Splinter Cell: Conviction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splinter Cell: Conviction

Who here is planning on picking up the upcoming Splinter Cell title, or better yet, who has pre-ordered it? I was looking forward to it up until when I did some research and realized that it is nothing like Splinter Cell.

For those who haven't seen one of the latest videos, check it out here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kVSFCFItNM[/media]

I could play it and possibly appreciate it if it was renamed to "Taken" or something along those lines, but basically the entire foundation that the series was built upon has been torn down and rebuilt. What is happening to games these days?

Re: Splinter Cell: Conviction

I shall be buying this after i see a review or two, I have played chaos theory and double agent and they were great, one of the best SP games out. I like the new look to it as DA was a bit fiddly with the graphics.
    Are the creators of this the same as chaos theory? that was the best Splinter Cell game.

Comment

Originally posted by RYKUU
      I shall be buying this after i see a review or two, I have played chaos theory and double agent and they were great, one of the best SP games out. I like the new look to it as DA was a bit fiddly with the graphics.
      Are the creators of this the same as chaos theory? that was the best Splinter Cell game.
      I believe the creative director is not the same person who worked on earlier SC titles - same studio, but different people/directors. Chaos Theory is definitely the best of the series (actually replaying it this week!) but this game seems to be redefining stealth as "killing without being seen" whereas previous titles encouraged "completing objectives with as few kills/KO's as possible."

Also, some people on the Ubisoft forums mentioned that they got their hands on a recently published magazine revealing the multiplayer. From what I've read, it appears to have modes that require players to eliminate all enemy targets, a last stand mode (fight off waves of enemies), and a stealth mode - although there were few details on that mode.

I'm fine with the game having a breath of fresh air, but to me it seems as though they've taken that direction to the extreme, creating a game that goes against the fundamental gameplay ideas of previous titles. For example, in previous titles it was possible to "ghost" levels - play them entirely undetected without touching a single guard, and this appears to be impossible in the new game from what we've been told.

Comment

You are right, this game is more Assassins Creed then original SP. I don't know how I will take to this new aspect. I normally did like to kill all the guards and feel like a "predator", swiftly and silently but this seems to be very flighty and not so stealthy.

Splinter Cell is about choices, whether to kill all the guards or slip through. Chaos theory attempted the idea of "assault" but through experience, it was pretty much pointless as you would still be killed very easily. I take that is what they are trying to do here. I am hoping however they do have restraint and not make every kill a little cut-scene, this would become boring and take you out of the action of the game.

Comment

Well, like I said I could enjoy the game's new style if it wasn't a Splinter Cell title. Splinter Cell implies stealth, not an action game with the ability to go through the game using half-baked, unoriginal stealth tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodakk
            Well, like I said I could enjoy the game's new style if it wasn't a Splinter Cell title. Splinter Cell implies stealth, not an action game with the ability to go through the game using half-baked, unoriginal stealth tactics.
            Yeah, it isn't a bad idea combining stealth and combat like this but you don't play Splinter Cell to fight, you play it to sneak. Maybe the developers wanted to "experiment".

Comment

I was immediately disappointed and disgusted by the first videos I saw of the game, months ago. Last Tom Clancy game gone down the drain to please XBOX teenagers.

Comment

I saw couple of videos it looks nothing like the previous versions. they have changed it totally I guess.
                I wont get it any how.

Comment

I hope the soundtrack will be as good as CT`s was.

Comment

Originally posted by L3adcannon
                    I hope the soundtrack will be as good as CT`s was.
                    Composed by Amon Tobin? Those were some really nice tracks. I doubt hes going to work on this one as its away different game now.

Comment

Working...
                    X