Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who hasn't played this game in a while and misses it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who hasn't played this game in a while and misses it?

My gaming rig died 1 1/2 years ago and I haven't played BF2 since then and probably longer. I have fond memories of this game and it's probably the most enjoyable game I've ever played. I still have urges to play it all the time, but instead i'm stuck with playing the PS3. I guess you could say that i'm still having withdrawals every now and then.

Re: Who hasn't played this game in a while and misses it?

My gaming rig psu died a few weeks ago and I am having to play it on my latop if I want to play but it still isn't the same to me playing the game on a laptop. And like you I have had to play games online on my PS3.

Comment

I haven't played it in months and I miss certain aspects about it. I love the maps, and the sound of the guns and the vehicles, and have fond memories of this game before it was, well, what it's become. What I don't miss about it is the gameplay, which is arse now. Horrible hitreg, too many IO Kark servers, bad hitreg, insta-death artillery strikes, crappy hitreg, overpowered medic class, worst hitreg ever. I feel like I'm forgetting something...

It's pretty much the reason I've yet to reinstall either this or BF2142 after having done a fresh install of Win7. As much as I miss aspects of the game, the core gameplay is just far too frustrating to make up for whatever fun I get out of playing it. The gameplay in the BC2 beta, right now, is far superior and a more enjoyable experience overall, so I have no reason to reinstall either of them. The beta will take care of my BF fix until March.

Comment

Reinstalled, patched to 1.50. entered Kubra dam, my favorite map...

And then I recalled why I left in the first place: inmediatly after spawning I got a bomb on my head with a name on it; several times in a row, tried to get to an AA turret, got sniped by the plane or just bombed again; then went back to the madness that is IO Karkand 24/7 and finally.... I just left the game and decided to keep the memories.
        BF2142 is a lot more fun, always was better than BF2, but the later patches that didn't fix some of the glaring bugs ruined the experience overall, it's not a bad game.

I have more fond memories of 2142 than BF2; tough I can't and won't deny, while BF2 was the only thing out there, it was very fun and the only thing that kept it from being a better experience was the inexistent ability to counter planes; when the maps are infantry only or just armor it's a bit more balanced.

Definetively don't miss it, tough I remember it fondly.

Comment

i hear ya BF2 is a much more unforgiving game and can get very punishing at times. mostly with the air power being so unbalanced. now if they only fix 2142...

Comment

I hadn't played since fall 2007. In December of 2008, I picked up 2142 and have been playing it exclusively since then.

But with 2142's server lag problems of late, I thought I'd reinstall BF2 and revisit modern warfare in anticipation of BC's release next month.

It has been an interesting week. While I really like what that last patch did for the game and it has certainly been great rediscovering an old friend, I have also been reminded of why I stopped playing back in 2007. I'm also convinced that 2142 attracted a more mature player and I think I got spoiled a bit.

It has been fun though getting to play some of my favorite maps again - especially the expansion packs which got a new lease on life with the new patch. Now if only there were more SF servers that weren't 24/7 Warlord and Ghost Town.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfAlmighty
              What I don't miss about it is the gameplay, which is arse now. Horrible hitreg, too many IO Kark servers, bad hitreg, insta-death artillery strikes, crappy hitreg, overpowered medic class, worst hitreg ever..
              That particular point has been true since 1.0 IMO.

Comment

Can't remember the last time I played. I am going to get back into it tonight. I got it running on win7 and now have it running on my sons vista machine. I am now trying to remember how I set up all of my keys. Finally, after many years of wanting to play bf2 with my son it looks like we are going to be able to start tonight.

Comment

Still play PR mod on a daily basis.

Comment

Well, we played some Wake until the lag hit. My boy was doing alright flying but then ran into a series of T/K's so he stopped flying. Then went into Warlord and had a lot of fun. Then I went into my favorite map Ghost Town. I could play that thing all night but my daughter needed help with homework and thought that was probably more important then playing BFSF. Anyways, just ranting here about how good it felt to play again and especially squadding up with my son. Can't wait until the next battle.
                    Late

Comment

If I didnt have to worry about getting killed by aircraft every 30 seconds, Id still be playing it. I don't care for IO, as the hitreg simply isn't good enough for it to be a pleasant experience.

Comment

Played last night was totally owned. My KDR was about 1-4. Funny thing is I still had loads of fun.
                        Late

Comment

Originally posted by [10MD]F|1LT.Juno
                          If I didnt have to worry about getting killed by aircraft every 30 seconds, Id still be playing it. I don't care for IO, as the hitreg simply isn't good enough for it to be a pleasant experience.
                          i feel the same way as juno.
                          as scary as that sounds. :laugh:

Comment

Heh, one of the main reasons I will still play is to shoot jets out of the sky with a tank, but yeah I agree that jets were too much.

Comment

I don't think you guys are giving the game enough credit, and are blaming things that are not to blame. The hitreg is supposed to be that way.

For instance, take Counter Strike (the most recognized and fundamentally accredited FPS): even with an AK, point blank, if you just unload your clip, you will not kill the enemy standing right in front of you. This is because the game rewards accurate and skillful aim. It is the exact same in BF2. Once you learn that it takes a little patience, and that you have to work with the hitreg/gameplay system instead of getting frustrated with it, the experience turns out to be a lot better.

Ever notice that the crosshairs expand when you walk, so as to tell you that your aim will be inaccurate if you shoot? It's supposed to be like that....

On the contrary, I am convinced that all these new MW games coming out on consoles and such water the skill level down, so as to make it easier for new players to come into the game, which in turn gives EA or whatever marketing company it happens to be more money. It is simply too easy to kill people in the new games.

In the case of unbalanced air power and artillery, i'll admit that jets/commanders have hegemonic weapons, but with the right set of tools, executed properly, you can pretty easily defeat and discourage the people hiding behind the weapons. Know where not to be in a game. Get in and get out. Learn to kill the medics that are "all powerful".

I really hope they don't make BF3 as easy to gain skill in as these new modern warfare games

Comment

Working...
                              X