Great Game, but IF ONLY...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Game, but IF ONLY...

Ok so I download MW2 off Steam, and had a good day of playing some SP but mostly MP with my clan mates. My initial thoughts are, this is a great game, It had everything CoD4 had and it adds new features which will keep you happy for quite a while.

The perk system is a lot better for me, I like the fact that the first perk is a lot more useful and that you can have a little bit more in your load out.

The graphics are obviously amazing, the game looks amazing even on my ageing gaming PC.

But the part everyone cares about is whether the P2P system is any good.

Well, it's a yes and no answer, I have found that generally it works well, I party up with my friends, and we often get into a game in seconds, and it stays well up untill you get to about 6 + friends who you want to play with, then you hit a little snag.

Once you have 6+ friends you either have to wait a long time for a match vs 6 people (when you have 6) and when you have more you only have one choice of gametype (Groundhog) which is a mix of TDM and Domination. I am not all that upset by this but I thought 9v9 meant we could play 9v9 on anything, not just one gametype :shakehead:

So if you are playing with a large party, don't get too hyped for your game that should start in seconds, because it won't. There are also a lot of bugs when it comes to large parties joining games, I have twice been botted from the party and throw into a random game out of no where, and have numerous disconnects while attempting to connect to servers. Patches/updates may fix this but for now, meh.

When a host leaves the server the game is essentially paused, a new host is chosen, everyone connects and then there is a 5 second countdown for the game to restart. Ok better than everyone getting disconnected but it sure does disrupt gameplay and is very annoying.

The problem I have with P2P (aside from all the above) is the general latency, one minute you can be connected to a local host with nice smooth gaming, next minute you are connected across the pond and your hit reg goes out the window, not cool my friends, not cool. And also, even with a half decent connection, there seem to be latency issues and hit reg issues.

So what would I give the P2P system with have here out of 10, I would say about 4, especially when there was a perfectly good working server system which was aside from "bad servers" flawless in most cases.

This is a great game, but P2P has mared the MP, this could have over taken CoD4 competitively, pubbingly, it could have taken CoD4 to the cleaners and back and back again, but this P2P system is simply not good.

However, don't knock it untill you have tried it, it is still a blast and around £30 for a few months of enjoyment is a great deal, think how much a night with a hooker costs and compare it! :thumbsup:

So my summary, the GAME is great, the P2P system either needs dire improvements or it will remain very poor.

Here's hoping that IW will see what we have said, after TRYING THE GAME, and implement Dedicated Servers for the rest of their PC games and the CoD Series, you can't blame them for trying new things, but this one simply isn't a good idea.

=MNKY= Frosty over and out. :salute:

PS: Just incase any of you start saying "omg go back to 360 or PS3" or w/e, I don't own either and have played CoD4 competitevely and had servers for it, I have played both BF2 and 2142 and had servers for it, so I am not some random person who is trying to swing your thoughts, I am simply telling you guys what a PC gamer thinks of this game.

Re: Great Game, but IF ONLY...

personally, your the last owner of the game that deserves to be flamed. That review seemed to be more neutral than most, instead of either opting to absolute hatred or unneccesary praise that it gets from both parties.

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0
      personally, your the last owner of the game that deserves to be flamed. That review seemed to be more neutral than most, instead of either opting to absolute hatred or unneccesary praise that it gets from both parties.
      Thank you

Comment

But, you are nearly top of that image that shows the Boycott group with people playing

Comment

hey i saw your name on the boycott screenshot, did you get kicked or just leave?

Comment

It is ironic isn't it?
            See Frosty when you have faith in a company?

Comment

Hahaha I knew that would come back to haunt me.

To be fair I was outraged that IW weren't using Dedicated Servers, and I joined those groups out of spite, but after a bit of thought boycotting the game isn't the right idea.

In my eyes IW should be prepared to listen to people who have brought the game and play it a lot, if the people who are playing it reguraly are saying Dedi servers are better, then who else do they have to work for? IW aren't going to listen to people who have simply snubbed the idea since they haven't given it a go, they can't truely compare the two. Hopefully IW will see people have brought the game, not for P2P but for Call of Duty, and hopefully they will listen to us and understand that we are WILLING to try new things, but think this is defenitily not one to carry on supporting. IW gave us CoD4, they can't be that bad can they?

I should have left the groups after buying the game though ^-^, but I am sure you can see my reason.

Also, I think this is a bit of food for thought, do you think IW would make IWNet just for one game and not for future releases, lets hope it is and lets hope they aren't making long term plans for it already.

Comment

I think having IWnet AND dedicated servers would be the way to go with IWnet filling those servers along with favorites for them. Kind of a hybrid system.

How I thought it was going to work was that you could setup a lobby yourself and IWnet would check your bandwidth and fill up the lobby for you with people of lower bandwidth or just wanting to play. Instead its just a heap of people thrown together.

Crunch
                Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                  I think having IWnet AND dedicated servers would be the way to go with IWnet filling those servers along with favorites for them. Kind of a hybrid system.

How I thought it was going to work was that you could setup a lobby yourself and IWnet would check your bandwidth and fill up the lobby for you with people of lower bandwidth or just wanting to play. Instead its just a heap of people thrown together.

Crunch
                  We can always dream Crunch, we can always dream.

Comment

Working...
                  X