Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call of Duty has the FPS genre LOCKED DOWN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call of Duty has the FPS genre LOCKED DOWN!

I used to be a real hardcore FPS player, not a clan type but I used to play A LOT! and I have to boast that I kicked some serious butt at most of the games too, very often in top 3 at the end.

Then I stopped playing games. Well, after all the fuss about MW2 I decided to dust off my old DVDs and reinstall Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 4.

After playing them online, I have to say Call of Duty wins, hands down, easily.

The core gameplay mechanics are SOLID, the game, movements, animations, everything feels great, the engine is perfect.

Simply, there is nothing that comes close to it's feeling, it's so addictive, fast paced and exciting, it's crazy. Killing people feels just so great in Call of Duty.

The feeling that can compare CoD to is Tetris, you can just pick it up and you are right in the heat of the game. It's a compact, neat, very action focused game.

Battlefield 2, while I'm in awe at the scale of the the game and the variety of it, it requires a "getting into phase", when you join a server, you have to sprint long distances from position to position, you have to wait for a vehicle, which is usually taken already by somebody, once you build up the game, the game gets awesome but it just requires so much more time, it's much slower paced.

As the society is becoming more and more ADD, unfortunately Battlefield simply cannot deliver the instant gratification Call of Duty can.

If you have quick 5 minutes to play, you can just jump into Call of Duty get to the essence while with Battlefield, you need those 5 minutes just to get warmed up a bit.

As for the engine, Battlefield 2 feels much clunkier, when you jump it feels like you are floating or something, it's hard to jump on to something and balance on small ridges and stuff, the infantry is much more clunky, vehicles though, no game has been able to match BF.

Basically, there is no game that comes even close to Call of Duty right now, Battlefield? No!
    Counter Strike Source? No! - It's amazing that MW topped CSS.
    Unreal Tournament? lol!
    I'm not even going into Wolvenstein, Fuel of War, Crysis, Quake wars, None of them have a lint on CoD.

I doubt BC2 will be able to match Call of Duty, the pace just is not there. AvP, RAGE? lol not a chance.

As much as I hate Infinity Ward now, they got the core gameplay down just perfectly, and as long as they don't ruin that addictive core they will be able to chip away at the game as much as they want, people will buy it.

Just wanted to share my 2c, thank you for reading!

Re: Call of Duty has the FPS genre LOCKED DOWN!

your judging a game made in 2005 against one made in what?2007?

I can agree things are smoother but not totally better IMO

sounds like you have company shares involved

well see when bc2 or bf3 comes out

Comment

Ya cod4 is much faster. But IO in Karkand can get real heated too.

Comment

I don't agree with how CoD4 is addicting, not for me anyway; I'll get bored after a round and turn it off; however, I turn agree with what you're saying about BF2 in the way that it does take a getting used to phase. When I join a server I won't really be enjoying myself until I get into it and start to play as a real squad, but when I do get into it I will play it for a couple rounds/hours.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatEvilGuy
          As the society is becoming more and more ADD, unfortunately Battlefield simply cannot deliver the instant gratification Call of Duty can.
          Not everyone has ADD. The Console-ports are quick to pick up and play, but they also lack the depth to keep me interested for a fraction of the time that a good Battlefield game can.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
            Not everyone has ADD. The Console-ports are quick to pick up and play, but they also lack the depth to keep me interested for a fraction of the time that a good Battlefield game can.
            That's the point here. Sometimes you like it fast, quick and short, but then again those games can't drag you as long as others. Battlefield is so complex it's able to drag you for hours. But yes, of course CoD4 feels newer as it simply is compared to bf2.

Comment

Originally posted by Kradath
              Sometimes you like it fast, quick and short...
              Really?

Also, TF2 totally has the genre locked down for me. Don't know what y'all are on about. I couldn't ever get into BF or CoD (2142 kept me for a few months).

Comment

Originally posted by ThatEvilGuy
                The core gameplay mechanics are SOLID, the game, movements, animations, everything feels great,
                True

If BF inf played like CoD I wouldnt touch another game. Sadly BFs infantry sucks balls

Comment

Originally posted by L3adcannon
                  True

If BF inf played like CoD I wouldnt touch another game. Sadly BFs infantry sucks balls
                  This.

But you can't compare the games really... just different genres, same as CS and all the other games you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainKirk
                    Really?

Also, TF2 totally has the genre locked down for me. Don't know what y'all are on about.
                    This.

Originally posted by L3adcannon
                    True

If BF infantry played like CoD I wouldn't touch another BF game.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainKirk
                      Really?

Also, TF2 totally has the genre locked down for me. Don't know what y'all are on about. I couldn't ever get into BF or CoD (2142 kept me for a few months).
                      That is because 2142 was the bomb Mr Kirk!
                      I played TF2 for a while but i never was "amazed" by it, i like the realism i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by RYKUU
                        That is because 2142 was the bomb Mr Kirk!
                        I played TF2 for a while but i never was "amazed" by it, i like the realism i guess.
                        TF2 is pretty realistic. Not sure why you think otherwise.

Comment

I'd say CoD is a great example of a very polished genre of games and while it is extremely popular now I think pretty much any FPS game can take the spot. I mean the most played game mode is team deathmatch which really isn't anything new or exciting (or mentally challenging for that matter)

TF2 is a great example of a game going it's own way and while it's not as popular as CoD perhaps a damn lot of people play it or know what it is. TF2 is a lot more innovative than any CoD title has ever been

Comment

I think the masses will always prefer playing the more easier games where you're able to get fast into it.

That's why the more complex series try to find the balance between accessibility and complexity.

Comment

Why does fast pace make the game more fun?

Weve had fast paced online games for decades Unreal Tournament+Quake to name a few, its nothing new

Comment

Working...
                              X