the entire 16 member Russian force. It must be like the sun: seemingly small compared to its awesome power. In fact, it's best the sun's behind your tail or above you as then the SUN'S BLOOM ACTUALLY BLINDS YOUR ENEMY.

Re: How to be effective in the Apache

Good tips, but what is the Russian counter-part in this game? Is it the Hind or the Havoc?

Comment

is flying that easy?

I'm still scared of piloting from previous BF games....

Comment

Originally posted by S0VIET
        Good tips, but what is the Russian counter-part in this game? Is it the Hind or the Havoc?
        Both

Comment

Oh one of the many joys of a new Battlefield game is the herds of people determined they are awesome pilots only to crash into the warehouse on take off.

Comment

well that's mostly due to the bugs with flying at the moment. Though it seems people have worked around the issues for the most part, and actually last night people didn't rush for the chopper, they actually would only fly if they knew what they were doing, at least on the server I was on.

Comment

I inverted my controls and I think that the helo is much easier to fly in BC2 than it is in BF2. Once again, the flying machines dominate the Battlefield. We need shoulder fired Stingers. The Helo is a bloody great Abrams in the sky, only with more firepower and more agile.

Comment

But then again, the rockets from the chopper aren't insta kills for armor, and a short period of time of concentrated fire power can down them so they aren't terribly overpowered.

If they were any more invulnerable then it would be an issue; when you are pubbing you know you can't really count on your fellow team mates to focus on the obvious threat, but clan organized squads can dedicate to pin down the choppers.

Comment

I don't mind the new helicopter but if you just get to max altitude the enemy has a real hard time taking you down due to the max angle they can lift their gun at, while the heli gunner can just FIRE (lol) and damage armour and everything else :/

Comment

But at that distance he can't use the rockets as effectively; and since bullets take time to hit, infantry can run ahead of them.

Comment

your not going to see to many good pilots until the retail when joystick mapping is working correctly. I bet after that people are going to get very good very fast.

Comment

flying has been consolized. if you let go of everything you autopilot to a safe hover.

Comment

Sometimes I could cry out loud because of the apache, or more because of the bradley/russian rubbish tank not focusing on it.

Comment

Originally posted by troybob
                            flying has been consolized. if you let go of everything you autopilot to a safe hover.
                            But if you let go you are not moving, if you are not moving you are stationary and vulnerable.

Please stop using consolized as a synonim of bad and dumbed down because the only two genres that PC does better, and that's because of hardware /input devices are FPS and RTS.

All the other gaming genres are better and more difficult on consoles.

I think the auto level hover is a good tool to teach noobies to pilot. And people still manage to crash the chopper with that thing on.

Comment

Working...
                            X