On the topic of weapons...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the topic of weapons...

Now that there's an increased variety in loadout options, what are your preferred tier 1 and tier 2 weapons?

I find that shotguns are much less useful this time around, so I typically try to find the silenced SMG, then later the M4 (or is it M16?). I still think duelies are the best secondary, though if I do pick melee the machete or baseball bat seem to have the best combination of speed and hit radius.

What are your thoughts on the weapons (and items) of L4D2?

Re: On the topic of weapons...

I like the pump shotguns the most as a tier one weapon. Lots of power, not the best choice for common infected but it has a lot of stopping power against SI, with some good aim you can shoot hunters out of the air with one shot. I usually use the baseball bat with it when there's too many common infected around and I need to clear some space.

Later on I'll usually go for the M16, or the autoshotty... but the hunting rifle is a lot of fun. I usually prioritise adrenaline over pills as I practically only use it when I need to cross an area fast.

I like the variety of weapons better than in L4D1, even if some are a bit powerful (chainsaw is ridiculous). And there's way too many medkits and defibs around in versus. But otherwise I love the game

Comment

There is nothing more satisfying (INCLUDING CHAINSAW) than blowing a zombie's head off with a shotgun. So, I use that.

Comment

I really enjoy the variety of combinations you can create with all the weapons. For a sidearm I usually prefer dual-pistols, just because of the sheer amount of ammo you can hold at one time (although, admittedly, the magnum is fun too).

When using dual-pistols, I usually stick with a pump shotgun as a first tier weapon, and combat shotgun as a second tier. The combat shotgun has a slightly smaller spread than the auto-shotgun. It makes it more effective against special effective (I think it's the best weapon to use again the tank, especially with special ammo) and at a mid-range.

The dual pistols, though, really balance out the shotgun, allowing you to fight at all ranges effectively. If I'm using a SMG or another tier 2 weapon, I try to stick with a melee weapon for the secondary, giving me better defense for close quarters combat. My favorite melee, of course, is the chainsaw. I think it's a bit overpowered (you can take down a tank or witch almost instantly on normal), but I hope they don't nerf it in the future, although I wouldn't mind if they lowered the gas tank size a bit.

The grenade launcher, the few times I have found it, has proven to be a very effective weapon when used in conjunction with good teamwork. It's useless on your own, especially since it's awfully difficult to defend yourself. If you have a bunch of good teammates, though, it works wonderfully for clearing out large groups of zombies that you might come across before they rush at you. Makes the level go much more smoothly.

Comment

Yea grenade launcher is really only useful when you are already pretty healthy and everyone are alive. It's powerful as hell but close to worthless in many situations, but it works great as a compliment to normal weapons... it's just easy to find yourself overwhelmed with it.

Comment

I prefer precision weapons over the shotguns, and find the melee weapons really useful, but you have to make sure you always have primary ammo and keep it reloaded

combat sniper ofc is a lovely gun, otherwise the combat rifle, the burst fire is really useful and it has good accuracy when moving, not to mention the huge clip

The AK is ok but you cant really run and gun with it, and I will use the combat shotgun in those situations where you are camping, like a finale

Played a versus match the other day and one of the opposition had the extra guns the germans got (as compensation for the censored game) the combat knife is funny but you also get the Krieg Commando from CS which was really nice

Silenced SMG ftw though for Tier 1, still like the m16 a lot as well

Comment

Originally posted by MrChris_CJ
              The AK is ok but you cant really run and gun with it,
              the AK is great to run and gun with if you have a laser sight

Comment

Originally posted by Sike
                the AK is great to run and gun with if you have a laser sight
                :nod:

Comment

I don't really find the use of having two auto shot guns that is almost identical in all ways except for looks.

Comment

The Spas has a slightly tighter spread, while the original autoshottie has more damaging pellets.

Not to mention the Spas makes a cooler firing sound.

Comment

I didn't even know although I did expect there was something either in the bullet spread like you said or speed.
                      -I also think they need more unique melee weapons like the chainsaw and not 5 other regular slashing melee.

Comment

Even the melee weapons have different swing arcs and speed if I'm not mistaken. I don't remember them all, but the machete & bat were the two best overall, and the guitar was the least effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Salad Snake
                          Even the melee weapons have different swing arcs and speed if I'm not mistaken. I don't remember them all, but the machete & bat were the two best overall, and the guitar was the least effective.
                          Yeah but they were all using the same animation and same technique you know what I'm trying to say?

Comment

All of the melee weapons have different swing speeds and "swing spread".

Swing spread is a bad word for it, it's basically how far from the center of your crosshair you can be to still get a hit. For example the tonfa swings in a diagonal so it's bad against common infected but swings the fastest of any melee weapon so it's great again SI.

Ingame nick: First AidsShort informative video about instant killing chargers as they are charging. Including how I aim and how I time etc. This is not too h...

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
                              All of the melee weapons have different swing speeds and "swing spread".

Swing spread is a bad word for it, it's basically how far from the center of your crosshair you can be to still get a hit. For example the tonfa swings in a diagonal so it's bad against common infected but swings the fastest of any melee weapon so it's great again SI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgi3MT_gyA
                              I understand but they all use the same mechanics... a regular swing. Do they really need 6 melee weapons that hit the same but with different speed or direction slash? Now imagine if the chainsaw was picked up and swung like the other regular melee weapons but swung slower that would suck sp they made the mechanic different... see what I mean now.
                              -We should trade some useless melee weapons for things like a fire extinguisher, some sort of throat jabber etc....

Comment

Working...
                              X