IW.net vs. New MP Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IW.net vs. New MP Players

402 preached the benefits of using IW.net. The system would eliminate the need for players and communities to purchase servers, it would allow IW to have much better control over the players, and it would be easier for new players to navigate the menu and find the right game for them.

Now, while the community can debate on whether or not they agree with the implementation of the system, one thing is certain - and that is the fact that we are forced to use the system. So, shouldn't we get the most out of it as possible? I have one core complaint about the system - besides my desire for map sorting features - and that is the relationship between new users and gametypes.

Well, building off of what 402 mentioned - that the system would make it easier for the casual community - shouldn't the system place new, unfamiliar users in easier, less complicated gametypes? Now, while this may sound silly, you may have also encountered the scenarios I'm about to mention. There are countless times where I'm playing headquarters, search and destroy, or similar gametypes and many players simply ignore the objective. I've sat through entire SD rounds where the attacking team simply camped back in their base.

While I'm not saying users should have no control over what gametype they play - shouldn't the new users that 402 speaks so highly of be introduced properly to these gametypes? For if they cannot navigate such a complicated server browser, how can one expect them to complete such complex tasks as those associated with the various gametypes?

All kidding aside - if what IW is trying to do is make it easier for new users, shouldn't there be a required tutorial or something along those lines when they first start up multiplayer? It could potentially help alleviate some of the issues where users play SD/HQ/etc. as if they are team deathmatch. It would not only help those new users, but it would also relieve much frustration when you have to wait through entire rounds for players to realize that they are not playing TDM.

Re: IW.net vs. New MP Players

I also thought they said IWNet would also group similar skilled players in a game type.

Comment

Pretty much every single thing RB said about IWNet was a damned lie. In the MTV video, nothing but lies. In the BashCast when he started talking about what it would do to make the game better, lies. IWNet is only slightly better in very limited aspects and for a very limited segment of the PC community.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodakk
        402 preached the benefits of using IW.net. The system would eliminate the need for players and communities .
        No need to quote anymore, I think you got the important points right there!

But you are right, there needs to be an introduction to the gametypes. It doesnt even need to be a tutorial, just utilize the loading screen to show the essentials, its not that complicated.

Comment

The best way for a noob to learn is to have their team yell at him, call him a ***, a say he sucks *** and wish they could kick him. Then the player will learn

Comment

If you scroll through the game types it gives a description of the mode, is that it?

What kind of tutorial would you want? I can't think of any FPS game, any cod game for that matter, that gave a tutorial beyond a brief description.

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

BF2 has that stupid narrator-guy who explains everything the first time you do it. Not very helpful, and mostly annoying, but it's there.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                If you scroll through the game types it gives a description of the mode, is that it?

What kind of tutorial would you want? I can't think of any FPS game, any cod game for that matter, that gave a tutorial beyond a brief description.

Crunch
                Iirc Battlefield 2142 gave a tutorial for it's Titan Game mode since nobody had ever played it before.

Comment

OK, so we got a titan tutorial and an annoying guy. So are we wanting something like that in CoD?

Now this is just my opinion, but it seems like a nitpick thing myself. The game modes do have descriptions but what could be added? Do we want a video to watch every mode or a narrator?

Crunch

Comment

I don't really know, it's the same in every game though, BF2/2142 with stupid pilots, CoD4 with gamemodes likes S+D and HQ etc.

Maybe a more detailed description while in the loading screen, for example highlighting the fact that you will not respawn in S+D, and your team will not win in HQ if you don't hold the HQ for long periods of time.

A video would be kinda pointless, but simply actually describing the key points of the gametype could help. For example, I didn't know that in CTF Overtime, it is the first person to grab the opponents flag, and not the first one to get a flag back to the base. That wasn't described at all in the game.

Comment

Thats a pretty good idea, Frosty. Maybe a little side bar just stating what the game is about while waiting for the map to load. Nothing major or overly complicated, but a few rules like, "If you do not capture flags, you will not win." and "Defuse the bomb with the F key or you will lose."

I think that would be nice for the newbs

Crunch

Comment

I just want something that reinforces the fact that the gametype has an objective, and that players should complete it rather than wander around aimlessly.

It isn't hard to understand the gametypes, but apparently it is for some - and I think a tutorial or something might help.

Comment

It isn't hard to understand the gametypes, but apparently it is for some - and I think a tutorial or something might help.
                          To be honest, I always thought that COD4 and on caters to the ADD crowd. They may be aware that there is an objective besides pwning each other, but they dont care.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
                            To be honest, I always thought that COD4 and on caters to the ADD crowd. They may be aware that there is an objective besides pwning each other, but they dont care.
                            I've found that to be quite true, and often times they can't even do that right. It's just amazing to see the transition in games. I remember back when I used to play DF:BHD - my first online game ever - and people communicated, played for the objective (there was no ranking system), and were mature. Now, I find it to be the opposite, everybody is so concerned with their own score that they are immature, rude, and don't play for the team. I've even encountered a lot of kids saying "bg/bad game" at the end of games when they lose - this was never the case back in the good 'ol BHD days.

Comment

I've found that to be quite true, and often times they can't even do that right. It's just amazing to see the transition in games. I remember back when I used to play DF:BHD - my first online game ever - and people communicated, played for the objective (there was no ranking system), and were mature. Now, I find it to be the opposite, everybody is so concerned with their own score that they are immature, rude, and don't play for the team. I've even encountered a lot of kids saying "bg/bad game" at the end of games when they lose - this was never the case back in the good 'ol BHD days.
                              this is why dedicated servers and the ease of locking down private servers was necessary for the more serious gamers/clans. Puggin/scrimmin/matchin is where the strategies and real objectives of the game are actually played. IMO all pubs for every game have the "noob" crowd as described throughout this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X