X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full PC Beta Details

Found here: http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/batt...-goodness.aspx

When's the Beta

First, let's start by making the official time and date of the Beta the start of this Blog in what will be and EPIC moment in DICE's PC History! The PC Beta begins this Thursday, January 28th at approximately 6pm CET, 12pm EST, and 9am PST time!!!!!!! :-D

Where to Get It

The Client will be downloadable from server partner websites and Steam starting at the above listed time at a file size of 1.5GB. Here's a hyper-link reminder http://bit.ly/4GJk2a on which retailers will provide PC Beta access through pre-ordering.

Why we're Having a Beta

The Beta is happening for many reasons, like testing the infrastructure, hosting stability, and gameplay tuning (FOV, Weapon Balance, etc...) that no amount of internal testing could provide better than real world exposure. This is means there will also be times of choppiness, lag, disconnects, CTDs or other issues a Beta version of any MP game would have. We'll have feedback methods similar to the PS3 Beta as well to ensure your input is gathered and heard.

Advanced warning: there will be things updated in the final game, like a Server browser with more functions, optimizations, performance tweaks, and learning's from the Beta.

This truly is a Beta, so remember that all feedback is appreciated and wanted! :-)

Hosting the Beta

Renting of Beta servers will not be possible, but we'll work closely with all our RSPs* to ensure there is always enough capacity for each individual regions.

Where to Download the Beta

We'll distribute with many partners as possible to ensure the fastest DLs no matter your location around the world. Current know locations and methods will be EADM, Steam, Torrents (only get this from legit sources, i.e. an RSP*), and all our RSP's.

Getting Started In the Beta
    STEP 1: Make sure you have at least 5GB free on your HDD and then download and Install BFBC2! :-D
    STEP 2: Once installation is completed (install size will be around 1.5GB) start the client and click the login button. You will then be prompted to sign in with your EA Account. If you don't have an EA Account you'll be able to create one in the same screen. (You may also create your EA Account in advance HERE)
    STEP 3: Enter the unique PC Beta Code during the log in process to authenticate your participation in the Beta.
    Step 4: Create your Soldier name (this will lock that name to your EA account for retail if you want to keep it).

COPY PROTECTION SECTION.

Found here: http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/batt...rotection.aspx

10 Activations
    DVD NOT REQUIRED!
    Activations refunded upon uninstall.

Hi all!

I'm the lead programmer on the PC version. You have asked for more technical information on the PC version, and the blog about our audio system was very appreciated, so here's another one... this time about a more sombre subject: Copy Protection.

Introduction

BFBC2 PC uses SecuROM as its copy protection mechanism. SecuROM comes in many shapes and forms. I will describe the specific version that is being used in BFBC2 PC.

SecuROM in general

The version which we use is a wrapper around the main game executable. It does everything it can by running as a “normal” program; it does not install any sort of kernel software.

What this means is:

* No software is permanently installed on your machine.
    * SecuROM is ONLY running when the game is running
    * When you uninstall the game, you will also uninstall the SecuROM software.

SecuROM and the Closed Beta

The main game executable (BFBC2Game.exe) of the Closed Beta will be wrapped with SecuROM. There is only one reason for this: to make it difficult to hack the Closed Beta client to run the final game.
    SecuROM is configured to be passive. All it does, is make it more difficult to modify the game client.

When the Closed Beta is uninstalled, all traces of the game and SecuROM will be removed from your machine.

SecuROM and the final game

The final game will also use SecuROM. The main game executable (BFBC2Game.exe) will be wrapped with SecuROM. Some support files in the game’s installation directory also belong to SecuROM.

When you install or start the game, you will be required to authenticate the copy of the game. That is how you prove that the installation of the game you are running is legit.
    You can do that in two ways: by putting the original DVD in the drive, or by going online once. If you bought the game on disc, you get to choose; if you have purchased it digitally, your only option is going online.

Authentication by DVD

You can authenticate by putting the DVD in the drive.

If you choose this method, you must have the DVD available every time you want to play. With this method, SecuROM will not go online at all. You can then play the single-player campaign 100% offline.

Authentication by going online

You can also choose to authenticate by going online once.

If so, this happens the first time that you start the actual game. You will be asked for permission. If you allow it, SecuROM will talk to a master server, which counts on how many computers your serial key is currently in use.
    When the installation has been authenticated online once, SecuROM will no longer go online. You can then play the single-player campaign 100% offline, without needing the DVD.

You can have the game authenticated and play it on up to 10 machines at the same time.
    One authentication is valid for 10,000 days. Thus, if you authenticated once on launch day - March 2nd, 2010 – that authentication will be valid until July 18th, 2037.

Online authentication … what about de-authentication?

You can de-authenticate the game. De-authentication means to return one authentication to the “pool” of available activations (which started with 10 available).

You do it one of two ways:

1. In the Games Explorer in Vista: right-click on the game’s Icon and select “Deauthorize this machine”
    2. Uninstall the game; uninstallation will automatically invoke the de-authentication process.

After de-authentication, you are told how many authentications are now in the “pool”.

SecuROM needs to go online to de-authenticate.

Online authentication, and modifying hardware

If you have authenticated the game, but then changed a lot of hardware in your machine, then SecuROM may deem that your current authentication will no longer do.

If that happens, do this:

1. Uninstall the game. That will return the old authentication to the “pool”.
    2. Install the game again. The next time you start the game, you will get a new authentication.

You need to change a lot of hardware for this to happen. Just changing the processor or graphics card is not enough to make the authentication obsolete.

If you run out of activations – perhaps because your PC breaks unexpectedly, several times – then contact EA’s technical support to get an extra authentication added to your “pool”.

Re: Full PC Beta Details

Now the question is will Steam version have ****tyRom. :|

Comment

Securerom is no where near as bad as it was a long time ago. After they got sued, and sued bad for the stuff they were using, they had to hack it apart. This version is much more forgiving and friendly, at least as copy protection can get.

ALL versions will come with the copy protection.

Comment

I don't care if securom isn't as bad as it used to be, all it still does is hurt(possibly) paying customer, not hacker. The game will be cracked 100% certainty; for single player anyway. And I bought it on steam as i think steam is good enough drm.

Anyone know how to cancel steam per-orders?

Comment

Originally posted by L-iNC
          Anyone know how to cancel steam per-orders?
          You're pretty much screwed there, Steam doesn't do refunds.

That said you're barely going to notice securom so if you look forward to the game you shouldn't really care too much.

Comment

I boycott securom games out of principle. If steam doesn't refund then i suppose i will play this, else i find something else to do.

Comment

I want to know what happens if my computer crashes and I need to reinstall the OS. How does SecureROM know that I have lost the ability to uninstall that particular copy? If SecureROM doesn't know, then I could potentially lose access to the game that I paid for over time (I seem to have bad luck with hardware).

Does Steam have these unnecessary restrictions? I hope not. *Sigh*

DICE, you're one mis-step away from repeating the failure that is otherwise known as MW2. Don't screw us over.

Comment

this is going to cost some stars on amazon.com reviews

Comment

I bet they are using SecuROM because, EA signed a stupid contract with SecuROM, and EA told DICE to use it.

Comment

ALL PC Beta versions AND final release will have SecuROM.

Crunch
                    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Working...
                    X