Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VISTA Crash to Desktop (Application BF2.exe locked the primary surface)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VISTA Crash to Desktop (Application BF2.exe locked the primary surface)

Hi there all. This is my first post as a well seasoned BF2 player - mainly thru sheer frustration that I only seem to be able to play for 10 mins at a time before being dumped back to desktop.

In short I'm running the same top-end games rig based upon VISTA ULTIMATE X64 without change for about 18 months with no problems, ensuring that all the latest fixes have been applied including BF2, PB, NVIDIA, Vista etc.

Basic rig summary is:
    Processor = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 965 @ 3.20GHz (8 CPUs) 3.2GHz
    Memory = 12GB
    GPU = 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 (4GB memory)
    DirectX = v11

I'm also running BF2 at 60Hz.

I've trawled the web and numerous forums and although I can find plenty of players a similar problem, none of them have come up with the answer yet - so I'd be well impressed if any of you guys can problem solve this one. The problem is as follows:

1. I launch BF2 in the std manner (i.e. from shortcut) using XPSP2 mode with Run as Admin.
    2. I've also used "Disable Themes" and "Disable Desktop Composotion" in the Compatibility tab of the shortcut
    4. Connect and play normally with no problems for about 10 mins and the, bang, there's the Vista deskop. No warning, no error messages, no BF2.exe running - nothing.

There seemed to be talk about UAC so I've disabled that - but this made no difference. I've also tried different screen resolutions and this made no difference.

HOWEVER .... after thinking, bugger it, I'll try and work this out myself, I discovered in Event Viewer->Window Logs->System a consistent error ("Information") message being written to this log everytime BF2 crashed, namely:

"Application BF2.exe locked the primary surface x time(s)" - where x seems to vary between 4-6 that I've observed.

Having checked around various sites I eventually found reference within MS TechNet to this message but not in a BF2 context - it points to Aero (being Vista's desktop management function) and in particular to some relationship to DirectX memory (i.e. Vista trying to maintain the desktop whilst I'm playing BF2). I've subsequently disabled this Aero function by selecting Vista Basic as my Desktop Appearance - but again crashing after 10 mins with the same error messages being written to the Event Viewer.

BF2 is now un-playable which is the first time in about 6 years.

So, any of you hardened BF grunts out there have any idea what I should try next (other than get rid of Vista) cos I'm even contemplating playing COD :dead:

HELP!!!

Cheers

Re: VISTA Crash to Desktop (Application BF2.exe locked the primary surface)

Have you tried disabling the Pagefile since you wont need it with 12gb ram.

Theres was another thread about this some years ago perhaps it might also show some insight, here

Other than that Im no help I havent played BF2 in a long time nor using Vista (found it dreadful and resorted back to XP).

GL though.

Comment

Anyone else out there have any views?

The link provided by Scinto does seem to be the same problem although as ever no one has a clue how to fix it !!

You'll go straight to the top of my Xmas list if you can work this one out.

Comment

More threads;

3 : Says it wont work for 1.5 but there might be a post in the thread with help.

From what I've seen from the follow on threads that are linked it seems to be a popular problem with Vista 64bit.

Comment

Working...
        X