X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam is killin' me...

WTF

Re: Steam is killin' me...

I had that happen to me the other day. I just let it finish syncing and everything was back to normal and haven't had it happen since.

Comment

I had that once, i just went to play and it was working.

Does steam save your MW2 stats?

Comment

Originally posted by RYKUU
        I had that once, i just went to play and it was working.

Does steam save your MW2 stats?
        Yes, only your mp progress though, not your settings or SP/Spec ops progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodakk
          Yes, only your mp progress though, not your settings or SP/Spec ops progress.
          phew that is good, so if you were to lose your steam you would just need to re-install MW2 and your stats would still be there?

Comment

Yes, your stats would be, but all your SP progress, your config data, and spec ops progress would be lost. You can back that stuff up, but steam won't do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodakk
              Yes, your stats would be, but all your SP progress, your config data, and spec ops progress would be lost. You can back that stuff up, but steam won't do it for you.
              Who cares about SP .
              Well maybe that's what the "syncing" is for, it would make sense.

Comment

Its important to understand that MW2 does not have a central storage of stats, it just stores a copy of your local data, which is the master.

So there is alway the risk of your data being corrupted AND copied over to steam.

Hmm, I think I will go make a manual backup right now.

Comment

I had a look at the script by kyros over at http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1041390 , but I couldnt get it to work so I had to do some rewriting.
                  The basic copy and steamlaunch code is the same as in the original.

The idea is that you launch MW2 through this script, so you automatically get a backup each time you start the game.
                  Its proably a good idea to make the backupfolder compressed, there is a lot of data

Note that I havent tried to replace my stats with the backup.

Code:
                  [COLOR="blue"]::If you lose your settings, just copy the files back to the "c:\program files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2\players" folder and overwrite the "broken" ones.[/COLOR]
                  @ECHO OFF

[COLOR="blue"]::Backup to backup directory

::create temp directory[/COLOR]
                  cd "D:\Backup\MW2"
                  d:
                  MD Profile
                  CD Profile

[COLOR="blue"]::Copy from steam directory, needs to fit your own steam install[/COLOR]
                  xcopy "D:\XP-Spil Programmer\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2\players" /c /e /i /r /y

[COLOR="blue"]::Renames temp directory with timestamp[/COLOR]
                  cd..
                  Ren Profile Profile__%date%_%TIME:~0,2%_%TIME:~3,2%_%TIME:~6,2%

[COLOR="blue"]::launch MW2 through steam. Path needs to match your own install[/COLOR]
                  cd "D:\XP-Spil Programmer\Steam\"

start steam.exe -applaunch 10190

exit

Comment

OMG, thats just a DOS batch file.

I thought there was something more they were doing. Thats not saving it off of your PC at all.

Has anyone loaded MW2 from another computer and get their stats?

Crunch
                    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                      OMG, thats just a DOS batch file.

I thought there was something more they were doing. Thats not saving it off of your PC at all.

Has anyone loaded MW2 from another computer and get their stats?

Crunch
                      That script is NOT the one backing up to the steam cloud, it is user created.
                      Steam replicateds you local data to the cloud, but there is still a risk so its better to have a local backup too.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
                        That script is NOT the one backing up to the steam cloud, it is user created.
                        Steam replicateds you local data to the cloud, but there is still a risk so its better to have a local backup too.
                        Whewww, thats better

Im glad I just misunderstood the post

Crunch
                        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Hmm, I expected the players folder to be a little bigger...
                          1.44MB? I guess it's just configs and mpdata, as I haven't played more than the first level of the single player campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
                            Hmm, I expected the players folder to be a little bigger...
                            1.44MB? I guess it's just configs and mpdata, as I haven't played more than the first level of the single player campaign.
                            I am not near my gaming PC now, but I think my players folder are much larger. It makes sense that the SP saves take up most of the space, they could probably be excluded from the backup.
                            Just back them up manually once you have finished with SP.

Comment

Working...
                            X